Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:24 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times

Advertisements

I see women who are overdressed for where they are, and that does seem sad and out of touch. I'm talking about a cocktail dress at 9 am at the mall, with elaborate evening makeup and sparkly jewelry.

What does that woman wear to parties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 08:44 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I don’t leave my house, including going to the mailbox, without looking presentable. Tinted moisturizer, lipstick, and fully dressed.

We had a neighbor once, who looked so bad that it made me resolve to never let myself go. She looked like she never wore a bra and never washed her hair, and never wore anything besides tank tops and baggy shorts.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I see women who are overdressed for where they are, and that does seem sad and out of touch. I'm talking about a cocktail dress at 9 am at the mall, with elaborate evening makeup and sparkly jewelry.

What does that woman wear to parties?
I knew a woman like that when I was doing stuff at my kid's school. The other moms would show up in capris and a summer tops to help out (all of them, literally) and she was always dolled up. She would wear cocktail dresses and stripper heels to even a planning meeting at someone's house. Full face of make up, looked professionally applied, and her hair absolutely perfect.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don’t leave my house, including going to the mailbox, without looking presentable. Tinted moisturizer, lipstick, and fully dressed.

We had a neighbor once, who looked so bad that it made me resolve to never let myself go. She looked like she never wore a bra and never washed her hair, and never wore anything besides tank tops and baggy shorts.
I'm interested, because I have a neighbor like that. She has a little bichon, and when she walks the dog in the morning she looks as put together as if she were going to work at the jewelry counter of the mall. I don't think she owns casual clothing.

Do you have casual clothing? Athletic shoes, shorts, fitted t-shirt?

I have another friend who doesn't own any athletic shoes, or shoes suitable for a kayak outing. She had to go out and buy some when we decided to kayak one day.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:06 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
Women like "A Sharp Dressed Man".

But A "Sharp Dressed Man" likes a woman naked.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:18 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
Like the kind of women that wouldn't go out to get her mail without making sure she's all dressed up? Do you find it sad?
I'm not sure what your issue is with this. What, exactly, does "all dressed up" mean, in the context of going out to get the mail? Do you mean--she changed from her pajamas, and put on regular daytime clothes? Or do you mean she put on formal attire, as if she were going out for an evening event? It's normal for people to dress for the day, you know.

Where are you from, Zhengha? You've been creating threads to ask some odd questions, since you joined...

Old 07-14-2018, 09:34 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
I am not any fan of formal wear and you know that me living in Southern California has something to do with it, we are more casual than most of the country and most of us wear casual clothing all the time. Only very formal affairs like weddings and funerals require more, and I've been to some where everybody dressed casual.

Now as far as the woman dressing formal to go to the mall, just exactly what is the OP's complaint? Does it somehow hurt your eyes to look at her? My philosophy is to live and let live. Actually I love watching people at the mall and she would just add to my show! Just the other day I was waiting for a date at a restaurant that faced on the mall, and I absolutely loved seeing all the happy people passing by, most of them quite casual, and it put a smile on my face seeing so many happy young people (and a few seniors) enjoying their shopping.

I still don't understand the OP and his/her issues with the way somebody else dresses. Dress the way you like and please quit being so critical and sensitive to the way other people dress, unless they don't meet dressing requirements for the venue.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:07 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,703 times
Quote:
Like the kind of women that wouldn't go out to get her mail without making sure she's all dressed up? Do you find it sad?
It’s admirable if not practical for everyone. Not every woman has time to groom herself with hair styling, makeup and accessories, that all takes time. When I worked in an office, I had a fast routine, and omitted some things like eye shadow, and used a spray to help wet hair dry sleek instead of the hair dryer.

I never go out in public without light makeup, showering, brushing hair, clean clothes. What’s sad is the women I see in public who don’t wear any makeup and don’t take much pride in how they look. It’s doubly unpleasant to get a whiff of someone who forgot to shower.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:18 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Quote:
No, I enjoy seeing a woman who thinks enough of herself to spend some time to dress nicely and do her makeup, etc. It shows class and a good self image. My ex wife was someone who always spent a lot of time with her makeup and choosing the right clothes, and while it bothered me because I had to wait for her to get done, I really liked the fact that she looked great at all times.

I think women who throw on anything at all to go out are the ones I have more concerns about.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:34 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Anybody who wants to put the time and effort into their appearance is fine by me, if that's what makes them happy.

I once shared a room on a work trip with a colleague. I can be showered, dressed, made up, and ready to walk out the door in 45 minutes. She needed two hours minimum for a look that wasn't even that complicated. I rolled my eyes, but if that's how you want to live your life, godspeed.

I'm also reminded of that scene from Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, where she set her alarm for 30 minutes before her husband woke up so that he never saw her with curlers in her hair or with morning breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty