Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:32 PM

255 posts, read 183,973 times

Advertisements

Wow you people spend so much money on clothes! 750,1,000$???! What?!!? Geez...try shopping at cheaper stores or goodwill. I mean it's your money but like the other poster said, learn about thrift stores for real!

As for me, I spent about $60 the last time and that was at motherhood maternity (I'm pregnant). But normally I RARELY buy anything. I never need to. I have no problem reusing clothes as i haven't changed in weight. I rarely even buy makeup. I have too much already. My last big makeup purchase was last summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 10:33 PM

255 posts, read 183,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That’s not high at all. Considering jeans cost $50. A shirt is $30. Good shoes are at least $80 ....
Not if you buy the shoes at marshalls! $80?? No way

Old 07-30-2018, 10:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily003 View Post
Not if you buy the shoes at marshalls! $80?? No way
Marshall’s doesn’t have the brands I want often. I want shoes with leather uppers and insoles. Those sent too common.

I prefer DSW for discount shoes.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:23 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
In theory, it could work, if you are an easy size to fit. I, however, have settled on a few brands which I know fit me well, and the styles fit my lifestyle. Most of my clothing comes from JJill, and I tend to buy during sales. If I use my charge I get 5% off, so I do that. I spend about $50 a month there.

I detest browsing through a bunch of racks in hopes of finding something, so thrift stores are not my cup of tea.
I like brands like JJill too...but I detest spending $30 for a cotton tshirt or $50 for a dressier (but still polyester!) blouse or $80 for a sweater that is at best 50% merino wool. I'd rather spend $10 at a thrift store and get silk and cashmere Banana Republic, etc.

Last edited by reneeh63; 07-31-2018 at 06:28 AM..

Old 07-31-2018, 05:36 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
I wouldn't ever buy used clothing, mainly because I spend so little on clothes anyway, what would be the point? I doubt I spend more than $300 per year and that includes overpriced but special T-shirts like sports teams, Star Wars, things like that. I only find a few jeans will fit me, mainly the loosest fit Levi's, because they are all made for the average overweight American. None of them are made for muscular quads, small waists, so I was about 28 before I found a single pair of jeans that actually fit me. I just gave up on them when I was younger, it was pointless. Finally found the Levis that I like and they're not very expensive, but in most entire brands I literally don't fit into a single one of their "fits." Whatever they consider "loose" is incredibly tight on me. I hear they're made for 19-21" quads, which is chicken legs, at 34" waists. I have a 31" waist with 24" quads, so there's zero chance of most brands fitting.

I buy my shoes at the outlet mall usually and it's tough to find one good pair, so when I do, I'll try to buy 2-3 of the same exact style. I like black shoes with all black accents, no white anywhere to be found, too dorky. My T-shirts last years, I have some T-shirts I wore for more than a decade but most of those originals are now too worn and they've been replaced. I probably spent the most money just two years ago, because I replaced so many of my T-shirts that were quite old, and I'd say half of my T-shirts are now fairly new. That's typical for me, I'll spend $600-800 in one year then $0 for the next few years.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:20 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
Budget experts like Dave Ramsey say between 2% and 7% of your salary. Obviously, a lawyer will need better clothes than a waitress, so this makes sense.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:40 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
You are correct CGab, I definitely was too conservative in that estimate, so I revised it to probably double that range.

2 pair shoes - $200
2 pair pants - $100
2 polo or button down shirts - $75-100

Already at $500.

So yeah, it's much more.

That makes a little more sense! I think you could probably get 4 nice shirts for $100 and I think you would probably need at least 4 pairs of pants. If you only buy two then you're washing them more and therefore they will wear out quicker! Plus, don't forget underwear and socks, which IMHO are expensive!

I just went school/fall clothes shopping for my two girls ages 12 & 10 and I already spent $300 and that was just for I pair of shoes each and a few tops and pants. They will need sweaters, socks, underwear, shoes, and probably a few more tops and pants before we're done. Since they are still growing we have to continuously buy more.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:50 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,904 times
I can imagine quite a few posters look outdated or seems that they lack money. I thought I was cheap but there are always those that surpass me!

Old 07-31-2018, 08:53 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I can imagine quite a few posters look outdated or seems that they lack money. I thought I was cheap but there are always those that surpass me!

I doubt they lack money they just have more common sense .

Old 07-31-2018, 09:21 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
I thrift shop, and wear scrubs at work. I live in a four season climate, so I do need two separate wardrobes. I spend less than $200 a year. The thrift stores here are excellent, so even though I'm not the easiest size, I find what I need.

Two years ago I took a one year contract at an office job. I needed a whole work wardrobe. I spent about $300 for enough to do me, including a few pairs of hardly worn name brand leather shoes and boots.

In the year since that ended, I've probably spent less than $100. I realize I am not typical. My husband thanks me. lol Over the last 25+ years I have saved our family many thousands of dollars. And the investment of time that I spend is less than a lot of people I know who mall or online shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty