Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 08:33 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,674 times

Advertisements

Don't care. But possibly slight preference to polish. More to a gal than paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 08:46 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Chipped, worn off nail polish is a complete turn off.

nothing > clear coat > fresh colored coat > chipped, flaking mess
You remove the old coat with acetone before applying a new coat. The acetone is not good for salon workers because they are exposed to it all week long, but as far as I can tell infrequent exposure is not likely to cause harm. Some people are sensitive to chemicals so they should not use nail polish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
I do it for many reasons but the main reasons is because my nails look so much better when the salon makes them all a uniform length and there are hundreds of colors to choose from. It's fun and looks good!
Now that's a good reason to have your nails done, because I imagine practically anybody likes to see nice, evenly trimmed nails on men or women.

For men: don't think you men get a free pass to have poorly groomed nails. Either gender, having clean and trimmed to a pleasing, equal length nails looks healthy and women appreciate men who have good grooming habits. I keep trimmers and an emery board not only in my bathroom but also where I usually sit in my den, because I tend to forget or postpone and having the equipment nearby encourages me to keep my nails neat and clean.

I also keep a little bottle of coconut oil around and put a little on any broken cuticles I find. The coconut oil moistens your cuticles and allows them to heal.

A lot about beauty (both men's and women's) is about youthfulness or appearing youthful. We all had nice cuticles (and teeth gums) when we were young. Taking care of ourselves as we age helps us retain a young, healthy appearance. 'Healthy' is attractive no matter what age, so any health or body care habits you maintain that make you look younger and healthier is a turn-on for both sexes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Not me....I do NOT want to see most women now-a-says with clothes, let alone without! I want to go back to the eighties not the two-eighties!
What does 'now-a-says' mean? And sorry, but your 'two-eighties' humor (?) went over my head.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:12 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I've never worn nail polish in my life. No guy has ever complained or even mentioned it.
Yeah. This. I also cut my fingernails really short because it drives me crazy to have fingernails past my fingertips. For some reason, I hate the feel of nail polish on my fingernails. It feels weird to me. Hasn't stopped my love life!

I think women care more about these things.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:19 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Women wear nail polish? Why?
Without it, they look unkempt. At least French manicure. Women who run around with yellowed nails are unsightly.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:49 PM

82 posts, read 78,974 times
Yes they do. Men have always complimented me on my bright red nails.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:44 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
This heathen doesn't care about nail polish, hair color, plucked eyebrows, shaved expanses, or stylish shoes. Back in my hippie days, if she wore matching work boots, that was a good sign. Of course, that's before I lost my hair, fortune, physique, with parts falling off and no longer under warranty.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
This heathen doesn't care about nail polish, hair color, plucked eyebrows, shaved expanses, or stylish shoes. Back in my hippie days, if she wore matching work boots, that was a good sign. Of course, that's before I lost my hair, fortune, physique, with parts falling off and no longer under warranty.
Your post was amusing in a subtle way.

I gather that these days your selection criteria are, 1.) Your preferred gender. 2.) See #1.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:56 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
My suggestion to women:

Take the money you spend on having your nails done and join a gym. You could probably afford a nice gym membership and personal trainer for how much you spend on your nails every month.

You may not get as many compliments but that is because most guys try to be politically correct and don't compliment women on having a nice butt.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:29 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Yeah. This. I also cut my fingernails really short because it drives me crazy to have fingernails past my fingertips. For some reason, I hate the feel of nail polish on my fingernails. It feels weird to me. Hasn't stopped my love life!

I think women care more about these things.
OK, I said that a few days ago. Yesterday, my husband said something about nail polish when we were at the store when I was looking at other things. He might like nail polish, but he's never said a word about it in our 23 years of marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Without it, they look unkempt. At least French manicure. Women who run around with yellowed nails are unsightly.
My nails aren't yellowed I don't look unkempt without my nails polished, but I don't look extra accessorized, either.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Take the money you spend on having your nails done and join a gym. You could probably afford a nice gym membership and personal trainer for how much you spend on your nails every month.
I think you have it wrong. There are plenty of women who both have their nails done AND workout at the gym. But I expect most of them don't have those long acrylics. Too impractical even for yoga or Zumba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
My nails aren't yellowed I don't look unkempt without my nails polished, but I don't look extra accessorized, either.
I noted that earlier and thought the same thing. I don't see hardly any difference in my nails between now, and when I was a youth. My cuticles aren't as good but occasional application of coconut oil moisturizes them and makes them look youthful again. It's just that I didn't need the CO when I was young. I started that only recently. (For perspective, I'm a man.)

Actually my preference in women, just keep your nails nicely groomed and evenly shaped, and a bit of clear polish or a nude color to complete the healthy look. It's also fine with me for women to look a bit more feminine and wear their nails a bit more pointed than men, but not a if they are long. I just strive for a rounded symmetry and even length in my own nails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty