Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 06:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

Ive always thought it was kind of strange that whenever summer comes and the temps start getting into the mid and upper 80s, people start wearing shorts, and sleeveless shirts, (generally LESS clothing) in an attempt to stay cool, but if you look at some of the hottest regions on the planet, the mid east or Mexico for example, where triple digit heat is common, People layer their clothes, wear long sleeve, long pants, robes, etc.

So Im wondering, what type of clothing actually keeps you cooler, shorts and less clothing or long sleeve/ long pants/ more clothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 07:10 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I live in SW Florida where our temps are in the high 90's for about 6 months straight with high humidity. I wear light colored clothing and I never wear jeans or long pants unless I'm going out to dinner. As much as I wear black in the winter (well, what we call winter) I will never wear it from May-November here. I stick with dresses, skirts or city shorts. If I do wear something with long sleeves, it is white and lightweight and I always have on sandals of some type. Maybe in a desert type climate a long robe type thing might feel cooler but when you add in the humidity it doesn't allow your natural perspiration to cool you off at all.

I took my kids to Busch Gardens in Tampa a few years ago. The boys were all wearing dark t-shirts while I was wearing a white shirt. Guess who was complaining about the heat the most?

Old 05-18-2018, 07:33 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
A few years ago, I went to visit my son in San Diego, in the month of February. I asked him, before the trip...how should I pack? (I'm from St. Louis).

He tells me "Just pack what you'd normally wear."

Boy was that a mistake. My second day there, I asked him to take me to the Ross store, so I could buy some shorts and lighter shirts, and a pair of canvas flats.

I'm trying to survive 80 degree days, in sweaters, boots and jeans. LOL

Old 05-18-2018, 07:42 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I like sweat wicking material like Under Armour. I don't wear shorts in public unless I'm at the beach.

Multiple companies make such clothing in stylish polos, etc.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:18 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Longer sleeves and pants are meant to keep the sun from your skin and prevent sunburn. Loose clothing traps a layer of air next to your skin, being able to sweat helps keep you cooler. Go for long, loose, and breathable fabrics if you plan on spending a lot of time in a hot and sunny environment.
I used to wear a lot of gauze shirts and dresses when I lived on the gulf coast, very comfortable.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:40 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I like sweat wicking material like Under Armour. I don't wear shorts in public unless I'm at the beach.

I like hybrid piqué/performance polos, which have the moisture wicking properties of performance polos but maintain the traditional look of piqué polos. Typically these will be a cotton/poly blend. There is one style that I have a lot of that I can share.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:03 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

100% polyester wicking, these never shrink, stain, or fade.
Feels like you're not even wearing a shirt.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I live in SW Florida where our temps are in the high 90's for about 6 months straight with high humidity. I wear light colored clothing and I never wear jeans or long pants unless I'm going out to dinner. As much as I wear black in the winter (well, what we call winter) I will never wear it from May-November here. I stick with dresses, skirts or city shorts. If I do wear something with long sleeves, it is white and lightweight and I always have on sandals of some type. Maybe in a desert type climate a long robe type thing might feel cooler but when you add in the humidity it doesn't allow your natural perspiration to cool you off at all.

I took my kids to Busch Gardens in Tampa a few years ago. The boys were all wearing dark t-shirts while I was wearing a white shirt. Guess who was complaining about the heat the most?
According to some people in the middle east, where it gets extremely hot, they claim the layers of robes/clothing and sweat actually help to keep them cool though. Ive heard this said about the turbans they wear on their heads, where most of the bodies heat escapes.

If this works in 120 degrees plus, surely it would work in 90s temps I would think.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:29 AM

I like the under armour type clothing too. I still sweat alot, but the material doesnt get that wet and can help to keep you cool. I just wish there was something I could do to not sweat so much on my face and head. Seems like many days, just walking around outside for a short time and my hair is soaking wet and face dripping with sweat.

Ive tried spraying antiperspirant deodorant on my face, but it doesnt help.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:31 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
100% polyester wicking, these never shrink, stain, or fade.
They do smell, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty