Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 06:24 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,101,418 times

Advertisements

I think that - as with most women's high heels these days - they're not designed for ease or comfort. Just like four-inches stilettos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 06:47 PM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I thought kitten heels by definition were always low-to very low heels -- like an inch (maybe 1-1/2"). Like the style (very low heel pump) Michelle Obama wore so often.

Yes, they are always very low but it is the very slender shape (never clunky or block shaped) and the exact placement of the heel where it is attached to the shank of the shoe directly beneath the center of the heel on your foot that makes them distinctively kitten heels that are easy to pivot on. It's not possible to pivot as easily on any other kind of shape or placement of shoe heel which is why the kitten heels were so popular and comfortable for dancing in.

These are true kitten heels

These are low and some people call them kitten heels but they are not true kitten heels because their shape is different and their placement under the heel of the foot is not the same as a kitten heel would be.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:28 PM

10,576 posts, read 11,986,908 times
Quote:
They are super cute! They look good with so many summer outfits. I CAN walk in them. But I'd only wear them if walking or dancing were not part of my agenda.
Sounds like they'd be "look good only, not really for walking or actually DOING anything in" shoes.

For the most part, I gave up heels more than 30 years ago, and I've never looked back. I see women in 3-1/2" and higher heels that they where for their work shoes. And I think, "better them than me." Even for job interviews and special events I'm thinking of going down to a 1-1/2 inch pump. I'm not ready to go all way way low to ballet flat....yet. But let me get a little bit older and I might! My daily shoes are slides and low mules (think Clarks/Easy Spirit/Aerosoles comfort clogs).

As an aside, I've worn them for so long...I HATE having my foot enclosed in a shoe. I don't liked being laced or zipped in any kind of shoe (or sneaker). And forget about boots. Love the look but couldn't stand having my foot all closed in. If I can't slide my foot in and out, I don't wear it. I haven't even worn a loafer in about 20 years

Old 07-28-2018, 07:30 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,001,030 times
I can run un those babes down the sidewalk in West Hollywood . I am 5'6" but for some reason when I put on anything taller than kitten I magically appear 7 ft tall and do not like it . I have a few round open toed Nina Ricci's that I LOVE but kitten heels mainly and sandals .

Old 07-28-2018, 07:38 PM

10,576 posts, read 11,986,908 times
Of the photos...to me...on the the first pair (green) and the second red pair are kitten heels.

The yellow pair and the black pumps, definitely not (what I mean when I say kitten heels)

Old 07-28-2018, 09:37 PM

3,030 posts, read 1,933,751 times
Selhars... You're not alone. I can't walk in kitten heels... they're wobbly & tile floors make me feel like I'm off balance & going to slip & fall. I walk in low heeled shoes the way girls do in high heels, when they're not used to them. And, I can't walk in mules, either... they just don't stay on my feet... I feel like I have to grip them hard with my toes & that feels awful.

Strangely, the most comfy heels are spike heels, 2-1/2 to 3-3/4" only. If they're shorter, even by 1/2", my center of gravity is off... if they're higher, I feel like I'm walking on stilts. That means I also can't wear loafers or boots with a 1/2-1" heel... they make me feel off balance. Any shoes have to be super flat or the higher heels above. And, I don't know why but I don't find chunky heels comfy, maybe because a lot of those shoes are heavier... they hurt my low back... they have to be stiletto.

I don't get it, but I just go with it... I'm old enough that I've owned 100 prs of shoes/boots/sneakers, so know what I can wear. It's not a big deal, since I really don't like the way kitten heels look. I think they're great on women who are very tall & want to dress up but don't want to add much to their height or younger girls who want their 1st pair of grown-up shoes. They look nice on those who can walk in them... I'm not one of them.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:47 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,223,174 times
Quote:
Of the photos...to me...on the the first pair (green) and the second red pair are kitten heels.

The yellow pair and the black pumps, definitely not (what I mean when I say kitten heels)
Agree with this.

I also have difficulty walking in kitten heals. A 2-3 inch pump is no problem. It the placement of the actual heel that throws me off with kitten heals.

I wanted a second, lower pair of shoes for my daughter's wedding last year. I tried a few kitten heels. No go!

Old 07-28-2018, 09:52 PM

16,339 posts, read 12,291,362 times
Quote:

I agree with this assessment. The first pair of red heels are just a tad higher than kittens (maybe a half inch). Yellow and black definitely aren't.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:11 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,993,985 times
Girl, I can run a 5K in a kitten heel!

Old 07-29-2018, 12:27 AM

255 posts, read 181,643 times
Hmm no I had no problem with them, back when I wore heels. I haven't worn heels in years. I don't know why but over the last few years, since I became a mom, I found heels to be so uncomfortable. Maybe because I don't wear them as much.
Anyway, nope i never had an issue with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty