Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 11:35 PM

3 posts, read 1,701 times

Advertisements

Men's clothing hasn't changed a lot from the '90s and early 2000s. What changed in men's fashion is sunglasses which come in unique, classic and trending design. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-14-2018 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Advertising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 08:11 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Go look at sitcom casts over the years. If you think that the cast of Friends or Seinfeld etc. from the early 90s matches up with men's style from the early 2000s or men's style now then we are obviously looking at fashion from a very, very different lens.

90s fashion to me is just as distinguishable from 80s or 70s or 60s. I am guessing most people that are saying they haven't seen fashion change much since the 90s were at least in college in the 90s. A lot of guys tend to settle-in style wise in their mid-20s, especially if they marry and have a family. Once again, these are broad stroke generalities so there will always be exceptions.

But when I look at the cast of friends, full house, seinfeld etc. and compare them to a sitcom today, the clothing and fashion is night and day.
I agree. Look at what Jerry Seinfeld wore in his show (especially earlier seasons) compared with what Joey in Friends wore. Very Different.

It seems that major changes in style only happen every couple centuries. By major, I'm talking the move from breeches to trousers, etc...And the more formal the dress, the slower it is...See Look at White Tie compared to a Tuxedo compared to a Suit.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:01 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I noticed I am wearing similar clothes to what I wore in the 1990's and I don't stand out one bit!

Men's fashion the last two+ decades has stagnated. What is going on?
It changed.

They went slim in the late 2000s and stayed there. But the problem with going slim is that it does not work for everyone. I tried to go there, but I did not like the cut. Plus I am at a place where I don't much care for what anyone thinks.

One thing that did stay with me is that I moved from loose boxer shorts to snug boxer briefs, and that involved moving from 100 percent cotton to synthetics, but for the most part I have went back to what I am doing in the nineties, sort of.

For me clothing now is loose but not baggy, as it was back then. And I don't wear plaid anymore. I'm strictly solids and micropatterns. I'm done with plaid for the foreseeable future. I'm at a nice standard fit.

I don't get the appeal. I think it is generational. How a lot of younger men are dressing the cut is the same thing we did in the early eighties. So going back to that, even with updated fabrics and designs, for me personally is not appealing. And what I was doing in the nineties was ridiculous. A lot of that old Ralph, Tommy, etc is just ugly to me now. So I'm not going to do that either. That was conservative for the sake of being conservative. But it wasn't authentic in that way, it was pretentious because my mindset did not align with how I dressed. It was a contradiction. Plus I don't care if you know what I am wearing, at my age.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:12 AM

OP, if you are seeing nineties fashion among the current generation, say young men aged anywhere from adolescence to thirty something, it is not the same stuff we wore back in the nineties and it is not the same cut. This is evolved, with better materials we had then.

The magazines are also predicting a new wave of baggy fashion that isn't anything like what we did back in the nineties.

Check out this article. I won't post the images directly because I don't own them. But this is what is on the horizon.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:29 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
One thing is that some higher-end brands are trying to push slim fit clothes down our throats. That is why I stick with the brands that I trust and I know won't alienate their target audience. I have stocked up a lot the past three years on styles that I like and I think I am good for now.
I tell my wife this all the time. I still dress just a little "baggy," because I can't STAND how so many designers are trying to force men to wear super tight "slim" fit clothes, especially for those of us who are not exactly slim.

I see a lot of regular sized/medium build guys walking around these days with pants, shirts, and jackets so tight that you wonder how they can even BREATHE. So if buying some lesser known or lower cost brands that will give me and my "man parts" a little breathing room is "too baggy" or "too 90s" to some folks these days, then so be it. At least "the boys" can breathe and won't feel like they are being gripped in a vice.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:35 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
I tell my wife this all the time. I still dress just a little "baggy," because I can't STAND how so many designers are trying to force men to wear super tight "slim" fit clothes, especially for those of us who are not exactly slim.

I see a lot of regular sized/medium build guys walking around these days with pants, shirts, and jackets so tight that you wonder how they can even BREATHE. So if buying some lesser known or lower cost brands that will give me and my "man parts" a little breathing room is "too baggy" or "too 90s" to some folks these days, then so be it. At least "the boys" can breathe and won't feel like they are being gripped in a vice.
I actually wonder if this is paying off for the brands that continue to promote their regular, classic, and big and tall collections. With PVH's brands, Calvin Klein has shown a slowdown in growth the past quarter, while the Heritage Brands division (which includes IZOD) is finally showing increased growth after years of declines.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:51 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
The problem I see is they expect the average male to be 150lbs, 5'10", a size 30-32 waist. Yet when I go to the store you see loads of these sizes still on the shelf while the 34/36's are all but gone or slim pickings. It's my own observation but lately the change in my wardrobe has been pretty drastic in trying to find quality clothing with the right fit.
EXACTLY!!! It's frustrating!!! I really hope this "slim fit" (aka 2-3 sizes too small) craze dies out SOON!!!

Old 08-10-2019, 08:48 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
I think it depends on your age. My boys are in their early 30's, one is super metrosexual and always looks like he stepped of the pages of GQ with his clothes & shoes. The other one not so much but they both wear skinny jeans these days which wasn't around in the 90's. Suits are more tailored with straighter legs also. Even shirts now have slim and super slim cuts which I think is fairly new to the last 10-15 years. Have no idea what width ties are in these days since you don't see many men in my area wearing ties to work anymore.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:52 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
OP, if you are seeing nineties fashion among the current generation, say young men aged anywhere from adolescence to thirty something, it is not the same stuff we wore back in the nineties and it is not the same cut. This is evolved, with better materials we had then.

The magazines are also predicting a new wave of baggy fashion that isn't anything like what we did back in the nineties.

Check out this article. I won't post the images directly because I don't own them. But this is what is on the horizon.

I hate just about everything they are showing on that link. Looks like little boys wearing their father's clothes. I do like the padded shoulders on a man's suit. Makes him look very masculine.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:54 AM

Fashion does not spark the same movements that it used to, and the internet has a lot to do with that. There could be several different movements going on simultaneously.

People are just doing whatever they want to do now. The skinny thing worked because it was the last hurrah of old media. These days people are checking out blogs, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc. No one really cares about a GQ, Esquire, Vogue or Cosmopolitan these days. That stuff was when we were teenagers. So you can't just throw money at people to push trends these days you have to be far more creative. I doubt we'll see ever see anything like the phenomenon Ralph Lauren was in the 90s again. That was the end of an era.

I think they backed themselves into a corner with this skinny thing. No way to undo what has already been done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty