Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 09:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be fun to play a game inspired by DID - desert island disks. A local record store chain used to have this feature in their magazine, I had no idea there was a show.

The rules: you can pick clothing, jewelry or accessories. Pick something and explain why it reflects your style. If there is an item you don’t have yet, but you think is reflective of your style, include it too.

Also, add links or pics as you see fit.

This probably works best if you have a style aesthetic or aspiration - I’m not looking for commentary like fashion is for lemmings.

I’ll post mine in a separate post.

Go and have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 10:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
This list is a hard one to make.

My style is somewhat classic, somewhat edgy, somewhat urban and somewhat polished. I think comfort is important, and I don't want to be overdressed in my environment, so I add a casual element. I wear flats almost always. And sometimes sneakers.

I'm somewhere between preppy and classic in my choices. I always, always, always wanted to dress like a lady who lunches. Or Jackie O. But in reality, as much as I loved so many of those ideas. It was a little too boring for me. And as my style evolved, I realized I wanted those things. But I needed to put my own spin on them. I like the idea of athleisure, but head to toe is too casual for me, so I mix in a little with dressier items.

And that is how you get to my list. I aim to give off a vibe of classic, put together, interesting and ready for anything.

I'll break it out into some categories:

Shoes
  • Snakeskin booties - whenever I am wearing a boring outfit, I put on these shoes. They are interesting, unexpected and comfy. These are also one of my splurges in my closet.

Jewelry
  • Interesting Hoop Earrings - I have quite a few weird hoops as I call them. Couldn't find a pic of my favorite pair, so here is my second favorite. They are statement, but not too statement. And really versatile. I also do not like delicate jewelry. I like something a little bigger and architectural.

Clothes
  • Greyscale leopard t-shirt dress - this is similar to the dress I have. I wear mine often, it works casual or dressed up and is super comfortable. I like bold patterns and colors. I also like timeless items. And things with a touch of casual. This hits all of my buttons.
  • Dark Pink Cardigan - for me, this is a staple. While I like colors and patterns, I can't always find one I like. So I end up getting a lot of black and white patterns - stripes, polka dots, herringbone and so on. This is a way to add a pop of color. And I also get a lot of pink patterns - so it still works. I wouldn't call pink a neutral, but it is a staple for me!
  • Floral Boyfriend Blazer - I purchased one of these on a whim. I wanted to jump on a trend. And it turned into a staple. It is just really fun. And is girl and whimsical. And unexpected.
  • Black/White Graphic Patterned Knit Dress - If I had one thing that screams Jade - it is a black and white (or cream) dress. I have enough to wear for probably 2 weeks. Every shape, every season. Add a pink cardigan, and flats and my outfit is done.
  • Zip legged ponte ankle pants - So while I don't love 80s and 90s fashion - these are like my dream combination or my favorites of that decade. Zip leg, comfy wrinkle resistant Ponte. These pants feel like leggings but are way more polished. My kind of work pants - a little edgy. A little casual. I have this pair now. And I had a very similar pair a few years ago. I like skinny pants and ankle length - because its like a big arrow for your interesting shoes. And I love shoes!
  • Blazer bomber - I have spent my entire adult life trying to find a blazer that isn't too stuff, too basis or too formal. I was always one of those people who really really aspired to getting those top 10 wardrobe staples down. And this was the one I could never seem to find. I didn't need a suit for work. But I always, always had these prim lady who lunches style goals.

Accessories
  • Coach Swagger Chain Crossbody Purse - I've had 2 aspirational purses - before I had a concept of money. Hermes Kelly - structured and classic. And a Chanel Flap Bag - classy, elegant and day to night. And while these bags are no longer my aspirations - directly at least....due to both price and ubiquity - they have elements I love. Structure. Chains. Timeless. And this bag is one of my favorites I have. I don't think Coach made many - I have never seen one in the wild. It was out of my box, as it has a lot of embellishment. But while it is a little busy, it is a neutral. And it is interesting. And at the same time it doesn't scream Coach. And I also love it, because it feels very luxe. It is my little secret that is is lined in a really soft leather. I like undercover luxury - and for me a leather lining is one of those undercover things. I love this bag because I think it is interesting and classy and edgy at the same time. Just the impression I am trying to give off.
  • Black and White Scarf - I want to be a scarf person. And I just didn't get it. So this is on my list, because I aspire to make scarves one of my signatures. It hasn't happened yet. But I do love this scarf, and it is soft and cozy, and saves me on a rare solid color day from being pattern free.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:19 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Camel hair RL blazer
Frye Boots
Jeans
Cashmere sweaters
Clogs

Old 12-03-2018, 09:35 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
There is me that I wish I am (cool, hip, fashionable, always on point, put together, classic, evergreen with just a little bit of swag, fancy. The type that demands attention). Then there is the real me (slob, not coordinated, my outfits are never thought out and color/size don't always fit correctly, always shopping at clearance even if I have money which means things are not well matched, hardly ever classic).

But I am learning and getting better, slow process but getting there. few pieces that I love & is so me

1. Delicate, fine jewelry - pearl necklace, my diamond/sapphire engagement ring (he choose the perfect combination of new&old with hint of color), my black gem stone ring & Neil Lane earring. These are small, relatively expensive but classy. I do feel my best in them. Never under dressed or over dressed, perfect for all events
  2. Fun custom jewelry - I have tried fun hoops and statement necklace. I love those when the mood hits but often get over them soon after. The only real custom jewelry I love is Indian Jhumka earring. The little bit of ethnic
  3. flux Leather Jacket - fake leather because I am too chicken to buy real leather especially with my weight always fluctuating. But I love the tough chick look that short leather jacket gives.
  4. Boots, Knee high boots, more boots for fall -
  5. Maxi dress - I have a purple and green full of color maxi dress that I love. Pretty but tough, class with bit of madness is the look
  6. Navy blue with pink print pleasant top. I have always loved boho chick look
  7. plum Ponte knit pants, actually I love all ponte pants, ankle length. Casual, sexy, comfortable
  8. Fit bit like watch - can't go anywhere without this, gave up on all watch since I got this. It is a cheaper version of fit bit. Makes me feel productive/active
  9. Scarf - love all kind of scarf, especially blanket scarf for fall. Thin silky scarf for spring, cozy & modest, covers lump and bump I don't want to show
  10. Vera Bradley wallet - love the fun color especially when it is inside boring black/brown purse.
So there is my personality: boho, classic, active, cozy, modest, ethnic, tough, colorful

Old 12-03-2018, 01:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Flannel workshirt from Duluth Trading. I use it when I work, especially outside. It is functional, and I thrifted it.

Lace up booties by Dansko. I love these with jeans, and they are comfy.

Pink jeans from Land End. I hate pink, but these are a nice light pink, and they fit well.

Black hooded scuba style raincoat by Pendleton. For some reason, I feel sort of cool when I wear it.

My open Aetrex sandals. The most comfortable sandals I have ever owned, and they look pretty.

Crossover bag in a multicolor print on durable fabric by Fossil—the Morgan Traveler. It has many pockets and its strap is functional and comfy.

Wool cadet cap handmade of recycled woolen fabrics. It works well even in light rain.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:37 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Hmmm, my style? Everyone says classic, but I really go for old fashioned silhouettes, natural fabrics (silk, wool, cotton), and I get most of my clothing tailored after I buy it.

1. Rectangular 11 kt aquamarine pendant set in platinum. This was originally a ring my grandmother's mom brought with her from Russia, I had it remade as the ring was huge and art deco. I wear it every day. My grandmother gave it to me when I graduated grad school with my oceanography degree as she said aquamarine is good luck for those around the water.

2. Bean boots. The two I wear most are navy or a newer pair that is teal, gray and black. I am from Martha's Vineyard, prep is in the dna. I like many prep items but in less traditional colors. Plus they last forever. I would much rather have fewer items in better quality.

3. Cobalt blue tieks. I am tall enough already and despise everything about high heels. Most of my clothes are neutral of blue. These last forever if you take care of them.

4. Levis. I like a classic. A little bit of stretch, slim leg.

5. Chanel trousers. I have them in black and a taupe like color. I wear these with a silk blouse when I need to dress up. I don't really wear dresses, and never to work.

6. Grey cashmere crewneck. Classic but functional. One of the few items I wear with both my field and office clothes.

7. Apple watch. I am a mac addict.

8. Coach Laila in Grey Mint. This is my all time favorite bag. I have about 5 that rotate through, and then I will do the ebay catch and release when I want something new. This one tho, I will keep forever. In fact I may buy a second one when I find her.

9. Science themed tshirts. I have a bunch. I wear them regularly in the lab.

10. Striped sweater and a slightly puffy vest. This is a twofer but I always wear them together. Again, new england prep school leftovers.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:50 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
1. Modern/trendy/unique silver jewelry...NO goldtone! I wear them all: Earrings, rings, bracelet, necklace

2. Dark, bootcut jeans in basic colors and some colors too for fun

3. Colorful, chunky sweaters & cardigans

4. Leather bag

5. Leather boots...either ankle or knee hight

6. Modern watches in silver or colors, preferably w/ no #s...I like the look of that

7. Turtleneck tops that are comfy & on the looser side - I've always found them nice & cozy

8. Sunglass - I tend to like the oversized, frames & aviators

9. Tops that are modern, trendy in great jewel-toned or bright colors, but I also LOVE black & grey too

10. This isn't in the closet, but a nice, bold lipstick in a metallic fuschia, berry, purple color!

Old 12-04-2018, 08:38 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Shoes: Running shoes, gym shoes (for gym), orthopedic sandals for work (wear with same colored socks in the winter time to look like shoes) - comfort - don't like feet to sweat - I don't care what people think about my shoes - want to be comfy at work for 8 hours, when I was younger I wore excruciating styles

Tops: 3 of each of the same style (something that worked so bought in 3 colors) many of these

Pants: Polyester PJ Pants in black, navy blue, grey and purple - put a nice top over them and these are great for work. You can wear your jammies to work, a professional top or jacket and sit in a meeting with the uppers at the same time and fit right in.
Have comfy leggings to wear longer tops over sometimes when uppers aren't in the area.

Wedding Ring - solid band so the bars on the weights in the gym don't snap off any diamonds if it flips around. I can wear my ring always and not have to take it on and off all the time.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:50 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Here are some that I can list.

1. Performance/pique hybrid polo shirts in several colors, including several in pink.
2. Spring interlock polo shirts, including a nice pink one.
3. Fall pullover fleeces, including some pink ones.
4. A pink zip hoodie.
5. Pink Oxford shorts.
6. Pink pajama pants.
7. Pink Oxford button-down shirts.
8. Pink natural stretch poplin button-down shirts.
9. Blue relaxed stretch jeans.
10. Black and navy stretch dress pants.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:54 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Hmmm, my style? Everyone says classic, but I really go for old fashioned silhouettes, natural fabrics (silk, wool, cotton), and I get most of my clothing tailored after I buy it.

1. Rectangular 11 kt aquamarine pendant set in platinum. This was originally a ring my grandmother's mom brought with her from Russia, I had it remade as the ring was huge and art deco. I wear it every day. My grandmother gave it to me when I graduated grad school with my oceanography degree as she said aquamarine is good luck for those around the water.

2. Bean boots. The two I wear most are navy or a newer pair that is teal, gray and black. I am from Martha's Vineyard, prep is in the dna. I like many prep items but in less traditional colors. Plus they last forever. I would much rather have fewer items in better quality.

3. Cobalt blue tieks. I am tall enough already and despise everything about high heels. Most of my clothes are neutral of blue. These last forever if you take care of them.

4. Levis. I like a classic. A little bit of stretch, slim leg.

5. Chanel trousers. I have them in black and a taupe like color. I wear these with a silk blouse when I need to dress up. I don't really wear dresses, and never to work.

6. Grey cashmere crewneck. Classic but functional. One of the few items I wear with both my field and office clothes.

7. Apple watch. I am a mac addict.

8. Coach Laila in Grey Mint. This is my all time favorite bag. I have about 5 that rotate through, and then I will do the ebay catch and release when I want something new. This one tho, I will keep forever. In fact I may buy a second one when I find her.

9. Science themed tshirts. I have a bunch. I wear them regularly in the lab.

10. Striped sweater and a slightly puffy vest. This is a twofer but I always wear them together. Again, new england prep school leftovers.
I love your style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty