Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 01:05 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

I LOVE big hair! I've always had it.

I don't think we will see the frizzed-out looks of the 80s again, because there are so many better ways to style now and so many products that are better for your hair. I will never sit for another perm again. There's no need to.

Bring it on!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I also hate the stick straight hair I see on just about every actress out there.
Agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 01:35 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times
I liked big hair styles but hope that these days people consider their natural hair flow, so to say. E.g. people with gorgeous curly hair should not feel compelled to straighten them and those with natural flat and straight hair should not be nudged into perms or other hair damaging techiques of the 80s.

There should never be one mainstream style and I’m grateful we have many choices and everyone can be glamorous and fashionable in their own way.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:47 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
As a guy, when big hair was the thing..I liked straight hair. I remember there were some exchange students from Europe in my high school and thinking how great they looked compared to the locals because they didn't have these ridiculous hairdos. My high school yearbook is absurd except for these girls and a few of the alternative music types who didn't follow the trend.

Straight hair is the thing since grunge...I still like it better and always will.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I have to say that I am also sick of the droopy, clumpy long hair look. But big hair? I suppose it will come around again in some fashion.

So glad I am old enough to ignore stupid style trends.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:38 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I also hate the stick straight hair I see on just about every actress out there. I don't think it is flattering to very many people especially when you get older. I have always had pin straight hair and wanted curly hair (doesn't everybody want the opposite of what they have?).
Agree and that's because women with straight hair think how much better and easy curly hair will be to manage and style. And people with curly hair think how think how much better and easy it would be to manage and style straight hair. See how that works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I have big hair all the time unless I pay someone to spend an hour or more straightening it with a blow-dryer.

I decided years ago to accept my thick wavy/curly hair for what it is and spend a lot less time in the bathroom.
Same here except I don't pay someone to straighten it with a blow dryer but use a product that really does "tame" it to some degree and it's just wavyish if I blow dry it. If not, well...it's very wavyish.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rusk-Str8-Anti-frizz-and-Anti-curl-Lotion-6-fl-oz/13430577

In the winter it will suffice but in the summer, if it gets humid out (and mostly it does), all bets are off regardless of what I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not the OP, but I was in DC ... we definitely had big hair.
Absolutely, also in Chicago and the Midwest in general and I think I can say most of the south as well, very much so.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:12 PM

19 posts, read 17,695 times
As a lazy person with very thick hair and a ton of it, I sure hope so lol. Those were the days- got a perm and I was practically wash and go except for the whole styling the bangs thing. It looked ridiculous but In retrospect it was quick. Now a days if I spend only 10 min on my hair I look like a homeless person with a frizzy mop on my head!My hair is coarse, not straight, not curly and definitely not wash and go. Bring back the perm and a banana clip or two and I could save time and be awkwardly fashionable again lol

Last edited by lnewbie76; 06-15-2018 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Darn phone Autocorrect !

Old 06-15-2018, 03:49 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
Many of the young ladies in my office are wearing big, crazy hair. It looks really neat.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I didn't see "big hair" in my environment, in the 80's/90's. Not among young women, anyway. But at the university (Seattle), nobody, not the women faculty, either, had "big hair". Maybe it was mainly a Hollywood & suburban thing? I didn't see in in the SF Bay Area, where I'm from, either. Maybe it was a Mid-Western thing? It was not present in my world, not among moms or their daughters.

Where were you living back then, OP?
I saw it in the Bay as a kid. Some of my neighbors had big hair. It was definitely still a thing in the 90s when I moved to the south and most of my high school years.

Are you telling me you never saw Saved By the Bell Kelly Kapowski hair? It was super popular.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:06 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
The Texas gals moto, “Higher the hair, closer to God.”

Old 06-15-2018, 05:09 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I saw it in the Bay as a kid. Some of my neighbors had big hair. It was definitely still a thing in the 90s when I moved to the south and most of my high school years.

Are you telling me you never saw Saved By the Bell Kelly Kapowski hair? It was super popular.
That's "big hair"? I thought people were talking about pouty shoulder-length styles, or short, poufy perms. The photos that have been posted in the past of the 80's styles didn't look like the one you posted. But I didn't see that in the East Bay among my peers, or at the university, or among moms, no. Nor in Seattle. What came back in, in Seattle in the early 90's was a style from the 60's; like Mary of Peter, Paul and Mary wore. Blunt--cut bangs in front, straight, flat shoulder-length hair. The opposite of big hair. This (below) was hugely popular, for some reason.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty