Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 10:24 PM

6,404 posts, read 6,303,792 times

Advertisements

What have been the costs and results?

I LOVE LINEN in summer but hate to iron it. Thinking of trying out for 5-10 things but if the price is like $5 a piece then not worth it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 06:29 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,366,864 times
Buy an iron & ironing board and your problem is solved. It doesn't take long and it's better than spending money to have something ironed. Some dry cleaners will not iron clothes that they haven't cleaned because ironing it can set stains or body odor into the garment. I hate cleaning the bathroom but I do it anyway rather than have a nasty, dirty bathroom.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:42 AM

6,404 posts, read 6,303,792 times
Thanks. My problem is that I can literally spend an hour on one pair on linen pants. I take them out “almost dry” and use starch but still, doesn’t seem to be jiving.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:07 AM

24,769 posts, read 11,091,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Thanks. My problem is that I can literally spend an hour on one pair on linen pants. I take them out “almost dry” and use starch but still, doesn’t seem to be jiving.
Then you do not know how to iron. Do not over spin, shake, hang on clamp hanger with creases on place, iron pockets/fly inside out, stretch, iron with a thin cotton cloth to avoid shiny seams. Finish drying on hanger.

Have a very good iron. Mine takes almost a cup of water for a western shirt. Cleaners refuse to handle them.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:29 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,438,121 times
putting linen pants into the dryer is a no no. Hang dry out of the washer then iron while still damp, yes it takes a little more effort but the results are worth it.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:46 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,330,657 times
Default Does anyone here get (some of) their clothes pressed without washed?

Quote:
What have been the costs and results?

I LOVE LINEN in summer but hate to iron it. Thinking of trying out for 5-10 things but if the price is like $5 a piece then not worth it.

Thanks!
I never press clothing which hasn't been washed and I would'nt pay to have them pressed (washed or otherwise) either.

I used to love linen slacks and cotton blouses but over the years I have learned to appreciate clothing with a polyester blend.

I wash and dry some of them (and remove them from the dryer immediately) or shake them out and hang them up to air dry.

But I am older now so I don't have any particular need or desire for "high maintenance" clothing (or people for that matter).

Old 06-10-2018, 12:09 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,721,189 times
the cost of just press is too much, not worth it. Recently i helped my little brother move in for his summer internship. Some of his clothes got wrinkled during the move, especially his suits looked bit creased. Him being an almost 21 year old, he wasn't comfortable ironing suit. So asked local dry cleaner. We went to 3 different place.. All of them gave similar answer

cost to press one time - $5
Cost to dry clean and press one item - $5.50
It was the same for shirt

Old 06-10-2018, 02:18 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,731,011 times
For my whole working life I ironed my own suits and sport coats, usually weekly. It was far too expensive to have them dry cleaned just to get rid of the wrinkles. No, I did not use starch, though while in the military I sent my Class A shirts to a professional laundry for heavy starch. They stayed presentable for more than one wearing that way.

My mother taught me how to press a suit when I was 14 years old. It's not rocket science.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:50 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,028,456 times
Quote:
I have the same problem, so with materials such as linen, I either wash by hand (soak in cool water with a bit of dissolved shampoo, then hang up soaking wet in the tub to drip dry... no squeezing or wringing) or use those Dryel home dry cleaning kits. The problem is your linen pants are being wrung out in the washer & that's causing creases I've also found impossible to totally eliminate once dry.

The day of affordable pressing or dry cleaning, in my experience, is gone. I remember when it cost under $8 to dry clean a long, heavy, wool winter coat with a lining. I began using Dryel when I went to have a short, lined skirt cleaned 7-yrs ago & it was $10. It was an Ann Taylor skirt I'd bought on sale for $9.

Haven't dry cleaned since then.

Also, you might find some YTube vids on how to iron wrinkled linen. There are tons of them, but I haven't watched them, so don't know which you'd find helpful. If the pants are dry, you could mist them slightly with water, place a damp dry tea towel on top of it to iron on steam on the board. That's what my mum would have done, back in the day when there were only natural fabrics that all had to be ironed.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rinkled+linen+

Good luck! Let us know what worked.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:46 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,497,223 times
Only items I have pressed are some pleated skirts. Cost 7.00 each.

Beyond that I love.....and I mean love to iron!!

Linen is not an hour effort to press. Try ten minutes perhaps. I use a steamer...get one of those if your intimidated by ironing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty