Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 01:11 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I used to wear mens undies when you could buy thongs but now you cannot buy them ANYWHERE thanks to the popularity of these god-awful boxer briefs. The ladies thongs are made so poorly that they only last a month or two before they start falling apart. The mens thongs lasted for months! Maybe even years! I think I still have a few tucked in the back of my undie drawer.
You can keep the thongs, mens and womens. I spent too much of my life pulling my panties out of my butt crack to spend money on panties made to go in ones butt crack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 02:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
I had a girlfriend who was, I guess, more "modest" than some and her main swimsuit was a sport bra and a male jammer because she loved wearing bikinis but hated the "standard" bikinis (and jammers/speedos last longer). She was f'n' HOT in that getup too!

So yeah, om mani, wear what you like, care not what others think, hum.
I agree with that last statement. The only guy things I feel comfortable in though are some sweatshirts.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:32 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Only my husband's old flannel shirts. I can't resist them, so soft and warm, just roll the sleeves up and they're perfect to wear around the house when it's cold.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:17 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Love wearing my husband white tee-shirts as pajamas. And I've been know to wear his jockey shorts when all my undies were in the wash. Love to find some of THOSE without the front opening. Very comfy.

Also wear North Face zip off pants/shorts which I guess are mens, got them from Goodwill and am not particularly picky.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:40 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's not because I want to be a man; I am very satisfied with my gender identity. However, I need to buy a heavy parka for my winter work in arctic Alaska and am thinking about purchasing a men's jacket. I wear men's socks and boy's athletic shoes because they last so much longer and are cheaper. Men's clothes are cheaper and are generally better made. I am also short and want one that can reach my knees to keep my legs warm. Does anyone else do this?
Absolutely. I saw downthread that you are most concerned about size. Most sites will tell you the measurements for their sizes, but overall, I think that there is less variation with men's sizes than women's, particularly with something like a parka. I tend to like my coats to be on the large size so I can wear layers underneath.

What kind of work are you going to be doing? You need to consider the proper footwear, too.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
It's not because I want to be a man; I am very satisfied with my gender identity. However, I need to buy a heavy parka for my winter work in arctic Alaska and am thinking about purchasing a men's jacket. I wear men's socks and boy's athletic shoes because they last so much longer and are cheaper. Men's clothes are cheaper and are generally better made. I am also short and want one that can reach my knees to keep my legs warm. Does anyone else do this?
Well, I'm a guy but I believe it's very common to do this for work coats and such as you describe. Obviously the question is whether you can get something that fits adequately. Of course we all know the obvious ways men and women are shaped differently, but also there's arm length; men have MUCH longer arms proportionally. If you found a coat intended for the Asian market you'd probably be better off than one intended for the American market.

There's also the factor that many more men than women do outdoor work in inclement weather so there will be a much larger selection in men's sizes.

My wife's legs are about the same length as mine but my pants are ridiculous on her and she's a fairly slim woman. If she puts on any of my shirts/sweaters/coats the sleeves just hang inches past her hands; and we are both kind of average height.

If you are going to spend significant money on an outdoor coat anyway, it may make sense to buy one that fits well everywhere else and have a tailor shorten the sleeves.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:01 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, I'm a guy but I believe it's very common to do this for work coats and such as you describe. Obviously the question is whether you can get something that fits adequately. Of course we all know the obvious ways men and women are shaped differently, but also there's arm length; men have MUCH longer arms proportionally. If you found a coat intended for the Asian market you'd probably be better off than one intended for the American market.

There's also the factor that many more men than women do outdoor work in inclement weather so there will be a much larger selection in men's sizes.

My wife's legs are about the same length as mine but my pants are ridiculous on her and she's a fairly slim woman. If she puts on any of my shirts/sweaters/coats the sleeves just hang inches past her hands; and we are both kind of average height.

If you are going to spend significant money on an outdoor coat anyway, it may make sense to buy one that fits well everywhere else and have a tailor shorten the sleeves.
I have to agree with this. I'm short and big busted and I 'appropriated' two of my exes winter coats and wore them for years and years. They were roomy without that weird tightness in the shoulder/upper arm area, a nice hip length, plus they had plenty of huge pockets, big enough to carry stuff in. However the sleeves definitely had to be rolled up as they were a few inches too long.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I would love longer sleeves. Not all women have short arms. But a man’s jacket would be too small at the bottom, and probably be too big in the shoulders. I have a XL men’s size sweatshirt. It is quite large in the arms and shoulders, then tapers a bit at the waist. I am not shaped like that at all. I’d hate to wear a jacket shaped that way.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:11 AM

45 posts, read 29,472 times
Quote:
Men's clothes are cheaper and are generally better made. I am also short and want one that can reach my knees to keep my legs warm. Does anyone else do this?

Nothing wrong with wearing men's clothes as a woman. Why should it?

Old 09-23-2018, 08:50 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
But I thought guy's T-shirts are considered unisex, anyways?

As a straight guy I like girls wearing guy's clothes, like my friend, who is a geeky tomboy; everyday, she wears guy's T-shirts and guy's jeans or sweatpants and a guy's hoodie. She never wears make up, either; but at the same time she has long hair (which feminizes her otherwise masculine get-up.) She's always been one of the guys.

Funny thing is, she denies being a tomboy and said she likes wearing dresses and skirts, even I've never seen her wear dresses, skirts, or even shorts, not even during the summer. I did see a photo of her as a bridesmaid at her sister's wedding in a yellow gown, and it took me a while to realize it was her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty