Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 11:31 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I don't care if it's "constructive," the styles are stupid and the only things available on the market other than Tripps and Jncos. I'm virtually stuck buying sh!te pants I don't like that are effing ugly. The thread is about styles you want to go away, not syles that you like.
This thread is not about styles you want to go away.

Regardless, my point is that you are flat out wrong that skinny jeans are the only style on the market besides Tripps and Jncos. I don't know where you are looking but a plethora of other cuts and fits are out there depending on where you shop.

For budget jeans, Levi's carries near 20 variations of cuts, Arizona jeans carries 8 different cuts. Wrangler carries 7 different cuts. That's just more generic jeans, before you get into all the various stores that cater to certain crowds. Most places that I look at denim have at least 4+ different cuts that range from skin-tight to straight up baggy. Boot cuts, carpenters, straight leg, tapered, stretch, no stretch. I see more styles, cuts, and options for jeans out there for guys right now than I ever have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 12:19 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Funny. I was thinking about Tripps in terms of styles from past fashions that are no longer made. I mean, I know that Tripp pants are still made. But some of the particular styles I liked from the late 90s and early 2000s are no longer sold in stores, and I have better luck on Ebay buying used, than I do at Tripp's website.

I have two pairs of very tight "skinny" Tripps that I wear ONLY with tall socks and boots (I hate skinny jeans unless they're treated more or less like leggings, and worn with boots) and I also have four of my preferred style which are wide leg but not massively so. They are a mid-weight material I find very comfortable. And they're all black, with metal doodads on 'em. I believe all pairs came with those silly "bondage pants" straps or chains, which I immediately removed because I always found that aspect rather ridiculous.

So on Ebay or at secondhand stores, I sometimes keep an eye out for things that would have been sold in a Hot Topic about 15+ years ago. I struggle to find anything in those stores I'd even be willing to wear now. Too much branding and pop culture foolery splashed all over everything. But it's all for the kids, not for 39 year olds like me. After all, fashion would have it I should have traded in my Tripps for "mom jeans" or khakis or something, and my skulls for floral prints and pastels, some 9 or more years ago...

"Women over 30 should never wear..."

Old 10-11-2018, 12:25 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I would like to know, do you ever search for past styles that are no longer made?

Sometimes I search eBay or Poshmark to look for such styles. This year I have bought a pink/white gingham linen/cotton blend button-down shirt, and I just placed an order for pink/blue plaid swim trunks. The latter has been on eBay for a while (until now) and I have debated whether or not to buy it, but I just decided I should have such a pair for I can have an alternative to my pink Ralph Lauren swim trunks. Particularly, with the pink/blue swim trunks I can still wear a pink shirt at the same time. One thing I have been on the lookout for if one ever shows up in unworn condition is a solid pink interlock polo from my favorite brand's Spring 2015 collection (since mine was damaged by bleach or pool chlorine).
You're quite the fashion maven, OP! It's never occurred to me to look for older styles online; I check consignment shops from time to time. And sometimes the current trends of whatever decade are so unappealing, that I break down, and find someone to make a couple of items for me. But these days, there are websites that offer retro styles for women, with options for customizing. There's probably no equivalent for men, though.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:25 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I don't care if it's "constructive," the styles are stupid and the only things available on the market other than Tripps and Jncos. I'm virtually stuck buying sh!te pants I don't like that are effing ugly. The thread is about styles you want to go away, not syles that you like.
I thought this was the other thread. My point still stands, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty