Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:22 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,319 times

Advertisements

Those and the vape cigarette stores, and Iphone repair shops. It's low end. We've progressed a long way since the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 11:58 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Exactly! You've hit the nail on the head. Manicures & pedicures were once reserved for the well off. Then the Asians* started opening nail places and lowered the price to where the middle class could afford to get them also. I took my acrylics off almost a year ago after an 11 day hospitalization but I may put them back because I have such deep ridges in my nails. I have checked and it's not something I am lacking in nutrients because my mother has the same thing.
Thanks for the interesting explanation of the history behind nail salons. I realize now why so many of the salons are Vietnamese owned, it's because of the influx of immigrants fleeing Vietnam after the war ended with the fall of Saigon in '75. I bet that correlates to the beginning of Vietnamese owned nail salons and the prices becoming more affordable.

It's quite possible that some workers are working for sub-standard wages. It's also quite possible that's because it's a family business and they all live in the same family home. That is not unlike farming families where the children work on the farm unpaid, but they will end up owning the business some day.

As far as your nail ridges, have you always had that or was it caused by the acrylics? If always, then I have nothing to say. If damage, I've had cuticle injuries cause ridges that eventually disappeared after several months or a year. (I suspect you've always had the ridges, just asking.)

Old 09-19-2018, 02:46 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
The ridges started about 15 years ago before I started with the acrylics but the older I get the worse they get. Apparently for some people it's age related. It could also be caused by the metal implements I used a little too vigorously on my cuticles. I was thinking about trying gel nails but I don't like the idea of having to soak my fingers in acetone to remove them so I'll probably go back to my very thin coat of acrylic. I used to have such pretty hands & nails; I was actually asked to be a hand model in my late teens but not anymore. Age can be a beyotch.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:25 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Its every bit as dangerous for you though.. no matter if you have reactions to it or not..and if you knew about MCS you would understand thats it not standing around doors or close to something that causes symptoms.... it can be smelled a long way off long before getting near the nail bar.. same with those awful smelly candle shops.. theyre lethal... time will tell and the public are finding out the dangers in being around these chemicals or working with them... I know its difficult to understand if your not a sufferer but its really a horrible condition to have , so debilitating going anwhere .....My neighbours fabric conditioner smell blowing into the back garden knocks me for six and I have to keep windows and doors tight shut .. another dangerous junk laden item thats not needed.. thats on a daily basis not now and then passing a nail bar.. which I avoid like the plague..Im sorry but you just dont understand..

Nope. I've walked past plenty of nail salons. There's no wafting chemical smell coming from them. We have 2 nail salons in our local mall, and a nail salon in a nearby strip mall (that one, I used to patronize) and no...there wasn't any chemical fumes coming from them.

Do you have issues with hair salons? Cause THERE is some chemical smells.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:17 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Nope. I've walked past plenty of nail salons. There's no wafting chemical smell coming from them. We have 2 nail salons in our local mall, and a nail salon in a nearby strip mall (that one, I used to patronize) and no...there wasn't any chemical fumes coming from them.

Do you have issues with hair salons? Cause THERE is some chemical smells.
I dont go near them either ... sad isnt it. but true....I wasnt referring to salons as in a shop.. I was meaning the ones stuck right in the middle of the mall or shopping centre where the public have to pass , theres no escape to visit other shops... we have them in all the big malls now and you can smell them from a distance.. maybe they use cheaper toxic crap I dont know and dont want to.... them and the horrible smelly candle shops that reek out shops nearby..I have a granddaughter who has very bad asthma adn she still goes to have these acrylic nails done even when its causing her to be ill.Ive tried to tell her but she knows best it seems...if people wont listen then theres not much more I can do.. https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/nailsalons...alhazards.html maybe a new slogan should be Wake up and smell the toulene. https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/nailsalons...alhazards.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty