Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 05:04 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times

Advertisements

As well as the bones in the foot , nails also suffer from cramped shoes... I have one big toenail that just wont grow properly at all now and I blame for both injury and tight fitting pointed shoes since the 1960s..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 05:42 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
About the shoes too big question, they are just because the foot slides down towards the toe...gravity. They make little pads to put in shoes to stop sliding.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:46 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I just hope that my surgery turns out ok. I’ll be on a knee scooter for at least 4 weeks. My bunion has started to cause an inflammation of my entire foot, so that I can’t walk on it, so I guess I have no choice.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:18 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,167 times
I have hereditary foot problems exacerbated by running. I had haglunds (calcium bumps) deformity on both feet which resulted in a ruptured Achilles and 3 Achilles/haglunds related surgeries. I have a hereditary (non painful) bunion on one foot.

When I look at a pair of shoes, high fashion is not on my list of things that look enticing to me. The last time I visited a relative in a nursing home, I looked with great interest at the orthopedic shoes many were wearing and that interest turned to shoe lust. All of a sudden my feet were begging me to buy them and now that I have them my feet thank me.

I sit at a desk at work, my footsies are hidden under the desk. I am into athletics so I don't feel I need to prove anything with a fancy shmancy pair of feet killing shoes. These granny orthopedics rock!

Old 12-28-2018, 06:57 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,774,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Oh, I totally agree that wearing pointy high heels can give you bunions!

But believe, me some of us have messed up feet naturally.

Unfortunately, in some offices women have to dress “professionaly,” which is defined in part (by the males in charge) as wearing high heels. Of course, most female celebrities who walk red carpets as they promote their projects, do wear those sexy, but painful high heels. I hope that eventually women rebel against this expectation.
EVENTUALLY???? I rebelled 40 years ago! What are you waiting for?

I have NEVER worn heels to work. Let alone stilletos and all their ilk. Any "male" who doesn't like that can kiss off. When I was young and foolish, I did occasionally wear low heels "out" but soon discovered I could dance WAY better in flats. SO that didn't last long either.

My grandmother counteracted my mother's every attempt to feminize me to a crippling degree in many many ways. One of which made a lifetime impression. That was when she took me aside one day, pulled off her shoes, and showed me her feet - crippled and deformed by years of shoving her feet into the high heels required as "professional" attire at work. Yeah. Something specifically designed to make you swing your fanny in a titillizing fashion is "professional" workwear.

So no. I have never had any serious desire to wear high heels or any shoe that makes my feet hurt. I wear comfortable shoes and actually I haven't worn a shoe at all in 30 years. I wear rafting sandals. Sometimes even with socks. I have a pair of mowing shoes and that's it. No way will I let "the fashion industry" and self-appointed fashion police push me into wearing bad shoes and ruining my feet.

Plus think of all the money I've saved on shoes over the last 30+ years. I buy ONE PAIR of Tevos about every 7 or 8 years. Imelda I'm not.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:55 PM

6,450 posts, read 3,965,859 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, in some offices women have to dress “professionaly,” which is defined in part (by the males in charge) as wearing high heels. Of course, most female celebrities who walk red carpets as they promote their projects, do wear those sexy, but painful high heels. I hope that eventually women rebel against this expectation.
Ding. In a world where some companies' dress codes still specify that women must wear heels... this question needs to be asked?

Every time I'm on a plane I'm amazed that the female flight attendants have to wear heels. They spend a lot of time on their feet, possibly through turbulence and narrow aisles which may even be partially blocked... why on earth would they not be allowed, and even encouraged, to wear comfortable, stable shoes?? (Both for their sake and because, as a customer, I don't want hot coffee landing on my lap because the plane hit a bump and the flight attendant twisted an ankle...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Ladies, may be you can explain this to me. What's the reason for some women wearing shoes (usually heels) that are much bigger than their feet. You can stick two fingers in the back of the shoe and still have room left. It can't be by accident.
You can't always help it. Gravity makes your feet slide forward. I can promise you that I've put on shoes that are the right size, but once my foot slides, there's a gap in the back.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:25 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
First of all, we're going into 2019. If bosses are setting the expectation that women wear heels to look "professional," I'd be willing to wager that at least half of those bosses are females. Beyond that, women at and outside of work have, of their own accord, been stuffing themselves into shoes which look nothing like a human foot for decades. So let's stop blaming men.

As for celebrities on or off the red carpet, their mangled feet and toes have been the subject of many articles. Here's one of the few that's not a slide show (You're welcome lol), and the only one which included a pic of a man (Steven Tyler), whose grotesque feet could match any woman's. Ugh. When you squeeze your feet into too-small, misshapen shoes or sandals, this is what eventually happens:

https://www.nationalenquirer.com/pho...usting-photos/

Old 12-28-2018, 09:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just hope that my surgery turns out ok. I’ll be on a knee scooter for at least 4 weeks. My bunion has started to cause an inflammation of my entire foot, so that I can’t walk on it, so I guess I have no choice.
That time will pass fast, and you will be so glad you had it done. It sounds as if your foot hurts a lot now. So, I think you are doing the right thing. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
EVENTUALLY???? I rebelled 40 years ago! What are you waiting for?

I have NEVER worn heels to work. Let alone stilletos and all their ilk. Any "male" who doesn't like that can kiss off. When I was young and foolish, I did occasionally wear low heels "out" but soon discovered I could dance WAY better in flats. SO that didn't last long either.

My grandmother counteracted my mother's every attempt to feminize me to a crippling degree in many many ways. One of which made a lifetime impression. That was when she took me aside one day, pulled off her shoes, and showed me her feet - crippled and deformed by years of shoving her feet into the high heels required as "professional" attire at work. Yeah. Something specifically designed to make you swing your fanny in a titillizing fashion is "professional" workwear.

So no. I have never had any serious desire to wear high heels or any shoe that makes my feet hurt. I wear comfortable shoes and actually I haven't worn a shoe at all in 30 years. I wear rafting sandals. Sometimes even with socks. I have a pair of mowing shoes and that's it. No way will I let "the fashion industry" and self-appointed fashion police push me into wearing bad shoes and ruining my feet.

Plus think of all the money I've saved on shoes over the last 30+ years. I buy ONE PAIR of Tevos about every 7 or 8 years. Imelda I'm not.
I have not worn high heels in many years. But I know there are other women who have to follow a dress code.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:21 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
I have not worn high heels in many years. But I know there are other women who have to follow a dress code.
I had a dress code and I wore Hyacinth Bucket shoes. Rounded toe 1 inch heel Hush Puppies. They still make them, Angel 2. They were comfortable. Yeah. They weren’t attractive beautiful sexy shoes, but they didn’t kill my feet. They still make them.

And when I started wearing pants more, I found some gorgeous lace Keds. If management caught on, they didn’t care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty