Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 12:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

If your skinny jeans are fairly heavy, just tuck them into tall boots.

Another look I see on young women is short dresses with dark tights. Sometimes, instead of tall boots, they wear short boots. This look is not my personal fave, but I see it a lot.

I think you can still buy bootcuts, and the shorter boots look good with those.

At least in the PNW, it’s boots everywhere for months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 12:56 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
I buy ankle cut skinny jeans (that have stretch to them) so they are tighter at the bottom and won't bunch up. If you buy the "boyfriend" or "straight" cut ones they will get all weird. I also wear a lot of thick leggings. And I still wear flats if there's no snow on the ground. Unless I am going to be out in it, walking around, I don't worry about it much.

I do always keep a pair of snow boots in my car in case something happens. Heck, if it's snowy and wet I will wear my boots and change into my flats in the office. All of my dress pants are ankle cut, so it doesn't "look cute" but it's only to my car and back.

Look on Pinterest to see if anything gives you inspiration. I'm visual, so I like seeing stuff together like that

Old 10-10-2018, 01:17 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Most of my jeans (and slacks for that matter) are skinny ankle style. They look great with sandals or ballet-type flats.

But now that I live in Utah, which has actual winters, I'm trying to figure out how to dress! Maybe I just need winter time jeans that will look ok with shoes and socks? That means I need new flats that look ok with socks, which so far I have not found at all. Ugh. If I wear boots do I need boot-cut jeans (slightly flared)? Or just wear my skinny ankle jeans, but roll them up to the top of the boot? (because they never stay smoothly tucked inside).

I just spent several hours shopping for cold weather jeans and shoes that will work together and I am failing miserably!

Help!

P.S. I can't do much of a heel at all, and I hate boots like Uggs.

Stop being so prissy girly. Utah needs rough and ready clothing so buy some simple tough jeans (NOT the fancy weak butt designer kind) and some warm long sleeve shirts. Buy a pair,or two, of high top leather shoes or boots that will protect your feet & legs in winters cold and summers heat. Just make sure that your new shoes are real leather!

Old 10-10-2018, 03:51 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Skinny jeans look great with ankle boots and Cowboy Boots.

Sock booties are also big this year and look great with skinny jeans.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:05 PM

I picked up grandkids today, and specifically noticed what young mothers were wearing. They were wearing tight jeans or tights. One nice looking woman wore tight jeans, cuffed twice above short boots. I thought this was an awfully nice look.

I might copy this, myself. But, I admit I am tiring of tight jeans.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:13 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
If you are just out and about running errands or whatever, thick leggings and boots work very well - your choice on low, mid or high on the boots. Or you can buy some winterweight tights and wear a longish dress and boots.

If you are going to be out for an extended period of time, like you work out of doors, then you'd want specialty gear. If you are only going to be out for a more extended time for a special event like going to cut your own Christmas tree or for an outdoor tree lighting or something along those lines, then you can wear long underwear under the leggings and you should be warm enough (with upper layers, and a proper coat, hat, scarf, gloves, of course!)

Old 10-11-2018, 06:56 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. Yesterday I bought two pairs of flat ankle boots and 4 pairs of slightly flared jeans. They look good together. I like that these jeans fit fairly snugly (not tight, but not saggy-baggy) with just enough roominess at the ankle to lay nicely over the boots. Maybe a couple pairs of heavy leggings and I should be all set.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:59 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
One of my favorite looks is black skinny jeans tucked into tall Frye boots, or cowboy boots, turtleneck, blazer.
The 1970s!

Old 10-12-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Footwear is so problematic sometimes.

I’ve noticed a lot of short boots with skinny pants, and I like how it looks.....so socks under and short boots over.

I’m probably going to order these:
https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...e-shopping-bag
Those are nice looking boots. Here is what I bought a few weeks ago:

https://www.zappos.com/product/89050..._source=google. Mine are a nice medium brown.

I wore these recently with my pink skinny jeans— cuffed twice— and colorful socks.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:05 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
If it's really cold you will stay warmer not to wear tight fitting clothes as the air space between the clothing contributes to insulation. Tight fitting wool pants would be somewhat of an exception as wool contains its own air spaces. Remember, if you get at all damp, those cotton jeans will become very very cold very quickly, whereas wool retains much of its insulating capabilities even when wet.

Cotton Kills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty