Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 11:13 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
They do smell, though.
That is one of the reasons why I prefer the cotton/poly blends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 09:00 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive always thought it was kind of strange that whenever summer comes and the temps start getting into the mid and upper 80s, people start wearing shorts, and sleeveless shirts, (generally LESS clothing) in an attempt to stay cool, but if you look at some of the hottest regions on the planet, the mid east or Mexico for example, where triple digit heat is common, People layer their clothes, wear long sleeve, long pants, robes, etc.

So Im wondering, what type of clothing actually keeps you cooler, shorts and less clothing or long sleeve/ long pants/ more clothing?
I am retired, so my daily outfit is pretty simple. Shorts, tee shirt and flipflops. Occasionally I wear something like I did today, white capris and a longish Eileen Fisher stripe tunic.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:03 AM

23,293 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Having worked physically hard in hot weather the one thing I learned was that bare skin will absorb more heat than skin covered by fabric. Think there have been studies done to prove it. Not to mention getting burned by the sun too. An absorbent fabric cools because moisture can evaporate out of it and cool the skin underneath. An open weave and loose cut allows air to move through it which helps evaporation. For me, loose cut cotton or maybe linens. Synthetic "wicking" fabrics give me serious rashes even in cold conditions.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:05 AM

715 posts, read 1,039,615 times
Default Same here re: UA type / ever-dri shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I like the under armour type clothing too. I still sweat alot, but the material doesnt get that wet and can help to keep you cool. I just wish there was something I could do to not sweat so much on my face and head. Seems like many days, just walking around outside for a short time and my hair is soaking wet and face dripping with sweat.

Ive tried spraying antiperspirant deodorant on my face, but it doesnt help.

When I'm not at work, I also where the under armor and everlast ever-dri t shirts/&White colored in the Carolina summers. I like being outside a lot, so the light fabric works for me. Shade trees and water breaks too ;0)

When I'm at work, we have to wear long sleeve dress shirts and pants and a tie when on location. I'm a videographer, so on days I'll be hauling my video gear and lights to locations in the summer, I wear white dress shirts and lighter color pants. I also like kleinerts undershirts. they wick away any sweat. And They're made in Alabama - so it's nice to own some new shirts that are actually Made in the USA.

You could try sweat block wipes for your sweat, rstevens. They work well. They sell them at any big store - target, Walmart, or Amazon. Also when you can, you might try wearing a hat if you don't already. it will shade your head from the sun which might reduce sweating.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:36 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Thin fabric. For example, if wearing a cotton T-shirt, make sure it's very thin material. These are light in weight.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:00 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
Shorts and a flimsy polyester t-shirt.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:00 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I live in SW Florida where our temps are in the high 90's for about 6 months straight with high humidity. I wear light colored clothing and I never wear jeans or long pants unless I'm going out to dinner. As much as I wear black in the winter (well, what we call winter) I will never wear it from May-November here. I stick with dresses, skirts or city shorts. If I do wear something with long sleeves, it is white and lightweight and I always have on sandals of some type. Maybe in a desert type climate a long robe type thing might feel cooler but when you add in the humidity it doesn't allow your natural perspiration to cool you off at all.

I took my kids to Busch Gardens in Tampa a few years ago. The boys were all wearing dark t-shirts while I was wearing a white shirt. Guess who was complaining about the heat the most?
Yes - in very dry climates you actually DON'T want sweat to evaporate too quickly as it speeds dehydration. Humid climates are the opposite where you want to do what you can to SPEED evaporation (but still stay hydration!).

Old 05-20-2018, 09:48 AM

82 posts, read 78,951 times
T-shirt and jeans seems to do the trick!

Old 05-22-2018, 09:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Natural fibers, loose clothing, light colors, shorter pants. Those are what I choose for hot weather. Also, sandals.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:54 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
In those extremely hot climates overseas, they cover themselves with linen.

I wear linen in summer and I make sure it's a linen KNIT (linen wrinkles easily and if it's not a knit, you have to iron it.) Sleeveless linen knit top and linen shorts. Otherwise I'll wear a 100% cotton top or sun dress. Anything that has polyester or spandex feels like wearing rubber--sticky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty