Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:28 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times

Advertisements

While I mostly buy in the mid-range segment myself, I wonder, how often do you receive premium or luxury fashion items as gifts?

I have a pink Tommy Hilfiger pique polo that my aunt from Virginia gave to me as a gift, and I just recently got a pink long sleeve Vineyard Vines T-shirt from my aunt from Puerto Rico for my birthday. I plan to take the latter with me to Puerto Rico for my Christmas vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 12:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Ha ha. Never!

But I’m glad for you, PJ. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:19 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
never.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:35 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
Never. People I know aren't much into flashy labels.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I got all of my Hermes from my grandmother and a few pieces (scarves and belt) from my BFF.

So all of my Hermes was given to me.

My husband gave me a Henri Bendel handbag for my birthday this year.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:45 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
While I mostly buy in the mid-range segment myself, I wonder, how often do you receive premium or luxury fashion items as gifts?

I have a pink Tommy Hilfiger pique polo that my aunt from Virginia gave to me as a gift, and I just recently got a pink long sleeve Vineyard Vines T-shirt from my aunt from Puerto Rico for my birthday. I plan to take the latter with me to Puerto Rico for my Christmas vacation.
Not often.

It depends what you consider luxury fashion.

Banana and Macys are mid-range to me, so luxury would be Nordstrom and Brooks Brothers.

I think the label argument is funny. While I would never say or show off that I got this shirt or pant at this particular store, certain stores & labels just consistently have the style I'm looking for and certain labels produce higher quality goods.

H&M for instance just has really low quality stuff IMO. It's pretty uncomfortable and always falls apart.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:25 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Sometimes, I do receive luxury fashion and accessories as gifts, mostly from my parents, aside from those that I inherited. I agree that, for me, it's not the label, but the material and quality, such that I know that the Kiton coats that I have been given as gifts from my mother will last for a lifetime.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-21-2018, 12:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Never. My family doesn’t really gift. And no one really cares about brands. I probably care the most but I am more about the undercover luxury stuff.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:37 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post

This is rare, IMO. Your relatives clearly know what you like, which is nice, and I suspect that at least one of the items was found on sale or clearance. Nothing wrong with that. I'm assuming your aunt in VA can't normally afford spendy gifts, but maybe she can.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:05 PM

314 posts, read 237,212 times
It depends what you think luxury brand is. To me it’s LV, Tom Ford, Hermès , Ted Baker, BurberryGucci and the like. These items my SO pretty much just get for each other or if I find them on sale get them either for work or when we go on vacation. We usually get the expensive one item things for our birthdays. This year I got a large LV bag and he got an Hermès belt with other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty