Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 08:46 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times

Advertisements

Rarely. I buy things I like with no extreme details that will go out of style quickly. If it's flattering and it's not worn out it stays in my closet. I did go a little overboard his year after finding companies that make clothes in the US (Karen Kane and Amour Vert) and bought a couple of salwar kameez outfits in India but my total spending YTD on clothes (including a couple of pair of Birkenstocks) is only a little over $500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 09:08 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, how often do you feel the need to update your clothes?
I don't have a schedule for updating my clothes. I tend to go in spurts - I only shop when I'm in the mood to do so, which really isn't all that often. For the most part, I just buy whatever I want, whenever I want. I do have way too many clothes, though and I think I'd feel a lot better about my clothes and the state of my closet (kind of a mess!) if I went though everything and purged the items that I don't really wear that often.

The main problem with purging, for me, is that it always seems like as soon as I get rid of something, I feel like I made a mistake and wish I hadn't gotten rid of it. This goes for just about everything - not just clothes.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:29 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I add items every season, but do less updating in retirement. Every so often, I realize that I must get rid of several things and replace, and I’m in that place this season. A lot of what I’ve been wearing is just old.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:53 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I add items every season, but do less updating in retirement. Every so often, I realize that I must get rid of several things and replace, and I’m in that place this season. A lot of what I’ve been wearing is just old.

I'm like this with shoes right now. I have 3 or 4 pair that are just plain worn out, and I SHOULD be embarassed to wear them. Well, I AM embarassed, but until I can replace them, I'll hang on to them for now.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:55 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,252 times
As an adult, 1966, 1971, 1985 & 2004. Clothing was 90% business attire and 10% casual clothing. Business attire was updated based upon clothing appropriate for a new job. In 2010 I started walking everyday for exercise and I went from a size 8-10 to a size 4 in a matter of 6 months and that required a completely new business wardrobe. Once I retired in 2014 the business clothing was donated and I needed to add more causal clothing for 95% of my new activities. Over the past year my clothing purchases have moved to active wear due to strength training and taking on much more physical activities.

So, on average I would say about once every 10 years. Only once was it based on a change in my size. Most of the time a new wardrobe was a result of appropriate clothing for a new job. Once retired my wardrobe went to casual and eventually to active wear because I now participate in much more physically demanding activities.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:10 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times
Every time I have extra money and find a really good sale. I generally buy 5-10 items a year - could be shoes, t-shirts, jeans, or nicer blouses and slacks for work. I continuously add and delete items in my wardrobe.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:48 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, how often do you feel the need to update your clothes?

I update almost every spring, but less so in fall. However, this fall I decided to buy a new red and black gingham shirt, because for Christmas parties I feel like I should change it up a little (rather than always wearing a solid red button-down); Christmas day though I will probably wear a red interlock polo. Still, I also look for treasures from past seasonal collections that I missed out on; this year I found a pink/white gingham linen/cotton blend button-down dating back to Spring 2013 that still had the tags on it.
When something no longer feels comfortable. Fabrics I used to like all of sudden feel too heavy or itchy. Things like that. Out they go and I get new things. Usually spring and summer.

Fall I like comfy sweaters. But I did switch to turtlenecks. As you get older you tend to feel the cold more along your back and shoulders. Regular or v neckline doesn't help.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:14 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
There are some years/seasons when I buy nothing; others where I purchase a few pieces to stay on trend and freshen up my wardrobe a bit. I tend to roll with the European manner of dressing, i.e., buy somewhat higher end, classic pieces mixed with more "downmarket" things I pick up here and there while at the same time not maintaining a huge wardrobe. As a result, I have some items of clothing that I've had for over a decade that are still stylish and look like new even though they've seen regular wear. Things like jeans I buy at thrift stores as the selection is so much better at such places--not to mention that for the sale price of one expensive pair jeans, I can buy several barely worn pairs. (Sometimes I get lucky and find ones that have never been worn. Score!).

Footwear I buy at places like DSW or, if there's a sale, departments or specialty stores. I refuse to pay the better part of a hundred dollars plus for plastic shoes, so I have to go to such places to find quality leather goods. I've had my favorite tall boots reheeled/resoled several times, which was well worth their original price as it's not easy to find tall boots with a slender high heel. Sandals don't last as long for me, so I tend to buy those every few years; a bit more often as trends change as they don't tend to be overly expensive.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:34 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
depends upon how often i visit the Goodwill store.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:14 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,367,244 times
One of the nice things about being a "senior" is that I no longer feel the need to do much of anything that I don't absolutely have to do -- and keeping up with fashion is one of them!

However, it does help that ever since my mid-20's, I have always liked classic looks that never go out of style, and that now my wardrobe consists mainly of jeans and turtlenecks or long-sleeve tees in cold weather, and lightweight capris in warm weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty