Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 05:00 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,026,174 times

Advertisements

If you live in a city with lots of immigrants, and/or one with a pro soccer team, you should be able to find what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 06:03 PM

16,345 posts, read 12,322,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindatw View Post
Really, the stylist I had in Europe took about 20 minutes just to cut around my ears! It was all done very precisely and with great care. I have never seen such diligence and attention to detail in the US. I'm not saying the US is bad; it's just that there is no culture of complete thoroughness like there is in Europe.
You can achieve precision in less than 20 minutes. Just because they take longer, that doesn't mean it's superior quality.

Besides, I don't know that I want that kind of precision. I don't want a helmet.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:06 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,679,950 times
So long as a Bic razor in Europe does the same job as a Bic razor here in America, then I'm game.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:46 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,920,798 times
"...if there were European stylists here in the US that would give you an elegant cut at about the same price that you normally pay would you try it?"

no.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,724,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Ah, Europe, my favorite country!

Yeah, I'm sure that's it. Michelangelos with scissors.

I want this one.
LMAO. My second laugh in this, yet another thread about how people who don't get around much think Europeans are so much better than Americans.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:19 PM

9,232 posts, read 10,993,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The ... scissors?
LOLZ!

Quote:
No. I mean a precision cut that makes a man look like a gentleman, not a tough guy!

You see, in Europe they cut men's hair very, very short HOWEVER it is cut in a way that makes it look very different than the "crew cuts" in the US. I saw a barber in Europe pain stakingly cutting a man's hair who had very little hair left. The end result was not just a short cut but the look of an elegant gentleman. I don't know exactly how they do it but they do. They also take great pride in their work, something in the US is not held to such a standard.
So you're saying Euros look like sissies, rather than Real Men such as those seen on Rawhide reruns or Terminator movies?

Quote:
Really, the stylist I had in Europe took about 20 minutes just to cut around my ears! It was all done very precisely and with great care. I have never seen such diligence and attention to detail in the US. I'm not saying the US is bad; it's just that there is no culture of complete thoroughness like there is in Europe.
I guess being state subsidized allows them to spend an hour or two on what might take a normal person 15 minutes. Just guessing, mind you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Ah, Europe, my favorite country!

Yeah, I'm sure that's it. Michelangelos with scissors.

I want this one.
Yes, ^^THAT is one uber-elegant 'do! All he really needs is a feather stuck in there somewhere and he can have some owl friends!

That thing in back...is that a tow hook?

Old 10-19-2018, 08:29 PM

6,708 posts, read 4,694,509 times
I haven't noticed any difference in European haircuts than American ones. Some Europeans have good cuts, some look like shaggy dogs.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:21 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,378,636 times
Never did a haircut in Europe, going to try next time I stop by there. However, my DH, who is a professor, cuts my hair better than any of so-called hairdressers in our town in the US. After my last attempt to free him from the duty by going to a hair salon - he gets very nervous, even though I keep reminding him that hair is not legs, it will grow back - he admitted that he does better job than these people who dare call themselves professionals. Maybe in NY or LA it is possible to find a good hairdresser, but not in our town.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:00 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,380,420 times
Amazing. OP had a haircut in Istanbul....or maybe Helsinki. Oh well,,,same thing.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:26 AM

7,669 posts, read 5,385,670 times
Quote:
I was in Europe recently and I noticed that all the women and men had such elegant hair! So I got mine cut. Wow! It is noticeably different than any haircut I have ever got in the US. My theory is that what is in the European stylists hands is very different than in the US, probably due to the centuries old high artistic culture.

Hypothetically speaking, if there were European stylists here in the US that would give you an elegant cut at about the same price that you normally pay would you try it?
I used to travel frequently to Europe and then I lived in Germany for a couple of years. I agree that the stylists there are far superior to the average stylist here in the U.S. I found this to be true at all salons, even the corner salon near my flat. When I had my hair done in Germany it cost less, and the amount of tip expected was very little. All good.

The only thing I didn't like was the washbasins in the salons. They wheel them around to your chair and you bend forward and may get water in your face, as I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty