Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

Think of the picture that will be taken after the ceremony of the two of you. It's going to be a cherished picture. So think about how you will want to look for that Kodak moment. And your son will be introducing you to his friends and possibly professors. Plus afterwards, the two of you will want to go out to eat at a nice place.

I hardly ever wear a dress or a formal outfit, but I always have some nice clothes for those twice a year special occasions. I hunt on eBay for used clothing. Last month, I bought a gorgeous simple linen dress in a neutral tan with a matching jacket. It's by Emmanuel and it only cost $40. It's something to wear in warm weather or when we go down to Florida and his mom takes us out to brunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 04:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Don't forget Chico's! If you haven't tried their stuff - you may find you fall in love - very versatile, comfortable and fun clothing!

Old 04-03-2008, 05:41 PM

286 posts, read 1,321,892 times
Tootsie, think of it this way....you'll be looking at the pictures from graduation day for a long time! Wear whatever you feel most comfortable with and will continue to enjoy looking at in the years to come! Seriously, I think nice pants are a great option, especially made out of a crepe type material. You'll be doing a lot of sitting, so you want to avoid fabrics that wrinkle too much. Congrats on this happy occasion!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:43 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
You'll get to wear the outfit again. Someone you know is bound to die and you don't want to have to dash out and buy something for the funeral.

I have a light weight navy blue blazer that I wear only at funerals now. it's a little snug for anything else. I have had it for years. It also went to graduations and an occasional wedding. Depending on the time of year, light or dark colored pants or skirt. A skirt, long or short, with flowers works well too. I saw one exactly like it in good shape at a thirft store recently. Four bucks!! I darned near got it, except I would then have TWO that I didn't wear but a couple of times a year.

If it's an outdoor graduation, you could get real hot. Think about something sleeveless.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:25 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
You'll get to wear the outfit again. Someone you know is bound to die
This had me choking on my coffee. ROFL! Good point, though. I'm grateful I've only been to a handful of funerals in my entire 44 years, and my dh's family doesn't do funerals. I haven't been to one in 11 years. Please let that continue...*knocking on wood vigorously*

Old 04-04-2008, 07:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Well, I thought a dress or a very nice pantsuit would be appropriate; but then I talked to a recent grad of U. of Il. and--much to my surprise--seems as if alot of the mothers in the Midwest (or at this graduation, anyway) wore things like khaki capri pants and a shirt. Yeah...I, too, was surprised.
Yes, as I said before, it seems like anything goes these days. But that doesn't mean *you* need to go the capris route, and as others have said, it would be kind of nice to look at those pictures and see you somewhat gussied up for such a wonderful occasion.
Quote:
I surely will take a look at Coldwater Creek. I have a girlfriend in San Francisco who wears that brand. I have never worn anything by them, but will do so now. Thanks.
One of the things I like about Coldwater Creek is their sales--you can really get a good deal.
I like Chicos, too, but in my experience it is much more difficult to get a good deal. Their sales are not marked down all that much, and have less merchandise.
You know that most of that cotton stuff from Guatemala probably cost pennies to make, and I hate paying full price for it.
edited to add:
J Jill is another possible choice. They can be pricey, too--or maybe I'm just too cheap.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 04-04-2008 at 07:54 AM..

Old 04-04-2008, 10:15 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
Supposedly there is a Coldwater Creek near here, so I will be going to look.
I do watch the "What Not to Wear" show with Kelly and Stacy alot. I have listened to their good suggestions for my particular body type, and I see that Coldwater Creek incorporates many of those suggestions. They must be styling for many older women who have bigger bustlines and wider waists, I think. Anyway, I like their styles.
Gosh..I have gotten so cheap that $89 for skirt seems expensive now...haha!

Old 04-24-2011, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 12,980 times
Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Think of the picture that will be taken after the ceremony of the two of you. It's going to be a cherished picture. So think about how you will want to look for that Kodak moment. And your son will be introducing you to his friends and possibly professors. Plus afterwards, the two of you will want to go out to eat at a nice place.

I hardly ever wear a dress or a formal outfit, but I always have some nice clothes for those twice a year special occasions. I hunt on eBay for used clothing. Last month, I bought a gorgeous simple linen dress in a neutral tan with a matching jacket. It's by Emmanuel and it only cost $40. It's something to wear in warm weather or when we go down to Florida and his mom takes us out to brunch.
Thank You So very much. I was worried about what to wear to my sons Graduation from UT in May.
I do not own any formal wear nor does My mother. But we do have nice dress cloths.
~Regina~

Old 04-24-2011, 07:32 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
One thing to consider is where the graduation will be held. Will it be outside or in? It it is held outside, what will the weather be like? Will the seating be covered? When our son graduated from law school, the graduation ceremony was outside and it was quite warm, although our seating was under a large tent. I wore a skirt, shell and lightweight short jacket and felt that I fit in with the rest of the crowd. As the mother of a grad, I would never wear capris to a college graduation.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:10 AM

56 posts, read 127,559 times
Knee length skirts with designer top or tunics with high heels will go well with the occasion of graduation. Trousers with jackets or shirts can be worn but it would be more formal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty