Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 09:58 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Do you think we'll ever see women sport the kind of hair you'd see in the 80s-early 90s? I sure hope not!
Sure, as soon as Kim Kardasian gets a poodle perm -BAM- it will be everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 10:45 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Well I have to admit that I was one of those "Big Hair" girls in the late 70's and 80's in southern California. Everyone wanted that Farrah Fawcett look.

While I have tried short, long, straight etc over the years, I still prefer long and "full" and now in my fifties still have long and fairly "full" hair as you can see in my profile. But I won't go any "bigger" than this :-)

Old 06-16-2018, 12:58 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I was 12 years old in 1989. My peers and I were LIVING those "awkward photos." You linked a photo of a beautiful adult woman with a stylist.
Yup, if you look at my middle school yearbook a lot of people had that hair. I had giant bangs around age 12 or so. We called them “the mouth.” That was a super common look.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:34 AM

486 posts, read 992,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I also don't get the straight hair fetish, lol.
I know, it seems like the straight center part long hair fetish will never go away. I was flipping through the channels last month and stopped on FOX where the Miss USA pageant was airing. Me and my sister commented on how EVERY contestant had long hair parted down the middle, some hair was straight, some had the obligatory flips at the end (tousled hair look). I swear it made the women look years older (that and the botox, veneers, nose jobs, face lifts, fake tans etc.). I said wouldn't it be nice if one contestant came out with a 'fro, short curly hair, or a pixie, blunt cut (ala Debbie Harry late 70's early 80's). I would surely notice THAT contestant if I was a judge.

Quote:
It looks okay on some people but I would never do it. I had a friend try it on me once because she was practicing for her cosmetology final. I hated the way it looked; if anything it ADDED years to me. I am quite happy with my curls and waves
I had my hair straightened once with a straightening rod, I didn't like it. My hair really isn't that curly, but I have some body to it, and now that I have salt and pepper grey hair (more pepper than salt) I wish I had a little more wave, which is why I was thinking of getting a perm.

Quote:
You can get a looser perm with larger rollers and less developing time but I would go to a professional. If you do get a perm, keep it conditioned to avoid the frizz. Something that's really helpful for dry curly/wavy hair is leave-in conditioner and sculpting cream. Also, unless you have very oily hair you likely don't need to wash it everyday--it's very drying and will make curly/wavy hair frizz out even more. Dry shampoo can be your friend if your hair is curly/wavy and dry.
Thanks for the advice. I know of a good hairstylist that said she could give me a perm, but I had a perm back in the early 80's and for some reason it really didn't take on my hair. I was told my hair was too thick. I hesitate spending a lot of money on a perm if it ends up not being curly. My mom used to perm her hair back in the 70's and 80's. She had the big loose curls. That was back in the day when you could buy home perm kits from Kmart, etc. Those days are long gone.

If I saw someone with big hair these days (90's poodle hair that was favored by Hair Bands and their groupies) it might be kind of nice, seeing as you never see that hairstyle anymore. Just the same old Kardashian stick straight "hide my jowls and plastic surgery scars" blah hair style. [Yawn]

Old 06-16-2018, 07:47 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
What is big hair?

Old 06-16-2018, 08:10 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am so sick of the current hairstyles on celebrities. It’s the droopy, shoulder length hair with twisty clumps at the bottom.
I agree. Those styles look as though they were styled by a beauty school drop out, and/or the hair dryer broke and curlers were removed from the hair while still wet.

The cuts are also ludicrous because they are very choppy and uneven.

Therefore, one does not have to be a so-called master hair stylist to create those hairdos.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:00 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Default I like THIS kind of big hair.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:51 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
How about late 50's early 60's hair you know Bee hive and bouffant flip styles?

Old 06-16-2018, 06:19 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Do you think we'll ever see women sport the kind of hair you'd see in the 80s-early 90s? I sure hope not!
Not in that way.

What I think is that now, and in the future, people will not capitulate to the caprices of fashion, but will wear styles that look best on them and work best with their hair type.

I have very straight, silky hair. In the 1980s, I went to great measure to make my hair "big" fluffy and curly. In so doing, I damaged it deeply and my hair broke. I ended up with a pixie cut.

There should be hair styles for women with all textures and volumes of hair. I think we are going in that direction.

I will never again follow any mandates to make my hair "big" or curly. It's sleek, shiny, and straight with great movement.

I will never try to change it into something it is not, again.

Whatever hair type you have, I hope you chose to do the same.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:44 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
The only big hair I have seen on TV is that Long Island Medium and she has big nails too. I am a native LI'er and I do recall hair like that back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty