Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 09:56 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times

Advertisements

I’ve had a pretty set list of shapes and colored I like in my clothing for a while now. And one of my beefs in years past was that if your favorite shape/color/fit wasn’t in season, it could be quite hard to find things to wear in certain seasons at the mainstream stores.

Old reliable stores for classic stuff went trend or out of business or low quality. Or they are geared for someone way older than me. New brands all skew towards on trend all the time.

Now I am finding there are so many new brands that create their look and have the same thing year after year in a few colors. They may add a seasonal color, but all in all it is all the same. I’ve found a few brands that have perfect pieces for me worth the splurge. And they are reliable sources for things that scream me. As I am cleaning out my closet I’m glad I can tag a few sources for the replacements.

Some of the reliable brands I am liking now: Les Lunes, Universal Standard, Of Mercer, MM Lafleur, and Leota.

Have you noticed this too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 10:28 AM

669 posts, read 581,544 times
How old are you? What the heck are you talking about?

I am in mid-life.

Hate leggings on anyone over the age of 21 and on anyone overweight.
Always disliked the “cold shoulder” tops. See above age and weight thing....sorry.

Trendy is fine for the most part but I tend to be “classic” ...always have. I cover up...no boobs hanging out.

No to tattoos.

No to rainbow hair color.

Discuss.........

Old 05-26-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post

I am in mid-life.

Always disliked the “cold shoulder” tops. See above age and weight thing....sorry.

Trendy is fine for the most part but I tend to be “classic” ...always have. I cover up...no boobs hanging out.

No to tattoos.

Discuss.........
I’m about to turn 40. I like to be a bit on trend. But I don’t need to dive all the way in. I alsl like classics done in an interesting way. I also like patterns.

A decade ago Gap, Old Navy, Nordstrom, Ann Taylor, Target and Banana Republic were my go tos. Nowadays my workplace isnsuper casual so I had to retire my pencil skirts. I mostly wear printed dresses, skinny jeans, cardigans and abstract patterned tops. Leggings on ocassion.

I’ve become somewhat trendier as I have gotten older. But recent trends have been terrible.

Talbots is too matronly. Ann Taylor is now too boring. Gap sucks now even for basics. Old Navy is trend driven on trends I hate. My fave brands at Nordstrom seem to suck now (either lower in quality or victim to those bad trends). So I have been struggling shopping in store and have been resorting to more online stuff.

I like the idea of Eleen Fisher’s basics but those clothes look horrible on me, and I do not like that much solid colored stuff. Universal Standard is like edgy Eileen Fisher.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:44 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post

I am in mid-life.

No to tattoos.

Discuss.........
With a all due respect, sincerely. ROFLO

To each their own, live and let live imho, regardless of age, weight, height, disproportionate symmetrical body allocation or other unsightly physical attributes...or national origin (just in case).

IF (and that's a big IF) I don't like the way something looks on somebody, I chalk that up to some people just don't give a damn what OTHER people think and they let their freak flag fly. Good for them!

I suppose I just have bigger fish to fry and wholeheartedly couldn't care less what other people wear.

For me, personally I also prefer a classic look as I feel it is timeless (more or less) and a stellar look in general. But, that's what I prefer and I am sure people look at my choices and think I'm an 'old fuddy duddy' and I don't care what they think as well.

My first 2 cents for the day.

ETA:Oh and P.S. Just a reminder STLgaltoo (now that I've bitten the bait as it were and gone off topic) the Op is' What I love about style and shopping now

Sincere apologies jade408!

For my age and my preferences I am still able to find the clothing items I prefer at various stores and I don't have a problem, however my choices are classic (ex: long sleeved white lady's dress shirt and black jeans/dress slacks with a lightly flared leg.

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 05-26-2018 at 12:00 PM..

Old 05-26-2018, 04:41 PM

189 posts, read 166,083 times
I like some Eileen Fisher things but am not a fan of long tunics or stuff that is too loose. My 75 year old mother loves it though, and on a recent shopper trip with her I picked up a great navy dress with elbow length sleeves and side zipper detail. On sale and machine washable...score!

My favorite clothing brand right now is Vince. Love everything I have from them. Plain but luxury fabrics and nice details. It’s expensive though. Also like Tory Burch, Theory, and Rag and Bone but these are even pricier. Join and Splendid for casual but I tend to boho.

Totally agree with your comments about the decline of Banana Republic and Gap. Add J.Crew to that list too. Although I do like BR’s Sloane pants.

Thanks for the heads up on those other brands. I’d only heard of MM Lafleur. Have you bought from them?

Old 05-26-2018, 04:52 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,643,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieRose View Post
I like some Eileen Fisher things but am not a fan of long tunics or stuff that is too loose. My 75 year old mother loves it though, and on a recent shopper trip with her I picked up a great navy dress with elbow length sleeves and side zipper detail. On sale and machine washable...score!

My favorite clothing brand right now is Vince. Love everything I have from them. Plain but luxury fabrics and nice details. It’s expensive though. Also like Tory Burch, Theory, and Rag and Bone but these are even pricier. Join and Splendid for casual but I tend to boho.

Totally agree with your comments about the decline of Banana Republic and Gap. Add J.Crew to that list too. Although I do like BR’s Sloane pants.

Thanks for the heads up on those other brands. I’d only heard of MM Lafleur. Have you bought from them?
Eileen Fisher and Chicos for me. Just bought two EF maxi dresses in a tank style, one sort of a menswear gray linen and the other black. OMgosh how I love them!

I only shop on-line and loathe going to B&M stores. Only to return an item (to Nieman-Marcus today)....

Old 05-26-2018, 04:53 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,003 times
No, I don't find that brands carry the same thing unless it's some classic brand like Brooks Brothers, and in response to what seems to be your saying that you buy clothing incessantly, every season, I certainly don't do that.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieRose View Post

Yes! I grabbed a top from there and have a pretty long wish list. They have a pop up locally. The fit is great but I don’t need a ton of dressy work clothing. So I am sorting out what will fill in some gaps in my closet.

I’ve been on a mission for a perfect white shirt for a while and theirs looks perfect. I’ll grab it once my weight loss efforts are over. That’s one of those things that size is critical for the fit I want. But I have to figure out how often I’ll actually wear it. :P I don’t wear solids often so I have to decide if it is the right splurge for me. The top I bought I have worn weekly since I got it. So it is a winner.

I feel like for a while, like let’s pretend your style was boho 70s, you’d have to wait around for that look to come back in season. Now there is a brand for every style - not just classics. It is a big improvement.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
No, I don't find that brands carry the same thing unless it's some classic brand like Brooks Brothers, and in response to what seems to be your saying that you buy clothing incessantly, every season, I certainly don't do that.
Not necessarily but I do find some things need replacement. And yes I do like to get something sort of trendy once and a while. At the moment I’ve lost some pounds (about 2 sizes) so some of my faves no longer fit some I am strategically replacing. While some stuff works across a few sizes, a out of stuff in my closet looks terrible and too baggy so I need to fill in the gaps. As I have been the same size for a while now - most of the stuff I got last time I was this size I got rid of. Or no longer suits my lifestyle.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:15 PM

189 posts, read 166,083 times
Agree on the need to replace things, classic pieces like white Ts and blouses, black pants, etc. After multiple wears/washes they start to look worn.

I also like to mix in some new things to refresh the wardrobe each season. I’m the opposite, wearing mainly solids and mixing in a print or embellished item as an accent.

Congrats on the weight loss! I did the same thing about 5 years ago. Started running and dropped 2 dress sizes. Had to get rid of a ton of clothes and I started replacing with quality stuff. Some of my good things I had altered. I’m working towards more of a capsule wardrobe with lots of pieces that mix/match and Vince is great for that. MM Lafleur looks like a capsule type company as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty