Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:20 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times

Advertisements

I never see anyone wearing rain boots here in eastern NC.

I'm kinda funny over my shoes, so if I know it's going to be rainy and nasty out, I usually wear an older pair of shoes.

I actually kinda keep my shoes in three stages...stage 1) nice, I really only try to wear them if I'm pretty sure I'm NOT going to get them dirty; stage 2) Still look pretty nice, but they're starting to look a little worn or I have a replacement pair that's in better shape, so I'll wear them in public when it's kinda nasty out or if I might end up doing something that'll get me a little dirty; stage 3) Not really fit to be worn in public, but I'll wear them if it's raining like there's a hurricane coming. Mostly, wear them for yard stuff, horse stuff, etc.

People do wear muck boots to work in horse barns, hog farms, etc. around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 05:35 PM

31 posts, read 31,932 times
I have several pairs of rain boots, so do my daughters

Old 08-25-2018, 08:45 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
There are rain boots here in New England, and women wear all varieties: ankle, short, knee, or duck boots (LLBean, or Sperry usually) in cooler weather. Men however might wear duck books as opposed to typical rain boots. In more remote areas, Farmers or guys working outdoors might wear Muck, Dunlop or Bogs. While I don't mind one way or the other it seems most Americans have a view of rain boots (like Speedos), as being "effeminate". This is not the case in Europe, where men wear them especially for farming and hunting and working in the countryside.

I have quite a few: short, knee, and duck boot varieties; though with changing weather, here it's to be expected.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:06 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
]Men however might wear duck books as opposed to typical rain boots. In more remote areas, Farmers or guys working outdoors might wear Muck, Dunlop or Bogs. While I don't mind one way or the other it seems most Americans have a view of rain boots (like Speedos), as being "effeminate". This is not the case in Europe, where men wear them especially for farming and hunting and working in the countryside.
Kind of funny, isn't it? Construction workers wear knee-high rain boots, but when the average joe wears the same boots, people think it's girly, just because no other kind of mens' shoes rise so high up the calf.

How did knee-high boots come to be a female dress item, anyways? You see all these paintings of Napoleon Civil War soldiers, and even colonial-era men in Plymouth Rock/Jamestown and they all wear knee-high boots.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I go to college near Sacramento, where it only rains cold rain (rains only in the winter), and rain boots are very popular here. Is it just a regional trend? Funny thing is, it seems like only the girls are wearing rain boots. Very few straight guys wear rain boots, although I am one of them. I bought a dark green, 15 inch high pair. I found them to be very comfy and it seems strange that more guys don't wear rainboots; is it because knee-high boots look too girly? After all, my pair are guy's rain boots--the kind construction workers and fishermen wear. Are fishermen's boots too girly for guys? Maybe guys have fat calves that look bad in knee boots?

Do people wear rain boots where you live? If so, is it just the ladies who wear them?
The are a staple here in the NE. Guys generally wear bean boots or deck boots if they are sailors. Deck boots are typically shorter, maybe 12" at most.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
I live in the arid west, and rain boots are not common at all. It simply does not rain long enough here to make them necessary, although most people do keep an umbrella handy for the summer monsoon.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
What are you calling "rain boots?" Rubber boots? They don't let your feet breathe and are a sure ticket to foot fungus and disease.
That's an exaggeration. I have a pair of L.L. Bean Duck boots and I have no such issues for the short periods that I need them. You try to stand on wet grass in the pouring rain in your dress shoes for 3 hours and see how it feels.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:26 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Seldom worn here unless you work in a farm or have yard work to do. Nothing fashionable or girly about it.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:26 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Kind of funny, too, that women can wear leather boots in more formal settings but rubber boots, worn by either men or women, are considered informal, on the level of flip-flops.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:57 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
I haven't seen anyone over the age of eight years old or so wearing rain boots here in the Denver area ever since we moved here in 1986.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty