Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:09 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,439,604 times

Advertisements

I sweat a lot so I am always on the eye out for a good moisture wicking shirt.

The Gerry brand of clothing fit's me well you can buy this shirt on Ebay for less than $20 looks good

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Gerry-M...-/202042129067

I have several Gerry brand shirts and love them they have saved me big time, wear a UA type undershirt under them and good to go for many occasions

REI has some good ones too but they can be pricey $$$

Costco and Sams carry some moisture wicking shirts in spring season for summer, a season ahead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 04:24 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,589,303 times
New Orleans native here, living in Texas now. I prefer 100 percent cotton/linen items. 3/4 length sleeves. Longish, loose shorts. Sandals.

The guys that do my yard though always wear 100 percent cotton long sleeved shirts and loose cotton pants and wide brimmed straw hats.

A few years ago my husband and I were in New Orleans in the summer and by 9 am, I was burning up. I thought I had on a 100 percent cotton shirt, but when my husband checked the label, it was a cotton/poly blend. I immediately stopped at the next clothing store and bought a 100 percent cotton (linen) top and felt fine after that.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:49 PM

3,100 posts, read 2,047,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive always thought it was kind of strange that whenever summer comes and the temps start getting into the mid and upper 80s, people start wearing shorts, and sleeveless shirts, (generally LESS clothing) in an attempt to stay cool, but if you look at some of the hottest regions on the planet, the mid east or Mexico for example, where triple digit heat is common, People layer their clothes, wear long sleeve, long pants, robes, etc.

So Im wondering, what type of clothing actually keeps you cooler, shorts and less clothing or long sleeve/ long pants/ more clothing?
Your instinct is correct that covering up keeps you cooler *if* you have the right fabrics. I tried to find the study on this but haven't yet. Silk was found to keep skin temp the coolest, linen came in second and cotton was third. All three kept skin temps cooler than bare skin.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:55 PM

799 posts, read 443,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I like sweat wicking material like Under Armour. I don't wear shorts in public unless I'm at the beach.

Multiple companies make such clothing in stylish polos, etc.
I don't get it. I tried that Under Armour underwear and it made me feel HOTTER. I always figured it was a scam. LOL.
I also don't get the recommendations for polyester blends. Any synthetic blend feels HOTTER to me. Go figure. I guess some people have different experiences with these materials.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:04 PM

I live in the tropics and I can tell you what I wear:
I wear no underwear and the thinnest cotton pants I can find. Shorts won't work due to various bugs which bite exposed skin.
I wear this cotton shirts 2 sizes too big for me. Granted if I'm going "to town" I'll wear maybe a size just a little bigger but at home I wear button cotton shirts 2 sizes too big, made with the thinnest material I can find.
So to me, the key is air circulation which is better with loose fitting thin cotton and button shirts instead of t-shirts.
I wear a hat to block the sun and use sun block but the hat does make one sweat more it seems (at least it does me).

Also if you are living in a very hot humid place you do get somewhat used to it.

As to the natives of these hot humid climates, they accustom themselves so much to the climate that they do wear long sleeves and on an un-air-conditioned bus they don't even worry about the heat, they won't even open the windows while us gringos are suffering from the heat in there which is like a sauna!

Some say those polyester blend wicking clothes work for them. But they don't work for me, at least none I've tried.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:35 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,877 times
All the landscapers here in this hot climate wear long sleeves but I figured it was to protect from bugs and sunburn, not to stay cooler!

Old 05-25-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
All the landscapers here in this hot climate wear long sleeves but I figured it was to protect from bugs and sunburn, not to stay cooler!
It does seem that people who were born in hot climates seem to be able to wear long sleeves in these hot climates.

I marvel at this. I have tried and even with very breathable long sleeve shirts I can't stand it for more than a few minutes!

It must also depend on other factors because I have a friend from England (NOT a hot climate) and he will wear long sleeves all the time, even on the hottest days and on a hot muggy bus for example.

Me, the less clothes the better but since there are bug issues where I live I do have to wear long pants, then I use anti-bug spray or lotion on my arms, with sunblock, but I cannot wear long sleeves!
As I said previously, loose fitting thin cotton is what I think works best. Think "summer pajamas" sized way too big. LOL.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,055,515 times
I live in South Florida and wear the same thing all the time.

White jeans, Manolos, and a tee of some color.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:03 PM

14,263 posts, read 11,578,880 times
I live in SoCal and I can't wear jeans or long sleeves when the temperature goes above 80. I would be absolutely miserable. I live in shorts and T-shirts for half the year.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:28 AM

1 posts, read 422 times
Cotton. Cotton is one the best fabrics for hot weather.
Linen. Linen is another top choice for a breathable fabric to wear in hot weather conditions.
Rayon. Rayon is a man-made fabric blended from cotton, wood pulp, and other natural or synthetic fibers.
Denim/Chambray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty