Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2018, 09:53 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Humm, tell that to the airlines. I remember looking at the Singapore Airlines website and was struck by how pretty their flight attendants are. All the ladies were wearing makeup of course.

If you can get away with not wearing it on your job and look better for it, more power to you. Nope, I wasn’t even thinking about you when I made the connection between liberal politics and no makeup.
I don’t think dress code rules for Flight Attendants strengthens your argument in any way, nor does pointing out how pretty they look at work.

I’m paid for my ideas, work ethic, education, and intelligence. I also happen to think I’m pretty without a bunch of cosmetics. Maybe I’d wear more makeup daily if I didn’t feel that way, perhaps I’m lucky, but I strongly object to this correlation being drawn between prettiness and professionalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 09:58 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Airlines used to compete on the basis of whose "stewardesses" had the shortest skirts and sexiest outfits, too. Mercifully, times have changed for the better. The important thing is professional service.
Lol, didn’t think about that aspect, touché.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I don’t think dress code rules for Flight Attendants strengthens your argument in any way, nor does pointing out how pretty they look at work.

I’m paid for my ideas, work ethic, education, and intelligence. I also happen to think I’m pretty without a bunch of cosmetics. Maybe I’d wear more makeup daily if I didn’t feel that way, perhaps I’m lucky, but I strongly object to this correlation being drawn between prettiness and professionalism.
A woman who cares for her appearance usually has that pride spill over into her job. The lady I mentioned earlier looked awful and guess what, she is lousy at her job.

I never mentioned your ideas, work ethic, education, or intelligence. It seems as though you want to carry the banner for makeup free women everywhere, so be it, I personally couldn’t care less if women wear makeup or not, but happen to think it puts a polish on a corporate or meet the public outfit. I could have had a lucrative career as a model, but am happy enough in sales. How you look has nothing to do with your intelligence, but I’ll carry the banner for pretty ladies who like to wear makeup.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:21 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
I think many in this topic have been way too judgemental and some comments almost sound like the fashion police. I think women should just wear what they want and decide for themselves if their attire and makeup are appropriate. They should be free to project any image they want, or no image.

As far as makeup I'm a man and I know little to nothing about it, but I like to think that a smart woman applies just enough makeup to get the effect, but not so much that a dumb man like me notices it. Under a certain level I don't know if a woman is using makeup or not, her complexion is either naturally good looking or she is expert enough to realize what is too much makeup and stops short of that.

Caked on makeup looks pathetic to me. My current flame wears nothing but lip gloss. She looks great!

I think people who act like they are the fashion police have way too much time on their hands.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:30 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
I think it is alluring...

Old 07-15-2018, 10:53 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I love it! You're out in public. Not the comfort of your home where you don't even look nice for your loved ones.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:03 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
A woman who cares for her appearance usually has that pride spill over into her job. The lady I mentioned earlier looked awful and guess what, she is lousy at her job.

I never mentioned your ideas, work ethic, education, or intelligence. It seems as though you want to carry the banner for makeup free women everywhere, so be it, I personally couldn’t care less if women wear makeup or not, but happen to think it puts a polish on a corporate or meet the public outfit. I could have had a lucrative career as a model, but am happy enough in sales. How you look has nothing to do with your intelligence, but I’ll carry the banner for pretty ladies who like to wear makeup.
I think all women should wear makeup or not to work as they choose.

You are the one “carrying a banner” and saying what other women should do and wear to be appropriate. You obviously do care about women who don’t wear makeup to work, as you have insulted their looks, professionalism, and work quality, using one supposedly unkempt and unprofessional women from your past as your example.

I’ve made my points, have a nice day.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think many in this topic have been way too judgemental and some comments almost sound like the fashion police. I think women should just wear what they want and decide for themselves if their attire and makeup are appropriate. They should be free to project any image they want, or no image.

As far as makeup I'm a man and I know little to nothing about it, but I like to think that a smart woman applies just enough makeup to get the effect, but not so much that a dumb man like me notices it. Under a certain level I don't know if a woman is using makeup or not, her complexion is either naturally good looking or she is expert enough to realize what is too much makeup and stops short of that.

Caked on makeup looks pathetic to me. My current flame wears nothing but lip gloss. She looks great!

I think people who act like they are the fashion police have way too much time on their hands.
I couldn’t agree more! No woman looks good with the stuff piled on, but the cosmetics industry isn’t going anywhere anytime soon and the fashion police should take a deep breath and chill over it. You are spot on that women should project any image they wish.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I think all women should wear makeup or not to work as they choose.

You are the one “carrying a banner” and saying what other women should do and wear to be appropriate. You obviously do care about women who don’t wear makeup to work, as you have insulted their looks, professionalism, and work quality, using one supposedly unkempt and unprofessional women from your past as your example.

I’ve made my points, have a nice day.
What a clueless post. There have actually been quite a few women I’ve run across whose personal grooming or lack of, went together with job performance. The most recent example being a professional who was very bad at her job. As I’ve stated, women should be free to dress and wear makeup or not as they choose, but I’m not impressed with someone who looks shabby and expects to be taken seriously.

Yes, I intend to have a wonderful day, thank you.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I love it! You're out in public. Not the comfort of your home where you don't even look nice for your loved ones.
Agreed, wearing old shorts, tennis shoes and smudge of dirt on the cheek, doesn’t work out in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty