Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2018, 03:18 PM

265 posts, read 155,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
My Timex tells time just as well as your Rolex.

Of course now with a clock on every cell phone I don't even need to wear a watch
Yea but it is not as convenient as having a watch. You have to dig into your pocket every time you want to know the time. When I didn't wear a watch I never thought much of it. But when I went to drop off my watch to get it fixed I noticed it is a pain. Also my watches #1 feature is that i can check time frequently getting ready for work

By the by the watch is a gucci which i bought on ebay for 75 dollars .. unless it costs anything less than 100 bucks to fix it is out.

I have no plans to buy a rolex soon and unless i win the lotto I doubt i will ever own one. Some of my cars have cost less than a rolex and and they were not that cheap a car. So does an international trip with 4 star hotels. My gucci, my seiko and my tommy bahama all look nice and tell the time. So does a Rolex.

Incidentally to the types "oh a $500 dollar car does the same thing a Ferrari does, so why aren't we all just driving $500 cars." No it does not. A 500 dollar car or any cheap car like that is that cheap for a reason. It will get you to work if you have a couple of people ready to push the car around where you want to go when it breaks down, and will most likely need expensive repairs soon to be safe and reliable. A timex or other cheapie quartz watch works fine right out the box and tells time.

Last edited by Raise_the_Black_Flag; 12-29-2018 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 05:22 AM

827 posts, read 660,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Tudor also had blue Subs that are all stainless, unlike the two-tone Rolexes, which are too flashy for my tastes.
I never knew Rolex made anything that wasn't under the Rolex name. I wonder why it's not called Rolex unless it's not the real deal.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:23 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
I never knew Rolex made anything that wasn't under the Rolex name. I wonder why it's not called Rolex unless it's not the real deal.
There are even fake Tudors. Anyway, they are usually similar to the various Rolex models but they don't have that "extra" work that goes into the making of a Rolex. I still think they are overpriced though.

I guess you could compare Rolex to Grand Seiko. And compare Tudor to Seiko. But the Seikos are still less expensive. Tudor and Grand Seiko have a lot of respect in the luxury watch community, in case anyone reading is the type of person looking for respect from those particular people.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:53 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,683 times
Quote:
There is a thread Do (Women Like their Rolex)So let's start this one about men.

So what do you men think about your Rolex and the one you own? If you don't have Rolex do you want one our thinking about buying a Rolex?

Merry Christmas
And happy New Year
I bought mine in 1984, fantastic watch. I love the look, the weight and feel are second to none, in my opinion. Its probably more of a fashion accessory these days lol. My second favorite is a Swiss Army, Officers model, self winding.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Here's something else that you could get as a Tudor that you couldn't get as a Rolex... an automatic chronograph.
https://www.chrono24.com/tudor/rolex...-id9918197.htm
Before Rolex introduced their in-house Caliber 4130 movement, Daytonas were wind-em-ups.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:55 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times
Speaking of Grand Seikos, they take a mechanical movement and govern it with a quartz crystal so instead of losing a minute or more a month it is just off by 15 seconds a month. Create a super complicated and expensive hybrid power source that is still nowhere near as accurate as a cheap quartz watch yet has the expensive service requirements of a mechanical.
I once owned a Seiko kinetic that was supposed to keep the battery charged but the capacitor failed after 3 years. I replaced it for $15 and a half hour later I ended up with a capacitor that lasted another 3 years before failing. At this point I chucked the watch into the garbage. Seiko kinetic is about the most worthless technology in watches ever invented, especially now when quartz batteries last 10 years, cost $3 and take 2 minutes to replace. This sort of technology for the sake of technology reminds me of their silly spring drive system.

Last edited by duke944; 12-30-2018 at 10:05 AM..

Old 12-30-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Speaking of Grand Seikos, they take a mechanical movement and govern it with a quartz crystal so instead of losing a minute or more a month it is just off by 15 seconds a month. Create a super complicated and expensive hybrid power source that is still nowhere near as accurate as a cheap quartz watch yet has the expensive service requirements of a mechanical.
I once owned a Seiko kinetic that was supposed to keep the battery charged but the capacitor failed after 3 years. I replaced it for $15 and a half hour later I ended up with a capacitor that lasted another 3 years before failing. At this point I chucked the watch into the garbage. Seiko kinetic is about the most worthless technology in watches ever invented, especially now when quartz batteries last 10 years, cost $3 and take 2 minutes to replace. This sort of technology for the sake of technology reminds me of their silly spring drive system.
I never liked Seiko Kinetics due to the short battery/capacitor life.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:21 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
We've discussed the low end and the high end. What's in between a Seiko and a Rolex, preferably closer to the latter? Tissot comes to mind but maybe there are others.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:27 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
We've discussed the low end and the high end. What's in between a Seiko and a Rolex, preferably closer to the latter? Tissot comes to mind but maybe there are others.

there's a whole can of worms being opened with this thread … so many brands, so much marketing, so many price levels (and there are some watches which can be considered as "better" than a Rolex, too. IWC, Patek … come to mind. There are many different opinions as to what makes a watch "better" than another, so we're in for a lot of disparity among watch users/buyer/collectors. It really all comes down to what you value and desire in a watch, we'll not all have the same values, OK?)

my short list for you, from top to bottom (and no doubt, others will chime in with different rankings of these brands, or have other brands that "need" to be mentioned … so be it):

Zenith, Ball, Omega

Ebel, Breitling, Chopard, Panerai, Sinn, Graham, Hublot

Tag Heuer, Tissot, Bulova

Oris, Hamilton, Orient

There's many more which will fit in these rankings … many of which use commonly outsourced movements in the industry, so they are effectively similar to each other when it comes to the timekeeping function. The real choices come down to your preferences in styles, faces, shape of hands, other functions, etc., & price. Bear in mind that there are over a hundred watch brands that are lesser watches than the entry level Seiko's. (on a recent trip to France, I looked around at the mall near the airport … and there were a couple watch boutiques there with many watch brands I'd never seen or heard of before. The business is all about marketing, fancy boxes, and features -- pricing. Some were very inexpensive, some were in or above Rolex territory)

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-31-2018 at 12:21 AM..

Old 12-31-2018, 06:42 AM

I went into one watch store that was filled with mid-level brands. A lot of them were priced up to 4 digits, but they were all being sold at good discounts. Some of them were like their own store brand that I'd never heard of.

I really didn't like the store. I got the feeling that none of these brands were any better than Fossil. They all used the same ETA off the shelf movements. They were equal to Fossil in quality, only priced higher, and they were all lesser than Seiko in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty