U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 09:11 PM

27,374 posts, read 34,275,915 times

Advertisements

My BF is a watch guy, and loves Rolex's, but he'd never spend the money on one. He did buy a knockoff in NYC at Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 10:08 AM

2,587 posts, read 600,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My BF is a watch guy, and loves Rolex's, but he'd never spend the money on one. He did buy a knockoff in NYC at Christmas.

I don't get the point of a knockoff.......just like with designer purses.....fake Louis Vuitton purses are everywhere. Is this common for men...with watches...in the same way?

People can tell a knockoff IMO & if you don't have the real thing........it's like they just want to look like they have the real thing. So...they are buying it to look rich.......that makes no sense to me.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:31 AM

214 posts, read 132,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I don't get the point of a knockoff.......just like with designer purses.....fake Louis Vuitton purses are everywhere. Is this common for men...with watches...in the same way?

People can tell a knockoff IMO & if you don't have the real thing........it's like they just want to look like they have the real thing. So...they are buying it to look rich.......that makes no sense to me.
I totally agree with you. The only reason I can think of that would make someone buy a knockoff is that they want to look like they have a 'fancy' item to show off. Funnily enough most fake Rolex (add most other high end watches here) can easily be identified as a fake. It is only the 'high end' fakes that cost hundreds of dollars that are typically harder for the average person to identify.

I wear/like higher end mechanical watches like my Rolex watches because I enjoy horology and the history behind the brands. Also when you have a clear caseback on some of the watches, the beauty in the movement design is something I enjoy looking at. YMMV

Old 01-07-2020, 06:46 PM

27,374 posts, read 34,275,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post

No no...not his reason at all. He bought it because it was just a NYC thing that he always wanted to do. Buy a knockoff Rolex in the big apple. Bargain with the guy to see what kinda deal he could get. Just a fun thing. He won't even wear it LOL. He did get a pretty one though.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:45 PM

18,837 posts, read 4,685,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
There is a thread Do (Women Like their Rolex)So let's start this one about men.

So what do you men think about your Rolex and the one you own? If you don't have Rolex do you want one our thinking about buying a Rolex?

Merry Christmas
And happy New Year
i dont want a Rolex.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:03 PM

11,250 posts, read 13,259,394 times
Some people like "homage" watches more than "fake" ones. In other words, a legitimate watch inspired by the famous one, and it's not necessarily an exact replica either.

But I personally have nothing against the idea of fake watches. Would I want a fake OR a real Rolex? No. It's not my thing. But more power to those who do like them.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:55 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,446,785 times
In a watch, I need functional, not expensive. I have bought $10 watches that some people assumed were $500 watches. It doesn't matter one bit to me.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:10 AM

2,517 posts, read 877,746 times
I went for about a year and a half without even wearing my Rolex (or any watch).

I randomly grabbed it and put it back on and it hasn't come off in months, even when I sleep lol.

Old Today, 07:49 AM

6,590 posts, read 3,856,320 times
I only wear Gshocks, and I recently got an "expensive" (like, 400 euros but paid half of that) protrek casio watch which is solar powered and radio controlled, but looks nice nonetheless with analog and digital display (my favorite type).

I love watches, but Rolex is too expensive and I'm not a fan. If I had $$$ I'd probably get a Bell&Ross or an Omega instead.

Old Today, 09:13 AM

10,089 posts, read 2,919,236 times
My Rolox keeps great time!

I quite trying to impress people decades ago but hey if you like them, buy them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty