Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 03:24 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times

Advertisements

I'm no expert but some things just do not look good. An old friend just posted a pic of himself on Facebook wearing a new black suit. Looked great except for his white socks glaring out. Someone commented on it and he said "if I wear them together, they go together". I didn't have the heart to tell him how goofy it looked.

IMHO, white socks are fine with jeans or shorts and sneakers. I wear them every day with work clothes and boots. I wear them with shorts and sneakers. They might look OK with a white suit. NOT with dark suits.

Even worse? A suit and sneakers together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 09:28 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
No bueno. White socks would never be appropriate with a dark suit.

There are very few contexts outside of sports/fitness where white crew socks are fashionable. I mean, you *can* wear them with jeans and sneakers and nobody is going to arrest you, but it isn't a stylish look.

It might rankle some traditionalists but IMO it is possible to pull off sneakers with a suit in certain very specific contexts. It needs to be a more casual, unstructured suit and you would want to go for a slim, minimal sneaker with no (or very, very subtle) branding, something like these Common Projects Achilles Low: https://www.barneys.com/product/comm...503141872.html And still, while this look might be good for the ballet or a casual wedding, it's not what you want to wear to a job interview or something.

As a final note- if you need another thing to not tell your friend- black suits are pretty unfashionable and best avoided outside of something like a funeral. The conventional wisdom as far a basic dark colors go is to is to stick to navy and dark grays.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:10 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
I think those doing that want to make a scene as witnessed by this post.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:33 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
No bueno. White socks would never be appropriate with a dark suit.

There are very few contexts outside of sports/fitness where white crew socks are fashionable. I mean, you *can* wear them with jeans and sneakers and nobody is going to arrest you, but it isn't a stylish look.

It might rankle some traditionalists but IMO it is possible to pull off sneakers with a suit in certain very specific contexts. It needs to be a more casual, unstructured suit and you would want to go for a slim, minimal sneaker with no (or very, very subtle) branding, something like these Common Projects Achilles Low: https://www.barneys.com/product/comm...503141872.html And still, while this look might be good for the ballet or a casual wedding, it's not what you want to wear to a job interview or something.

As a final note- if you need another thing to not tell your friend- black suits are pretty unfashionable and best avoided outside of something like a funeral. The conventional wisdom as far a basic dark colors go is to is to stick to navy and dark grays.
I think sneakers can work with a suit if the suit is relatively casual and has a slim cut, and is worn without a tie. I have seen this look quite a bit in the past few months.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:06 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Fashion sneakers (not athletic sneakers) can absolutely work with a suit, but it can't be a standard bankers suit in a traditional cut. There has to be something fashion forward about it ... slim cut, interesting color, pattern, unique details, etc. With a tie is fine.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:20 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Black shoes should be worn with a black suit and the socks should match either the shoes or the pants (in this case, black).

Old 06-06-2018, 11:43 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
white socks with a black suit only makes one look like a Michael Jackson Impersonator. Dont do it! Black suit with black socks. There is an option , like red socks or other fancy looking socks, but never ever white.

White dress socks goes with a White or Cream colored suit. One would look like a plumber wearing a suit and white socks, when he does not hardly wear a suit. No dis respect to plumbers. It is Almost as bad as wearing white shoes with a dark suit. Men wearing white suits? what , is it your Holy Communion?

Old 06-07-2018, 01:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Didn’t David Letterman wear white socks with suits?

Old 06-07-2018, 01:59 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
white socks with a black suit only makes one look like a Michael Jackson Impersonator.

Or Elwood Blues.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:53 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Didn’t David Letterman wear white socks with suits?
It's a eccentric "trademark" move... but not what most people would want to do in the usual settings for which a suit would be appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty