Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 01:26 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
It's not just longer hair that is acceptable now...thinking of those that shave their head bald and how common that is now.

We are more forgiving now of younger adults who wear half shaved/half not shaved hair, Mohawks, and that weird one cops do, shaving on the sides but longer on top. (not flattering to me).

Now multiple colors are popular.

So seems we are accepting just about anything. Which is a good thing.
well, anything but mullets of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 01:39 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,305,550 times
Quote:
It's not just longer hair that is acceptable now...thinking of those that shave their head bald and how common that is now.

We are more forgiving now of younger adults who wear half shaved/half not shaved hair, Mohawks, and that weird one cops do, shaving on the sides but longer on top. (not flattering to me).

Don't get me started with emo and goth styled young people who color their hair dark and blue or purple.

I see plenty of such youth with hair like that working in those simulated Haunted attractions back in October.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:41 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times
Quote:

This is more Marines than cops, if we are talking about the same cut - a "High and Tight" - the sides are buzzed, but the hair on top of the head is long enough that you can't see the scalp (and probably the scalp is not so subject to sunburn when hatless) - what can I say, some guys look good in this, some don't. My head shape is such that I don't like how it looks on me. It is a practical haircut for a warrior, as it does not afford an opponent enough hair to grab, in a hand-to-hand situation.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:53 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This is more Marines than cops, if we are talking about the same cut - a "High and Tight" - the sides are buzzed, but the hair on top of the head is long enough that you can't see the scalp (and probably the scalp is not so subject to sunburn when hatless) - what can I say, some guys look good in this, some don't. My head shape is such that I don't like how it looks on me. It is a practical haircut for a warrior, as it does not afford an opponent enough hair to grab, in a hand-to-hand situation.
Well, glad to know there is a reason.

The cops in my area wear this cut or bald. Guess they took it from Marines.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:10 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times
Quote:
Well, glad to know there is a reason.

The cops in my area wear this cut or bald. Guess they took it from Marines.

Or, in NC, from Army Airborne.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:14 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,959,833 times
what the OP considers "short" or "long" might be different.
short to me means: no comb needed.
long means: conditioner needed.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:20 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidinMyrtle View Post
I don’t know I don’t see too many guys with long hair anymore. Everyone balds their head or has some short cut. Lol I wish long hair would make a comeback.
I had to check the date on this thread, to make sure it was contemporary. Long hair made a comeback years ago; now, though, they typically wear it up in a bun, rather than down in a ponytail or straight. Bald is still "in" because some guys have no choice but to do bald. The fact that it was, and to some extent, still is "in" is a godsend for guys with thinning or balding hair. But some of the guys who can grow a decent long head of hair are doing so.

And then, there are those pockets around the country, where long hair for men never went out of style. Certain college and beach towns, like Santa Cruz, CA, and last bastions of hippiedom, like Taos, NM.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:22 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times
It's a cyclical thing. Short hair was de rigeur in the 1950s and then longer hair for men came into style in the 1960s through the 1980s.

Shorter hair came back into style.for a while but it goes through cycles.

Connected to longer hair is increasing acceptance and popularity of facial hair, when in professional environments.

Early in my career, facial hair was frowned upon at my job but today it is acceptable and more common than not.

More causal dress is also connected with this trend.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
It appears these days one out of seven guys out in public have hair longer than 3 inches. And one out of 14 guys have hair down to his collars and chin. I remember as late as in the 1990s if a boy had long hair or even just hair longer than 3 inches, kids around him would make fun of him for his hair, similar to 1:09 of this Easy rider movie scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqHddcMUF9, and his parents, relatives, and teachers alike would constantly repeat, "when will you get a haircut?" But these days, or at least since the mid 2000s it longer hair on guys seems much more accepted and even cherished with the peers. Of course not every parent like this trend.

Id be curious what sparked this trend since the mid 2000s. I know that long hair on men was fairly common in human history until around the early 20th century when constant wars drafted men to the military where they get their hair shaved off. And employers and society in general prefers the looks of ex military men for decades after the war.

I haven't been in a school in a while though I would like to ask how many boys in your kid's school have longer hair?

Or if you yourself are still in school/college/Uni, how many of your classmates who are guys have hair longer than 3 inches?
This is not my memory of the 90's at all. Grunge, anyone?

Old 11-28-2018, 08:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Good example, Ironically despite that most men in the Bible era including those who wrote the Bible look like that with shoulder length hair and often facial hair. It appears modern day or 20th century Christians seem to strongly frown upon it and believe mens hair should be shorter than 2 inches and thinly groomed, and not have facial hair. It just seems socially unacceptable in church for devoted believers and often disallowed for those in serving positions, or those attending or teaching Christian schools/colleges.
Not the ones I know. I don't know anyone besides my mom who places much importance on hair length. I think you are making a lot of generalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty