Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 07:53 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times

Advertisements

I would like to know, how do stores stock their Fall clothes in various warm climates?

I know here in the Phoenix area at least with the brands that I buy, there seems to be a difference between Kohl's and JCPenney. Kohl's for the past few years has tended to stock fall fleeces locally, while JCPenney has not. I'm not sure about Macy's since I don't shop much there anymore.

What about other warm climates such as Houston or Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 08:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I live in NE Texas. We have mild winters here generally though it does get cold and wet and icy occasionally. Falls are generally warmish through October, though nights and mornings can be cool.

What I see here is fall colors, as well as closed toed shoes, short booties, lots of scarves and light jackets. I'm good with that - I actually like all that so it's easy to transition into fall clothes for me. Lots of pants in heavier fabrics, but not a lot of fleece or corderoy.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:27 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Honestly, I don't notice a huge difference in what the stores stock here in Dallas. I've lived in NY, NC, SC, GA before Dallas. In the more 'fashion' stores (ie not an outdoor-driven store), there honestly isn't a big noticeable difference to me. All Saints, Banana Republic, HM, Bonobos, and other places I shop still have a pretty full array of sweaters and jackets and cords and flannel lined chinos etc. out on display here in Texas. The only real difference is that they tend to get them later in the year and box them up earlier.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:28 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I am always amazed that here in coastal GA, when it’s still in the 80 s and 90s and the humidity is through the roof, they still put out sweaters and long sleeved clothing, and a lot of polyester (which makes me steam like a clam). I don’t know who buys it.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:02 AM

I actually wonder about how fashion companies time their shipments of their collections to stores in specific regions. I wonder if the Spring collections are shipped to warmer climates before the colder climates, while the Fall collections are shipped to colder climates before the warmer climates.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
All I can tell you is that we went to Maine in September a couple of years ago, and the SUMMER clothes that were on clearance were things like light jackets, hoodies, etc. I racked up, because those are winter clothes here.

I was all excited about going to LL Bean but when we got there, everything was so incredibly heavy that I couldn't imagine wearing it in Texas, so I didn't even buy a pair of socks there. Bummer.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that we went to Maine in September a couple of years ago, and the SUMMER clothes that were on clearance were things like light jackets, hoodies, etc. I racked up, because those are winter clothes here.

I was all excited about going to LL Bean but when we got there, everything was so incredibly heavy that I couldn't imagine wearing it in Texas, so I didn't even buy a pair of socks there. Bummer.
I wonder if what you saw were actually Pre-Fall collections. This is somewhat common among higher-end brands as a transitional collection, which are more lightweight than their typical Fall/Winter collections. Pre-Fall is typically released around May.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:06 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Winter coats are already on the racks in my area.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:22 PM

I think JCPenney may be trying to follow Macy's when it comes to what to stock in each store based on regional demographics. While I haven't been to Macy's lately, I know Macy's has historically stocked each store based on regional demographics, and maybe because JCPenney might now be trying to follow a similar model I might now be seeing less of the fall/winter clothes in my area than I have in the past, and earlier arrival of the spring/summer clothes.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:23 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
I really don't think they do it any differently in warm or cold climates. I think higher end companies ship their cruise stuff in early December for rich snowbirds. But other than that, I think it's all the same. I live in Chicago and fall stuff starts coming in around August here. But I don't think anyone buys anything that early. They wait til November when it goes on sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty