Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 08:00 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,054,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Specifically - sneakers.

Typically I buy sneakers when I find a good deal, but I actually don't wear them until my current ones break. However, mine just don't break. There was one point in my life I had like a backlog of almost ~10 sneakers because my current ones just don't break and still are fine lol

First you need to understand that shoes wear out from the inside out NOT outside to in. Therefore, when your shoes no longer support your weight or your work it's time for new shoes......it matters not one bit if the shoes look ok on the outside !!!

That means worn out shoes serves only to keep your feet clean and nothing else!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 09:34 PM

860 posts, read 2,203,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Spice View Post
Holy cow. I am buying new ones every 2 months. Basically any time you see the 'Made-in-China' label, in the trash it goes in 60 days.
Wow, sounds very wasteful. So even if a pair is still in great condition, you throw them away in two months simply because it was made in China?

Old 10-15-2018, 09:14 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
I bought two pairs of sneakers last September. One pair is starting to get worn out. The other needs laces, but is otherwise fine. Both pairs of sandals need to be replaced for next year. One pair of brown work loafers (which aren't worn much due to not being comfortable) are fine. I have a pair of brown Clark Waves and a black pair of loafers that need to go.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:27 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
I always have 3 pairs.

1.) the newest, "like new" appearance, for dating only.
2.) next newest, a few scuffs, shopping and hanging out with my bros.
3.) the oldest, yard work or painting.

I generally buy 2 pairs at a time, one becomes my dating shoes, I leave the other in the box after trying them on to make sure the fit is right. In the list above I buy a new pair when my dating shoes start to look scuffed.

Now boots... That's a whole different story. I just can't resist cowboy boots, and if I like 'em I buy 'em. I've bought 5 pairs of cowboy boots this year (one of them for riding), and also have 2 pairs of Ugg after-ski boots, again 1 for dating and 1 for the coming skiing season.

I won't be surprised if I buy another pair of cowboy boots before long! It's my not-so-guilty pleasure!

Old 10-15-2018, 11:06 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Specifically - sneakers.

Typically I buy sneakers when I find a good deal, but I actually don't wear them until my current ones break. However, mine just don't break. There was one point in my life I had like a backlog of almost ~10 sneakers because my current ones just don't break and still are fine lol
I buy 2-4 pair when I can get a good sale. Then rotate them. The last time I bought any was 2 years ago, one pair has bit the dust...So am in the market for more...

Old 10-15-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
Wow, sounds very wasteful. So even if a pair is still in great condition, you throw them away in two months simply because it was made in China?

Many times pitching shoes because they look OK it's exactly the right thing to do. Quality leather shoes can be "reconditioned" to bring back the support they had when new. "Rubber" shoes like sneakers can not.....period!

Old 10-15-2018, 12:17 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
I wear trail runners which are basically a sneaker. I wear them until the tread wears out or the sole separates. Usually between 400-600 miles depending on how many miles of pavement vs. dirt I put on them.

Since I mainly wear Oxfords or Derbys as my daily street shoe, those 400-600 miles on my trail runners take about 8-12 months to accumulate.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I buy 2-4 pair when I can get a good sale. Then rotate them. The last time I bought any was 2 years ago, one pair has bit the dust...So am in the market for more...

Rotating your shoes is a great way to get many more months of wear out of them. Shoes always need to "dry out" from the sweat that your feet put in them during normal wear. A day of rest (wear a different pair) will do that for any shoe.

The ideal number of everyday shoes is 3 (work shoes / boots especially) to allow proper air drying. "Once in a while" shoes dry naturally over time. One thing to remember , that will do your body /shoes a good deed, is NEVER WEAR THE SAME PAIR OF SHOES TWO DAYS IN A ROW.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:42 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,426,122 times
I have to replace exercising shoes about 10 months when they start to hurt my feet & legs. My work shoes ones ones last about 6-8 months. My general outdoor ones last for a few years

Old 10-15-2018, 02:54 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Running shoes: when the midsole padding wears out. Usually the uppers and outsole are both still in pretty good condition, but with my foot problems I can't afford to take chances.

All-molded rubber sole shoes: when the sole gives out one way or another - it usually debonds from the upper, but sometimes it fails in other ways.

Dress shoes and loafers: I will only buy shoes with leather soles and rubber heels, so they can be re-soled; so I replace them when the leather of the upper cracks unrepairably. If you keep them properly polished you can get at least 10 years wear out of a good pair of dress shoes and I won't buy any other kind. Pretty much limits it to Alden and Allen Edmonds ($$$) and I can't afford the really super-ultra-pricey ones like John Lobb and some other brands I don't even know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty