Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 03:05 PM

160 posts, read 335,467 times

Advertisements

Well, obviously the price. By mid-range I'm referring to jeans that generally cost between $60-120 USD regular price before tax. The following brands: Levi's, Gap(maybe excluding their less expensive sister brand Old Navy and their other more expensive sister brand Banana Republic which has a limited jeans selection), Guess, CK, Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, Buffalo, Lucky Brand, Abercrombie, Parasuco.

By designer I mean the following brands that cost at least $200 USD: True Religion, Seven For Mankind, Citizens for Humanity, Diesel, Hudson, Frame, JBrand, Girlfriend, Paige, Rag and Bone, Fidelity, Marc Jacobs. I know that most of these brands are made in the U.S.; hence higher labor costs. Is the quality - fabric, stitching - really that much better?
Let's say you were at a clearance sale and every pair of jeans cost $5, why would you choose Rag and Bone over Buffalo?

Last edited by Marissa23; 06-13-2018 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 04:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
The number one consideration for me is fit. But some higher end jeans are a lot more durable and hold their shape better than other brands.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:44 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The number one consideration for me is fit. But some higher end jeans are a lot more durable and hold their shape better than other brands.
Same. I find considerable better and more consistent fit with many of the higher priced brands. Additionally, the denim is more durable and often doesn't stretch out much over time. Most of the time they just offer washes that are more pleasing to my eye and the higher quality materials just look better when it comes to denim as well.

GAP jeans are some of the 'best' ive found for the cheap-o category. But theyre still only decent for the price: they do stretch out a decent bit after just a few uses. Levi's used to make jeans that I liked (at their price point) but their quality has really fallen off so I stopped with them about five years ago.

My go-to jeans lately for the sub $200 category have been All Saints. I've been VERY happy with the fit, durability, wash options, style options, etc. I usually get them on sale for somewhere in the $80-$120 range. I was hesitant at first because they go for $160+ new. But I'm very picky with denim since I own a lot of it and I was seriously impressed after finally giving them a check. It's most of what I've gotten the past few years.

Last edited by Sunbather; 06-14-2018 at 01:14 PM..

Old 06-16-2018, 09:01 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissa23 View Post
Well, obviously the price. By mid-range I'm referring to jeans that generally cost between $60-120 USD regular price before tax. The following brands: Levi's, Gap(maybe excluding their less expensive sister brand Old Navy and their other more expensive sister brand Banana Republic which has a limited jeans selection), Guess, CK, Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, Buffalo, Lucky Brand, Abercrombie, Parasuco.

By designer I mean the following brands that cost at least $200 USD: True Religion, Seven For Mankind, Citizens for Humanity, Diesel, Hudson, Frame, JBrand, Girlfriend, Paige, Rag and Bone, Fidelity, Marc Jacobs. I know that most of these brands are made in the U.S.; hence higher labor costs. Is the quality - fabric, stitching - really that much better?
Let's say you were at a clearance sale and every pair of jeans cost $5, why would you choose Rag and Bone over Buffalo?

I bought some 7s for 12 bucks. I just think they fit amazing.
I found them in a second hand store which has a selection of high end jeans.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:49 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
I don't think there is much you can say between $100 jeans and $200 ones aside from the marketing of the brand. Better pairs are made in USA (or other first world counties) and use selvedge cotton instead of what the other type is (forget the term). Specific brands I don't pay as much attention to. Even Levi's makes high end pairs now but you have to go to high end retailers to find them.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:30 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Better pairs are made in USA (or other first world counties) and use selvedge cotton instead of what the other type is (forget the term).
Your comments intrigued me and I wanted to find out more about selvedge cotton and found this article What Is Selvedge cotton? which I recommend reading.

I never even knew of such a concept! Now I want to learn more.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
As a guy the difference is if you don’t skip leg day you won’t fit into any designer jean. I only fit into Levi’s myself and only 2 types, one barely. Their athletic fit is even way too tight. They’re made for guys without legs. I have a 31” waist so I’m very thin around the waist but I can’t fit into any of these designer jeans even if I had a gun to my head. The “loose fit” Levi’s fit me snug but not tight, like there’s definitely not more than a half inch of space. I love designer jeans on a girl though! Just bummed jeans shopping for me is so miserable. I didn’t start wearing jeans until I was 29, because I never fit into any pair I tried. They basically assume if you have large quads you must have an enormous waist so I would have to get a 36” waist jean to fit my legs into most of them lol

Old 07-03-2018, 12:52 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Jonathan, I may have the opposite problem, but having the opposite problem is better. Note that I workout frequently at the gym and my legs look good but are not body builder legs. They're just in good shape. I have about the same waist size as you but they just don't sell jeans of a length that are short enough to fit me without hemming the bottoms. I hardly bother with the length any more and just pick for waist size, planning on cutting a whole bunch off. Actually probably the same length and waist would suit me, or legs slightly shorter depending on how I want the "fall." (Might want different length for boots than for athletic shoes or other footwear.)

Old 07-03-2018, 06:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
As a guy the difference is if you don’t skip leg day you won’t fit into any designer jean. I only fit into Levi’s myself and only 2 types, one barely. Their athletic fit is even way too tight. They’re made for guys without legs. I have a 31” waist so I’m very thin around the waist but I can’t fit into any of these designer jeans even if I had a gun to my head. The “loose fit” Levi’s fit me snug but not tight, like there’s definitely not more than a half inch of space. I love designer jeans on a girl though! Just bummed jeans shopping for me is so miserable. I didn’t start wearing jeans until I was 29, because I never fit into any pair I tried. They basically assume if you have large quads you must have an enormous waist so I would have to get a 36” waist jean to fit my legs into most of them lol
My excoworker - who doesn't skip leg day had good luck with Japanese denim brands. Can't remember the name, but he got several pairs and loved them. They looked great - not too tight on the quads or too loose. Maybe check out the crossfit message boards for tips. I also saw a Kickstarter for that body type too.

Women are a bit luckier in this scenario - there are stretchier jeans for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty