Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 11:47 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times

Advertisements

It takes me 2 seconds to pick out an international tourist and 2 seconds to pick out the tourists from outside of the northeast. Someone mentioned that you could be harassed by peddlers who will notice that you are a visitor. They stand around and try to convince you to take their bus tour or on 34th Street and ask "going up" meaning they want to sell you tickets to the observatory at the Empire State Building. These guys know exactly who to approach and who to leave alone.

Good points about having people step on your feet and that can hurt when wearing sandals. If they are slides, someone behind you could step on your heel and they will fall off.

Just wear comfortable clothes for sightseeing. Yeah, we do tend to wear dark colors, especially black, all year long, even in the summer heat. Nothing wrong with navy blue, but the idea that navy is a spring color is something that my mother would say. It's passe. I think it's pretty obvious that it looks silly to wear a tee shirt that says I love NY or NYC or a picture of the statue of liberty. Buy one and wear it at home. Wear clothes that are appropriate for the outdoor weather. You're not going to be running in and out of buildings. There will always be walking outside, even if you take cabs, and I guarantee that you will be standing outside on lines waiting to see the attractions or a show.

Southerners tend to love cardigans. Not so much of that in NYC. And as I previously mentioned, if you are coming in April, you'll need something heavier than just a sweater. Unless you are coming in June, it will be too cold for shorts, and even then it still might be too chilly. Contrary to popular belief, the "spring" season is very short and unpredictable in NY. It can be windy and cooler by the water. It turns from winter to summer without much time in between. In contrast, we have a true autumn season.

Bring at least one pair of black slacks or leggings. As you walk around, you'll see that most women are wearing black on their lower half, if they aren't wearing a dress or skirt. You don't have to bring a dress or a skirt. Dressy pants will suffice in nicer restaurants. If you like designer clothes, that's fine, but don't feel obligated to wear designer crap. No one is looking at the label and DVF is for frumpy grandmas.

As someone else mentioned, don't bring a large backpack. Not only does it get shoved in people's faces who are walking behind you, it will slow you down during security checks when you visit attractions. They will check bags at concerts and Broadway shows.

Last edited by Coney; 06-09-2018 at 12:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 01:46 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Anything else that I got wrong? LOL I am from the UES, but perhaps I was skewed more mature than the OP actually may be. Remember, she's not coming to work, so the black, black, black is true for work, but color is allowed, at least where I tend to go, especially for someone on vacation. I mentioned navy because it's okay not to wear black.

A tourist can wear black from head to toe and still get approached by the ticket salespeople and such, since the attitude and way one carries oneself is more important sometimes. My girlfriend has never been hassled, and she's from California.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-09-2018, 08:43 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

Unless you are coming in June, it will be too cold for shorts, and even then it still might be too chilly.
No! That is not true. Half of the days this May were 75+, with 3-5 days at 90+. I would've been uncomfortable in long pants. Hell, even April had quite a few shorts days this year. But, there were also some rainy days where hot-weather residents would've been cold. So the point is to look at the weather forecast and dress appropriately, NOT to just assume 'May is too cold for shorts.'

Old 06-09-2018, 09:40 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Thank you for your feedback!

Fascinating that your feet would get DIRTY walking in sandals. Trying to wrap my head around that.

Thanks also for the shoe recommendations, because since I wear sandals exclusively (even in the rain), I need something non-confining.

I did think of the black clothing option - even in spring?

I'd better get busy, this is going to be a completely different wardrobe for wearing just for a week!
I live near the beach in NJ and have worked in Manhattan for forty years. It always amazes me when I see people wearing flipflops in the city. I don't wear them because they don't stay on my feet and I have no idea how other people get them to stay on their feet, lol, but apparently people do because a lot of people wear flipflops.

I am not even a particular clean freak or germ nut, but the sidewalks of New York are too often spit on, pissed on by dogs and humans, having rats running over them at night, etc., and I don't see why anyone would want to walk nearly-barefoot on them. There's no way some of that detritus is NOT getting on your exposed feet!

Decent, well-constructed sandals with a thick sole would probably not be that bad. However, NYC is a walking city, and you will walk a lot on a hard surface, so do your feet a favor and wear something supportive for comfort rather than trying to look cutesy and suffering for it later. Most women wear sneakers to commute and change into shoes kept at the office for a reason.

But forget about footwear for a moment. The most important thing you need to remember when walking in New York City is to NOT STOP DEAD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SIDEWALK SEEMINGLY UNAWARE THAT THERE ARE A THOUSAND PEOPLE BEHIND YOU. LOL, but that is one of the biggest complaints New Yorkers have about tourists. They often seem oblivious to their surroundings and the fact that it is a pedestrian's city. If you need to stop, think, text, look at a map or whatever, please have the courtesy to step off to the side. Would you suddenly just throw your car into park in the middle of the road where you live? No.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

For clothing, comfortable casual dresses are always an option. Also, leggings with a long tunic top would work for most places and also be comfortable.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:48 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

And as I previously mentioned, if you are coming in April, you'll need something heavier than just a sweater. Unless you are coming in June, it will be too cold for shorts, and even then it still might be too chilly.
I've been in NYC in April a couple of times, and it was glorious! I wore sleeveless dresses the entire time. IMO, the ONLY times to visit NYC are April/May, and September. But the last few years have seen more severe winters, so maybe the weather pattern is changing; winter-ish weather lasting longer into Spring?

Old 06-09-2018, 09:48 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Doesn't matter what you wear, anybody from beach country with tanned and rough skin are seen as tourists or out of towners.

Even people in NYC that get tanned do not have tanned wrinkly skins like from the South or West coast.

Just wear a simple shirt and shorts. Have a small or medium backpack not those stupid mountain climbing backpacks I keep seeing Europeans show up in Times Square looking like they're about to go hiking and taking up so much space.

Do not wear the same damn shirt as the rest of your family or crew. I often see tourists all wear some I Love NY or Yankees shirt exactly the same and then wear jeans the same color as everybody else. Be yourself and have your own look regardless what style or fashion.

I go to work in NYC everyday and spot tourists and out of towners easily. If you look like one of them you'll get harassed by tons of annoying peddlers.
Hahaha, that's so true! The Statue of Liberty cruise people, the comedy club people, the scalpers outside Madison Square Garden, and downtown, the World Trade Center booklet people who I so very badly want to punch hard in the face.

Walk as if you belong there, as if you know where you're going even if you don't, and you'll get harassed less by scammers. On the other hand, if you need to ask for directions, New Yorkers are used to that so don't be afraid to do so. Safest to choose people to ask who look as if they work in an office. This is NOT to say that everyone who is not in business attire is somehow a bad person because that is not true at all, but it's just a good rule for out-of-towners. The Wall Street types might scam your grandma out of her life savings, but they probably won't lead you into an alley and take your wallet and phone.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Ok - you people are awesome. I love the blog and also TravelSmith, which I had never heard of!

Thank you!
Great! Have fun planning and buying.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:30 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
I am thinking of going to New York in the spring and I want to start collecting pieces to take.

I live in a very casual beach community, where people wear beachwear, year-round - so planning to actually wear shoes is a big deal (will probably go with sandals).

Is there a certain casual vibe that will work for dining out in nice restaurants? Or MUST you dress to the nines to dine out in most places?
I was born in NYC and I grew up in it's out skits. Moved back in my 20s and I was there last summer. I too am no "spring chicken".

That said, NYers don't "dress their age" the way people in other parts of the country do. Older or younger, they dress more similarly than differently. Younger NYC women are less overtly sexy than 18 - 30 year old women are in other places. (except in the outer boroughs - but it depends upon where) You will see a 70 year old woman with shoulder length, well cut and conditioned grey hair, and a 29 year old with the same hairstyle. Both may be wearing black well cut ankle length slacks, a black and white thin striped boat neck 3/4 length sleeve knit top, and black ballet flats. Both will look great.

If you watched "Sex and the City" - no one dresses up that way in NY. NO ONE. And few people have the money for all sorts of designer clothes.

I agree with the people who said that tanned skin will set you apart. Here are some other things that will - a hair do that requires lots of maintenance, volume, teasing, hair spray or flounce. No beauty pageant big hair. Pastels? Almost never. No florals. If you choose a print, it should be subdued. Thin stripes are OK as are tiny polka dots, but always with something solid. Denim isn't big in NY, but if you choose it, choose black or very dark navy.

Black is best. In the summer, white is seen - but mostly on top.

Since I don't know how you dress or your body type, it's difficult to recommend exact outfits. Last summer I visited NYC for a week. I am 5'3" and I wear a 2-4.

I brought two pairs of black, slim cut pants, ankle length, a black pencil skirt, A white sleeveless top with black piping, a few different black tee skirts, a few tank tops (cotton) to layer (for very hot days) a black motorcycle style jacket, a simple black sheath dress, a black vintage 1950s cardigan sweater with beading (thrift store find) suede pointed toe Cuban heel booties (yes, people wear booties in the summer) a pair of pointy, black ankle strap shoes with an open back, a pair of black ballet flats and a pair of red ones, and one pair of shorts. Not very short. Walking shorts.

None of it was expensive or designer. Aside from the thrift store cardigan, most of my clothes were from Banana Republic, Express and TJMaxx.

There are good finds at these stores.

NY does not really warm up until July. That said, you could get a hot day.

If you get a manicure, shorter nails are more usual. No jewels or paintings! Black and red are classic, but right now, grey, grey tinted with lavender, light blue, and dark blue are popular.

If you have more questions, I'd be happy to help.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:54 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
My NYC trip wardrobe would be lots of black Eileen Fisher, a lightweight puffy vest in black, a couple long sleeve tees one white one black, dark wash jeans, black slim ankle pant, long black skirt, nice white shirt. Black leather Eileen Fisher sneakers and EF lace up shootie (dressy)....

If that isnt enough you can always go shopping.....

Old 06-09-2018, 05:17 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
I'm wondering how many people who responded even live in NYC.

Anyway OP, don't worry about what to wear here. People are all different and unique and all have their own style.
Be you, dress how you like, and be comfortable for your visit. Also don't worry about your age. Dress for what looks good on you, not how you think someone should dress. I've seen woman close to 70 rock a tight little black dress with 4 inch heels and they look great!

I wear a lot of black and grey year round but thats because its what I like and easy for me.
People who live here wear open toe shoes and sandals all the time. Yes the city is dirty but you take a shower when you get back to your hotel. No big thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty