Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 10:26 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

I don't like the idea of strictly age appropriate clothing. I have had someone my age tell me that I should be wearing polo shirts and khaki chinos instead of slim cut jeans. Um, I am not exactly wearing skinny jeans and I really don't want to project the image of a lower middle management schlub, thanks.

That said, letterman jackets are more than just an article of clothing that sits within an age-of-wearer context. It specifically connotes a high schooler or college guy.

That said, I am from New York, and letterman jackets do seem to have had some longevity, in the past, for people of a more advanced age. I remember there was a Seinfeld episode that had a subplot about Jerry finally giving up his letterman jacket phase in his 30s.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:29 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Ok, I've decided not to get the jacket. It seems I've pissed off a lot of people and I don't understand why.
I don't think anyone's upset but you. You asked a question whether this type of clothing would be ok/appropriate/cool/whatever for a 30 something man and most of us said "No, not really" and gave you several reasons why.

If you had your own letterman jacket, which you earned by lettering in a sport, and were an honoree at a banquet or event for former players at your high school then it might be appropriate to wear to that.

My 45th high school reunion was last year. We still had several attendees who gathered in a group and talked about the "big game". Now, most of them were **** faced when they did it, but still. We're talking about a high school class of 200 from a very rural school system in PA that has more than its share of doctors (all varieties, medical related and others, about 15 or so), military officers (including a couple of Generals), lawyers, teachers, industry CEOs, elected officials in a few different states, etc.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:36 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Ok, I've decided not to get the jacket. It seems I've pissed off a lot of people and I don't understand why.
Pissed off might be a little strong, but you asked for opinions and then proceeded to tell people why their opinions were wrong. That never goes over well.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:53 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Letterman's jackets are only appropriate in any event if you actually earned the letter and not past being 19. The college I attended banned them because so many local kids went there and the old high school rivalries would surface.
NBP, I was going to say the same thing, but I was going to cut him some slack and say to age 21.

BTW, I still have one hanging in the closet, unless it has crumbled.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:39 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
freshfresh, picture this: You are a 15 yr-old boy, out for whatever reason with your mid-30s dad. Would you just want to crawl in a hole and die if your dad was wearing a (fake) letterman jacket?

Yes. you would. You know you would.

I'm not pissed off at you. I just think you should realize that you are over 1/3 of the way into your earthly life span. People your own age won't take you seriously and younger women will think you're creepy. I don't know how younger men will react.

There are many choices you can make but this jacket isn't, or shouldn't be, one of them.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:18 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Pissed off might be a little strong, but you asked for opinions and then proceeded to tell people why their opinions were wrong. That never goes over well.
True ^ . Thread closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty