Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 04:39 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
whatever amount of money you get, when you sell it and all the grief that it held inside..... turn the bad into good and donate your small windfall to a veterans organization like Lifeline for Veterans...... that way all will not be for naught and you will help a homeless veteran
Hey, this is a good idea.

The thread title caught my eye because I've still got my wedding ring even though I've been divorced for 17 years. I come across it every so often. One day I thought maybe it was negative mojo keeping that thing around. It's a plain gold band, so it's not worth much, and I thought I might just throw it into the ocean, but Dad was a disabled vet and maybe that's what I should do.

Or throw it into the ocean AND make a donation to Lifeline for Veterans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 06:23 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Why would anyone get a men’s wedding ring band for $500?

I, the man, bought my mens wedding ring for like $15. I usually only wear my silicone safety band that I got off amazon for like $10.

Men should not have fancy jewelry. You get the nice fancy ring for your woman and stick with the cheap one. No one cares about the ring on a man’s finger.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:37 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I got divorced over a year ago and I now have a men's gold wedding ring that I want to get rid of. It's nothing fancy. I originally paid about $500. Where is the best place to sell it, and how much should I expect to get for it? I know there are online places that buy gold, but how do I know who is reputable? Is it better to sell to a local jeweler? The inside of the ring is inscribed with my wedding date (not sure if that impacts the value at all).
Is the ring a brand name?

If Tiffany or Cartier ... that makes a huge difference.

Also what K is it 10, 14, 18 etc.

If not you are getting the weight the gold ... I would gets $80-$120

If you want to try to get more for it list if on a resale website ebay, craiglist etc and see if someone wants to buy it locally.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:40 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Do those Gold and Silver Exchange stores pay well? I’ve never tried to sell anything.
No lol.

They have to make money so they have to buy as low as possible.

Personally when I have gold stuff I want to re-sell I re-sell myself to get the most back for it.

The cost of jewelry is more based on design then weight. The gold weight price is usually pathetically low compared to the re-sale price.

There are a few places in my city that also re-seller designer items so they offer cash or double the cash value towards a store credit.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:41 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Why would anyone get a men’s wedding ring band for $500?

I, the man, bought my mens wedding ring for like $15. I usually only wear my silicone safety band that I got off amazon for like $10.

Men should not have fancy jewelry. You get the nice fancy ring for your woman and stick with the cheap one. No one cares about the ring on a man’s finger.
In my opinion a $500 is a cheap ring, but if you know you are not in to jewelry then I agree no point spending a lot on something you wont wear.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:30 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I have a bit of expertise in this area since I am an investor in one of the largest and longest established pawn shops in the San Fernando Valley, and also buy a lot of jewelry from them, and from one of the largest coin dealers. (Yes I get an investor price at my pawn shop, I automatically get the lowest price they'd ever sell stuff for, and bypass the haggling.)

Basically any pawn shop or coin dealer is going to give you only what it's worth as scrap. It doesn't matter what size or brand or anything. Note that if it has precious stones that will count in the value. But essentially you are liquidating the jewelry for scrap price. If it's just gold or silver they weigh it and that's what it is worth.

I doubt that anybody wants your ring as some kind of special brand or anything. There is just no market for second hand jewelry, unless you can eBay it or as klmrocks said above, sell it yourself.

Take it to a few of the larger coin shops and pawn dealers, cut your best deal. Don't ask them to pay more, they won't.

The key to what I am saying is get multiple offers then take the best one. And silver? Just forget it. You might as well throw it in the bottom of your jewelry box. I buy silver pinkie rings for $10-$15.

I bought a much heavier gold neck chain and asked them what they'd give me trade-in for my old, finer chain. It turned out it wasn't worth the powder to blow it. It's sitting at the bottom of my jewelry box, perhaps some day to add a pendant and give to a nice lady.

I don't see any way out of this except to sell it for scrap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty