Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 06:55 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I would love to try that but every time I use any kind of oil on my face at night I break out. I will check into yours.

Which one did you get?

I have tried coconut oil, vitamin E oil, and almond. All no good for me. Heck I break out from Collagen lotions. The lavender in yours must jut be a scent for the carrier oils.
If you haven't reacted well to almond, then you wouldn't like mine. Perhaps try the rosehip oil as the poster above suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 06:59 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
The one I have been laughing at for the last 50 years - you are more likely to cut yourself using a dull razor than a new one (legs). The blood streaming down my legs whenever I use a new razor says otherwise.

Also, how about, if you have a prominent nose, use lighter foundation down the center to make it less noticeable. That's fine, but when you turn sideways, the cat's out of the bag.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:01 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
When I was much younger, I was told to “tone” my face after cleansing. I never knew what “toning” was supposed to do, but it involved a liquid that had alcohol in it, and it stung and burned my skin.

So, I simply finished with a little water.

No one needs harsh substances on one’s face. I just ignored that rec and proceded with cleanser and moisturizer.

In the 1980s most women came into contact with the Color Me Beautiful book that told us what “season” we were, and recommended a color palette for us. I am a Spring, and I learned a lot from reading that book. I know I look best in warm colors, and this knowledge has been helpful with choosing clothing and cosmetics. But I have also learned that I am happy wearing denim in almost any form, and chambray. I don’t care if they aren’t Spring colors. I love wearing them too much to give them up. Same with gray. I prefer it for me over black, which seemed like the universal color for everyone for awhile. So, I wear denims, chambrays and grays with pleasure, and don’t worry about always wearing Spring colors, which often aren’t available anyway.
Toners are supposed to remove any debris left after cleansing and tightening pores. There are also toners that use witch hazel instead of alcohol now.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:00 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
Using face cleanser 2x a day (morning and night). I still use it at night but I don't see the point in stripping the moisture off my face in morning when all I did was sleep. So I started skipping morning wash. Just splash water on my face in morning and call it a day. I like it.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:05 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Beauty myth: Shampooing hair every day, and not just that, but washing, rinse, repeat. Not necessary.

That was just a marketing ploy to get women to use more shampoo, thus buying it more often.

I shampoo my hair every other day, but use conditioner every day.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:29 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
When I was much younger, I was told to “tone” my face after cleansing. I never knew what “toning” was supposed to do, but it involved a liquid that had alcohol in it, and it stung and burned my skin.

So, I simply finished with a little water.

No one needs harsh substances on one’s face. I just ignored that rec and proceded with cleanser and moisturizer.

In the 1980s most women came into contact with the Color Me Beautiful book that told us what “season” we were, and recommended a color palette for us. I am a Spring, and I learned a lot from reading that book. I know I look best in warm colors, and this knowledge has been helpful with choosing clothing and cosmetics. But I have also learned that I am happy wearing denim in almost any form, and chambray. I don’t care if they aren’t Spring colors. I love wearing them too much to give them up. Same with gray. I prefer it for me over black, which seemed like the universal color for everyone for awhile. So, I wear denims, chambrays and grays with pleasure, and don’t worry about always wearing Spring colors, which often aren’t available anyway.

While I agree the season/color palette does point out most attractive colors for a woman to work with, I too would never stick to that just because a book said to do so. I wear anything I like, like you, silib....the only color I avoid is a dungy yellow that makes my skin really sallow as well as beige. Taupe yes, not beige.

Hopefully no one sticks exclusively to the book suggestions....

Old 09-04-2018, 09:32 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsnowbird View Post
the one i have been laughing at for the last 50 years - you are more likely to cut yourself using a dull razor than a new one (legs). The blood streaming down my legs whenever i use a new razor says otherwise.

Also, how about, if you have a prominent nose, use lighter foundation down the center to make it less noticeable. That's fine, but when you turn sideways, the cat's out of the bag.
lol...

Old 09-04-2018, 02:04 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I would love to try that but every time I use any kind of oil on my face at night I break out. I will check into yours.

Which one did you get?

I have tried coconut oil, vitamin E oil, and almond. All no good for me. Heck I break out from Collagen lotions. The lavender in yours must jut be a scent for the carrier oils.
If you are breaking out over night that suggest an allergy. Pimples typically don't originate on that kind of time scale.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I'm a Spring, too, but I sampled a couple of other color theories besides the book. Apparently, denim blue works for all color types/seasons, which could explain its widespread popularity.

Beauty myth: brush your hair 100 strokes a day.
This used to be good advice, when women had long hair and didn't wash it often, maybe only once a month.

Brushing it over and over moves the oils from your scalp all the way down to the dry ends of your hair, leaving it all evenly moisturized.

But if you wash your hair every day, there is really no point.
I agree. When I had long hair I never did all that brushing. Pointless.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
While I agree the season/color palette does point out most attractive colors for a woman to work with, I too would never stick to that just because a book said to do so. I wear anything I like, like you, silib....the only color I avoid is a dungy yellow that makes my skin really sallow as well as beige. Taupe yes, not beige.

Hopefully no one sticks exclusively to the book suggestions....
When I did try to stick to those suggestions, many years ago, I just ended up wearing a lot of ecru. For years spring colors were barely available.

So, yeah, use the knowledge, but don’t be a slave to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty