Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 07:55 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times

Advertisements

I'm one that gets cold super easily. My old winter coat, Zero Xposur fell apart after about 5 years of heavy use during the cold, winter months. Are they still a great coat to buy? It had an inner shell jacket to keep me toasty warm. I live where there's a lot of snow and frigid temperature expected. So, I'm looking for something that will keep me warm on the coldest days of winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 08:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I'm one that gets cold super easily. My old winter coat, Zero Xposur fell apart after about 5 years of heavy use during the cold, winter months. Are they still a great coat to buy? It had an inner shell jacket to keep me toasty warm. I live where there's a lot of snow and frigid temperature expected. So, I'm looking for something that will keep me warm on the coldest days of winter.
I don’t know what price range you need, but good, solid coats can be found in the LL Bean catalog. They have several down coats and jackets, and I suspect they are quite warm.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:47 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I think North Face, if you get the right one. I wear their glove LINERS and in my area, they're warm by themselves.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:43 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Here's the jacket I'm coveting. Not sure of your price range, but this isn't too bad for what you get, in my opinion.

https://www.thewarmingstore.com/oror...ed-jacket.html

Old 10-25-2018, 12:29 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
If you want a truly warm jacket, go for down real cold country jackets.

https://www.moosejaw.com/search/womens_down-jackets

https://www.columbia.com/womens-jack...sulated-coats/

Old 10-25-2018, 01:13 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Canada Goose down jackets are supposed to be extremely warm. However, they are pricey.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:31 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Good thing I live in the south now cause im allergic to feathers anything and down anything LOL . Im still trying to find something decent that does not make me itch like crazy and leave welts . I love the sweaters that feel like old bathrobes . I have to get a hoodie and a cardigan sweater and I m just now in the process of looking and have not had much luck . don't think me weird but when I lived in ohio I had a mans coat and it was wonderfully warm you might consider getting something in the mens dept . Good luck whatever you decide .

Old 10-25-2018, 07:01 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, if your coat "fell apart" after 5 years of usage, for chrissakes don't buy that one again.

I currently live in New England. My Bean's heavy coat is pretty much like new after 12 years. Just quit fiddling around, go to the LL Bean catalog, observe their temperature ratings, and buy yourself a coat of appropriate heaviness.

Second, if you are cold, PUT ON A HAT. Preferably wool.

Third, you can stay a lot more comfortable if you use layers of clothing rather than one single heavy coat. Again, thin wool is the best. Remember, COTTON KILLS.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:20 AM

765 posts, read 473,178 times
a down vest under any coat works wonders

Old 10-25-2018, 07:42 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I live in Texas but recently got a job involving me working in Arctic Alaska. I did a lot of research searching for "the perfect coat." Remember, you not only need a coat to keep you warm, but one that keeps you dry. So I recommend you search for a coat that is water resistant, if not waterproof. The warmest coat in the world does you no good if you get wet because you'll get freezing cold fast.

Technology has done much to improve all facets of our lives, including coats. So super warm ones have also gotten way lighter in weight. Personally I prefer a longer coat that keeps my thighs warm but some people dislike that due to a slightly constricted feel. Don't eliminate men's jackets from consideration either. Oftentimes they are better quality as women's coats are often more fashion oriented, while men's are made for utility.

Speaking of utility, consider the activities you'll be doing in the coat, as well as typical winter weather patterns in your area. Will you be skiing? Commuting? Hunting? Working outdoors all day? And what is the exact climate? Do you encounter heavy snow? Sleet? Cold desert conditions? Wind? What you do and the typical weather affects the brand that is best for you.

What is your budget? Since you'll be wearing the coat frequently through many seasons, you don't want to skimp on price too much. Saving money now does you no good if you just have to keep buying coats because of poor quality, and poor quality ones don't keep you as warm. But you can save a lot of money, no matter what coat you choose, by purchasing through an outlet store, online, on Facebook, buying a used jacket, or getting last year's model.

I bought last years model new with tags on ebay for $250 and saved $500 off retail! It is now marked down on the Columbia website also. If you sign up for their emails, you can get a 25% off coupon. I already tried it and it works as advertised. Here is a link to it if you are interested. It is the ultimate coat for arctic, wet weather, and I looked at literally thousands of coats. They aren't cheap, as you know.

https://www.columbia.com/womens-outd...ize=48&start=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty