Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 03:46 PM

908 posts, read 960,498 times

Advertisements

I have a friend very much into beauty (make up artist). I met her online first and every pic is just gorgeous. Recently I met her in real life and she's very pretty but now I realize pics were clearly photoshopped to make her look better/younger. I notice a lot of people do this. I admit i'm tempted as well but I'd feel a little odd to not look like my picture. Is this now normal -- to put filters and photoshop so much to subtract 10 years and look perfect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 03:53 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
I know someone who posts almost nothing except head and torso shots of herself at her Instagram account, and all or the vast majority appear to have used filters. I think it's weird to post nothing except mostly head & torso shots of oneself repeatedly - and then to use filters compounds the weirdness - seems narcissistically bizarre.

She does it to garner comments about how good looking she is repeatedly. I didn't really know that lots of other people are doing this - using filters - for their social media pics - but now I know from reading your post, OP.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
I have a friend very much into beauty (make up artist). I met her online first and every pic is just gorgeous. Recently I met her in real life and she's very pretty but now I realize pics were clearly photoshopped to make her look better/younger. I notice a lot of people do this. I admit i'm tempted as well but I'd feel a little odd to not look like my picture. Is this now normal -- to put filters and photoshop so much to subtract 10 years and look perfect?
My dad was an award-winning professional portrait photographer, and these people aren't really doing anything different than the retouching that was so common back in his day; they're just using their computers to do it themselves now.

Dressing up a profile pic a little, I have no problem with. I do wonder about people who post so many doctored photos of themselves, though. As already pointed out, it seems pretty narcissistic.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:23 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
It's common but it's not a good idea to have ONLY filtered pix.

My other least favorite move is when someone will only have photos of themselves taken at precisely the same angle. It's weird to see photo after photo of them in different outfits but posing in the exact same way.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
I can think of quite a few people who look so different in real life. I am sometimes a little jealous that my oics never look so good. But I don’t retouch so basically my pics look like me. :P

Recently someone took a photo of my and did the perfect black and white filter. It was so good - I need to learn her tricks - for special ocassions.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:19 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
I see many, many people doing this. I know what they look like in real life (and this isn't it) but they love to post highly doctored photos of themselves on Social Media and garner all sorts of compliments. I never do this, and my photos look worse than I actually do most of the time. I prefer it this way..... you know, lowered expectations.....

Old 11-19-2018, 11:46 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,167 times
If it is obvious on others, then it can inspire us to not do it ourselves! I see so many fb photos that are shopped and the likes and compliments come pouring in. Friends know and provide the compliments because they know that was what was being fished for, so it is better to just be ourselves.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:02 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,255 times
Many people use filters. Some people use the Facetune app to photoshop. I just assume everything is edited to some extent.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:24 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,200 times
Many of my wife's friends I see photos of online are clearly heavily filtered. Appears that every woman does this from what I've seen.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:42 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
I don't even know how to doctor my own photos. On my social media, its all me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty