Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 04:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
Does anyone know? On the back of my Rolex there is a green sticker like a 25% moon on the edge of the back cover . I have also seen then on pictures of Rolex's anybody know what this green sticker is for?
There is a sticker on the back of every new watch regardless of brand. It will come off with wear, or just peel it off.

Did you buy the watch new or used? It's possible that some Rolex sellers might try to pass off the watch as new by reapplying the sticker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 07:41 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
You do need to be careful where you wear a Rolex at.
I don’t know about that. People don’t really pay attention to watches anymore.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
yea it's a luxury good .. if you're worried about cashing it in after a job loss -- it sounds like you can't afford it. ( I bet most are in the sam boat).

Reads like something right out of the marketing brochure

He also wore a seiko at times. The good enough argument works well for a product like seiko since its inexpensive ...when talking about a 3000+ dollar watch not so much. Besides any celebrity endorsement is also met with other neg endorsements as well: Che Guevara loved his rolex ..the pain in the but guy at work who wears one etc. Not to mention the premise is flawed anyway. James Bond Elvis would be just as cool in his Rolex or Omega and has a lot more disposable income.

Personally I am looking forward to making my own history in my 75 dollar gucci.

3000 dollars for a watch doesn't break the bank :roll eyes:

Having said all that i would wear one at times if i were given one and probably enjoy a high end watch

Anyone who says they never had to worry about where to wear one, doesn't work where I work (and probably lead a sheltered life as well.)
James Bond actually wore a Seiko during the 70's and 80's, replacing the original Rolex. This pretty much proves that Seiko was a more valuable/desired watch during that time.

Rolex has barely even made anything new since the 50's. They are a joke in comparison to a true innovator like Seiko. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:15 AM

827 posts, read 658,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
There is a sticker on the back of every new watch regardless of brand. It will come off with wear, or just peel it off.

Did you buy the watch new or used? It's possible that some Rolex sellers might try to pass off the watch as new by reapplying the sticker.
Bought it new, I have never noticed a green sticker on anyother new watch I have bought.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:00 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Quote:
James Bond actually wore a Seiko during the 70's and 80's, replacing the original Rolex. This pretty much proves that Seiko was a more valuable/desired watch during that time.

Rolex has barely even made anything new since the 50's. They are a joke in comparison to a true innovator like Seiko. It's all smoke and mirrors.
What that proves is that the 007 franchise was caught up in the quartz revolution, when digital watches were the new craze. It certainly doesn't prove they were more valuable or desired, wtf did you come up with that? When I think of 007, I think Rolex and Omega - and I think pretty much everyone else does as well.
Aside from the extensive contributions to the quartz movement, which I agree is one of the biggest advances in watch history, I'm not sure Seiko came up with any innovations that were worthwhile, certainly not their pointless kinetic gimmic - which I think is the biggest joke in watch movement history. They make a solid watch at a reasonable price, they are the Honda of the watch world, but I'd hardly call them innovative. They don't even offer tritium tubes, they still only use lume which is useless after an hour or two in the dark.

Last edited by duke944; 01-05-2019 at 10:09 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
What that proves is that the 007 franchise was caught up in the quartz revolution, when digital watches were the new craze. It certainly doesn't prove they were more valuable or desired, wtf did you come up with that? When I think of 007, I think Rolex and Omega - and I think pretty much everyone else does as well.
Aside from the extensive contributions to the quartz movement, which I agree is one of the biggest advances in watch history, I'm not sure Seiko came up with any innovations that were worthwhile, certainly not their pointless kinetic gimmic - which I think is the biggest joke in watch movement history. They make a solid watch at a reasonable price, they are the Honda of the watch world, but I'd hardly call them innovative. They don't even offer tritium tubes, they still only use lume which is useless after an hour or two in the dark.
They were not just quartz. They have been making mechanical watches since the 1920's. To say that Rolex is somehow greater than Seiko is ridiculous. You have bought into a marketing gimmic like everyone else. Smoke and mirrors. I respect Seiko more than Rolex not for quality, they are both high quality, but because of their ongoing innovation.

I'm not a fan of their kinetic watches either (I used to own one) but are you familiar with their spring-drive?

But I agree with you about Omega as the Bond watch. I actually like Omega more than Rolex or Seiko.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
They were not just quartz. They have been making mechanical watches since the 1920's. To say that Rolex is somehow greater than Seiko is ridiculous. You have bought into a marketing gimmic like everyone else. Smoke and mirrors. I respect Seiko more than Rolex not for quality, they are both high quality, but because of their ongoing innovation.

I'm not a fan of their kinetic watches either (I used to own one) but are you familiar with their spring-drive?

But I agree with you about Omega as the Bond watch. I actually like Omega more than Rolex or Seiko.
I'm not caught up in any marketing, I haven't and never will buy a luxury brand like Rolex.
Spring drive is a total joke - they take a mechanical movement, govern it with a quartz crystal through a hugely complicated and expensive design and end up with a movement that is still way less accurate than quartz but requires costly servicing intervals. It is technology for the sake of technology, it's their pointless kiinetic idea on steroids. It is a total joke in my eyes.
Rolex has been around since 1905 and mechanical movements have been around since the 1700s, what are you talking about Seiko being an innovator for mechanical movements? Seiko sure as hell didn't invent the early hand wind watch, and here is a history of the automatic watch - nowhere is Seiko mentioned:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_watch

Old 01-05-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I'm not caught up in any marketing, I haven't and never will buy a luxury brand like Rolex.
Spring drive is a total joke - they take a mechanical movement, govern it with a quartz crystal through a hugely complicated and expensive design and end up with a movement that is still way less accurate than quartz but requires costly servicing intervals. It is technology for the sake of technology, it's their pointless kiinetic idea on sterhoids. It is a total joke in my eyes.
Rolex has been around since 1905 and mechanical movements have been around since the 1700s, what are you talking about Seiko being an innovator for mechanical movements? Seiko sure as hell didn't invent the early hand wind watch, and here is a history of the automatic watch - nowhere is Seiko mentioned:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_watch
Even if everything you said were true (none of it is) it doesn't change the fact the Rolex WAS an innovator. That's past tense, as in, "in the past". They have been resting on their laurels since the 1950's. The only thing new they have come up with is the Oyster-Quartz. A "luxury" quartz movement which is basically a cheap ripoff of Seiko with a higher price tag.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:12 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
The only thing new they have come up with is the Oyster-Quartz.
And they don't make those anymore. Didn't make many, either.
I think of it as the Rolex a really old guy buys because he doesn't move around enough to keep an automatic running.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Even if everything you said were true (none of it is) it doesn't change the fact the Rolex WAS an innovator. That's past tense, as in, "in the past". They have been resting on their laurels since the 1950's. The only thing new they have come up with is the Oyster-Quartz. A "luxury" quartz movement which is basically a cheap ripoff of Seiko with a higher price tag.
You have said a lot of things that aren't true, such as Seiko watches in the 70s and 80s were more valuable than Rolex watches and that Seiko were innovators of mechanical watch movements, but you haven't given any detail on what I have said that isn't true. Care to expand?
I can debate you all day on these things, because it's clear you have no idea what you speak of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty