Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 02:06 PM

6 posts, read 5,312 times

Advertisements

I was in Europe recently and I noticed that all the women and men had such elegant hair! So I got mine cut. Wow! It is noticeably different than any haircut I have ever got in the US. My theory is that what is in the European stylists hands is very different than in the US, probably due to the centuries old high artistic culture.

Hypothetically speaking, if there were European stylists here in the US that would give you an elegant cut at about the same price that you normally pay would you try it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 02:14 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Sure, why not? As long as I'm not spending more than I am now, I'm willing to try anyone who is sufficiently experienced.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:15 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Do you mean the twinky little bangs the European men so often wear? No thanks.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:15 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindatw View Post
My theory is that what is in the European stylists hands is very different than in the US, probably due to the centuries old high artistic culture.
The ... scissors?

Old 10-19-2018, 02:18 PM

No. I mean a precision cut that makes a man look like a gentleman, not a tough guy!

You see, in Europe they cut men's hair very, very short HOWEVER it is cut in a way that makes it look very different than the "crew cuts" in the US. I saw a barber in Europe pain stakingly cutting a man's hair who had very little hair left. The end result was not just a short cut but the look of an elegant gentleman. I don't know exactly how they do it but they do. They also take great pride in their work, something in the US is not held to such a standard.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:32 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
They also take great pride in their work, something in the US is not held to such a standard.
Not sure I would agree with that statement, unless you're talking about places like Great Clips or Hair Cuttery.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not sure I would agree with that statement, unless you're talking about places like Great Clips or Hair Cuttery.
Really, the stylist I had in Europe took about 20 minutes just to cut around my ears! It was all done very precisely and with great care. I have never seen such diligence and attention to detail in the US. I'm not saying the US is bad; it's just that there is no culture of complete thoroughness like there is in Europe.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:49 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
I think I saw a YouTube video about this but can we get a picture so we can know what you are talking about?

Old 10-19-2018, 03:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
I was in Europe recently
Ah, Europe, my favorite country!

Quote:
My theory is that what is in the European stylists hands is very different than in the US, probably due to the centuries old high artistic culture.
Yeah, I'm sure that's it. Michelangelos with scissors.

Quote:
Hypothetically speaking, if there were European stylists here in the US that would give you an elegant cut at about the same price that you normally pay would you try it?
I want this one.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:46 PM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
No. I mean a precision cut that makes a man look like a gentleman, not a tough guy!

You see, in Europe they cut men's hair very, very short HOWEVER it is cut in a way that makes it look very different than the "crew cuts" in the US. I saw a barber in Europe pain stakingly cutting a man's hair who had very little hair left. The end result was not just a short cut but the look of an elegant gentleman. I don't know exactly how they do it but they do. They also take great pride in their work, something in the US is not held to such a standard.
I have had an elderly German barber cut and high light my hair while we lived in Alabama.

What do you know about US cosmetology standards for barbers and cosmetologists? The good ones charge just as they do elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty