Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of shoes should a man wear with shorts for weekend casual?
Canvas Shoes 42 82.35%
Slide Sandals 6 11.76%
Flip Flop Sandals 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 10:46 AM

734 posts, read 843,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Personally I think black shoes with khaki shorts is a very tricky look to pull off. Something low profile like all black chucks or a very low profile running shoe can look OK with them but wouldn't be a go-to look for me personally. A chunkier black sneaker or full ankle coverage black sneaker with khaki shorts starts making you look like you're a kid running cars at a valet at the beach or like a skateboarder or something (no hate here either, i still skateboard some at 33, just pointing out what it may look like).
Mine are kinda in the middle. Bulkier than Chucks but not as bulky as a typical running shoe. Thought I'd get something a bit lighter (in weight and color).

Quote:
PS the reason the mods removed is that you are not allowed to hotlink images from other sites on this forum. You can however post an actual link to the page a pair of shoes is on, but you can't embed/hotlink the image itself.
Ah ok. It was okay before, maybe city data was threatened with legal action or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 10:48 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Mine are kinda in the middle. Bulkier than Chucks but not as bulky as a typical running shoe. Thought I'd get something a bit lighter (in weight and color).

Ah ok. It was okay before, maybe city data was threatened with legal action or something.
Yeah, something less bulky and lighter tends to look better with shorts imo. You can't go wrong with grey or white for sure. Very versatile.

In regard to the images, that's just always been their blanket policy as long as I've posted here. It's easier for them to just say no hotlinking period than to police which images are allowed to be hotlinked versus which aren't etc. In general, they allow you to post picture you own the copyright to. Otherwise, link directly to the page hosting the original image. Hope that helps!

Old 08-06-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Yeah, something less bulky and lighter tends to look better with shorts imo. You can't go wrong with grey or white for sure. Very versatile.

In regard to the images, that's just always been their blanket policy as long as I've posted here. It's easier for them to just say no hotlinking period than to police which images are allowed to be hotlinked versus which aren't etc. In general, they allow you to post picture you own the copyright to. Otherwise, link directly to the page hosting the original image. Hope that helps!
That makes sense.

Would gray match khaki? I figured gray and khaki were on the opposite ends of the spectrum as well. White gets dirty too easy! The canvas shoes I posted are tan/khaki color.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:54 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
The answer... whatever he wants. He's a man. He doesn't have to follow societal expectations. I love crocs because they have much better arch support than a lot of the "better looking" alternatives.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Usually, when going out to dinner or somewhere formal i'll do an athletic type shoe with socks.

For casual situations, like hanging out in my backyard, I usually do a flip-flop type sandal that's a bit more formal than the ones you'd wear at a beach. Mine are actually memory foam bottom with some nice canvas straps. If I actually wore them to a beach they'd probablt get ruined. I wouldn't wear them out to dinner with the wife, but fair game if i'm running to the store to pick up a few things.

Can't stand slide sandals....especially with socks.
That was my next question. Where exactly are flip flops appropriate? Read an article that stated men should never wear flip flops unless going to the beach or pool. Grocery store runs seem appropriate. Social events not so much unless it's near water. If I wore flip flops to the store and ran into someone I know, I would probably be embarrassed, heh.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
That makes sense.

Would gray match khaki? I figured gray and khaki were on the opposite ends of the spectrum as well. White gets dirty too easy! The canvas shoes I posted are tan/khaki color.
I don't wear a lot of khaki but I tend to prefer white sneakers with khaki, but grey sneakers can go with khaki just fine. Depends on the shades of each though. Both of those colors have a wide umbrella of tone variations (grey especially with lots of warm/cool tone variation). White doesnt have to be stark-white - sometimes 'white' shoes are a bit more of a 'natural white'. Even if it's stark, if it's canvas I just use a little scotchguard when i first get them or the occasional magic eraser. I assume if it is a sandal vs sneaker with shorts scenario someone is not looking to get dirty anyway. (ie it's a very casual scenario).

Old 08-06-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I don't wear a lot of khaki but I tend to prefer white sneakers with khaki, but grey sneakers can go with khaki just fine. Depends on the shades of each though. Both of those colors have a wide umbrella of tone variations (grey especially with lots of warm/cool tone variation). White doesnt have to be stark-white - sometimes 'white' shoes are a bit more of a 'natural white'. Even if it's stark, if it's canvas I just use a little scotchguard when i first get them or the occasional magic eraser. I assume if it is a sandal vs sneaker with shorts scenario someone is not looking to get dirty anyway. (ie it's a very casual scenario).
I'm thinking a lighter shade of gray. Haven't completely ruled out white though. Thanks for the ideas.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:12 AM

No problem! You can also do searches on google or other aggregate sites like this quick search I did for 'mens khakis with sneakers' on Pinterest to get an idea of what you think looks good to you. Just seeing what other people do might help you determine what you think looks good and what doesn't.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:27 AM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
You’ll never catch me with Canvas shoes:

Boat shoes
Thong sandals (not the slide ones)
Casual sneakers (mike air max 90)

Old 08-06-2018, 12:38 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
That's correct, CD is operated on a minimum labor basis (because the mods are unpaid and CD management wants their jobs to be as painless as possible) and enforcing things like avatars, signatures, and in this case hotlinked photos causes unnecessary work.

I'm pretty sure you could post a hotlinked picture if you are using an image host that doesn't mind and add a note, either you own the copyright or the picture has a GPL license, like Wikipedia commons. Just post the notice so a moderator knows it's being used by permission.

If I'm correct that images are okay as long as it's made clear they are being used by permission, you could use a public free image host such as imagebam.com to host the image. No account required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty