Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 12:40 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times

Advertisements

There have been a few threads on this in past years, but not recently. And they weren't that helpful.

I have a few small roundish med-brown sunspots on one of my facial cheeks. I have light-medium skin color and brown hair.

I've been using Retinaldehyde (a faster-effect Retinol OTC serum) and a 20% vitamin C serum under my regular moisturizers for a year. Those products are supposed to fade sun spots, among other things. The spots are still there and MAYBE a tad lighter. (I use a mineral sunscreen 50 spf daily.)

I've read up on IPL and Fraxel treatments. I read that IPL isn't a sure thing for sun spots, but will likely remove sun spots. I also read that Fraxel treatments will remove them, but Fraxel is expensive ($1,500 or maybe even $2k), and has down time of up to 5 days or so.

Hydroquinone is now prescription only, and it's not OTC any more for a reason: it can actually make spots darker (I read).

Has anyone successfully had small sun spots removed, and if so, how did you do it? Or have you known anyone who has had that done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 06:23 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
I have been using Tretinoin for many years and it has removed all my freckles over time so I have no spots of any kind on my face. I have a number of sun spots on my body.

I would recommend going to a dermatologist. They may be able to do a spot touch laser of some kind. Those prices must be for full face or larger areas. Anyhow, the dermatologist would know what is best.

They freeze off the spots they don't like the looks of on my legs and after the spot forms a scab, the scab will go away at some point and there is no more spot, no scar, no anything, so I am sure they have a solution.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:43 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
I had IPL at a dermatologist office. This was years ago & just one spot came back but more faint. I was a sun lover, still am but now I use sunscreen.

Old 01-14-2023, 06:48 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
I haven’t had any treatments and they have faded a lot just with using argan oil in the morning under my moisturizing sunblock. At night I switch off using a niacinamide/vit c product and retinol vitamin c product. I used to have one huge brown spot on my forehead. It is still there, but much less visible than it was previously.

Old 01-14-2023, 07:10 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
I use organic castor oil. You put it on your face on the dark spots, leave it on for a few hours and then rinse. I use it a couple times/day, or more often, every time I remember. The spots fade away but it takes time. At least a month.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:56 AM

403 posts, read 221,126 times
https://consumereview.org/reviews/sk...o%20-%20Phrase

https://smarter-reviews.com/lp/sr-sp...092e6c2338272d

Avoid creams containing hydroquinone, a potentially unsafe ingredient.
The above creams are out of my price range.
Never tried them.

I make my own (kind of) - half is Josie Maran argan MILK and the other half is a mix in equal amounts of vitamin C serum, retinol 1%, collagen, hyaluronic acid. I use it once a week (as it is too acidic ) and Josie Maran's Milk daily. Really brightens the skin.

I am cheap. DIY micro needling ($10 roller) at home gave me an unexpected, good results. I bought it out of curiosity and just started doing it.
Right after the face look rough and red. But, after about a week - refreshed, brightened face with tightened skin and newly developed fine wrinkles gone...Age/sunspots faded. Just after one use.
It supposed to be good for scars and even hair growth.

Sunblock (include hands, neck) is a must.

Old 01-14-2023, 11:19 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
I have a similar issue... It's not sun spots, but melasma on my forehead. I've tried Vitamin C, niacinamide, azelaic acid and kojic acid..and nothing seems to work. I think I'm going to get the prescription strength hydroquinone... I know some people advise against that, but I think it's best most effective way to fade discoloration..

Old 01-14-2023, 02:15 PM

How about Kojic acid?
https://www.shape.com/lifestyle/beau...ompound%20that

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...HDRSC2&first=1

https://www.amazon.com/Lightening-Hy...ty%2C74&sr=1-2

I did not try it myself, but pics ^^^ look promising.

Note: do not use Retinol when trying it and do a skin test first in case you have an allergy to it.

Last edited by Straight Arrow; 01-14-2023 at 02:38 PM..

Old 01-15-2023, 02:47 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,708,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
https://consumereview.org/reviews/sk...o%20-%20Phrase

https://smarter-reviews.com/lp/sr-sp...092e6c2338272d

Avoid creams containing hydroquinone, a potentially unsafe ingredient.
The above creams are out of my price range.
Never tried them.

I make my own (kind of) - half is Josie Maran argan MILK and the other half is a mix in equal amounts of vitamin C serum, retinol 1%, collagen, hyaluronic acid. I use it once a week (as it is too acidic ) and Josie Maran's Milk daily. Really brightens the skin.

I am cheap. DIY micro needling ($10 roller) at home gave me an unexpected, good results. I bought it out of curiosity and just started doing it.
Right after the face look rough and red.
But, after about a week - refreshed, brightened face with tightened skin and newly developed fine wrinkles gone...Age/sunspots faded. Just after one use.
It supposed to be good for scars and even hair growth.

Sunblock (include hands, neck) is a must.
Was this painful? I have thought about doing it.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Was this painful? I have thought about doing it.
No, but you have to time it - so that you will sit at home for a couple of days. The face will look a bit rough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG4Q7FlP-tw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty