U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 10:47 AM

11,254 posts, read 44,582,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm also dubious of anyone who has owned lots of models a watch brand they seem to hate. It doesn't add up.
OK, mr dubious …

first of all, there's no "hate" here … what I've reported is actual experiences with the items.

I didn't choose to buy the Seiko dive watches I owned … they were gifts to me. I bought the Tissot dive watches because I'd heard that Tissot was the manufacturer of a quality Swiss movement and had a "good" reputation, and the opportunity to buy them at what seemed a "good price" fell into my lap. I bought my Rolex SSub because of all the "hype" about how great the Rolex timekeeping movement was and the strong resale marketplace on Rolex watches … and it was from a Rolex rep who was retiring from the biz, so at a substantial discount from retail … yet the product failed to perform properly for me despite repeated warranty repairs and then paid "overhauls" to Rolex. In retrospect, that was an item I should have just given up on instead of throwing more good money after bad. I've known 3 other people with the same Rolex experience … crappy timekeeping in an otherwise very expensive watch (a couple of Rolex President gold models, and one with a pave' diamond face making it a rather expensive piece of jewelry worn only on "special dress" occasions. It was kept on a self-winding watch stand to keep it gently wound up when not being worn and the watch didn't keep time to better than 1 minute per day. A girlfriend was given a gold lady president model for her college graduation, and it also never kept good time … she traded it for a much less expensive Hamilton (which did keep time) and some cash so she could buy a car. In my experience … if you want jewelry, buy a Rolex if it suits your fancy. If you want a timekeeper … there's a lot of far less expensive watches which will do the job quite nicely.

Keep in mind there's a lot of promoted goods in the marketplace which don't always live up to their reputations.

We could just as easily be discussing cars, consumer appliances, audio gear, cameras, clothing items, shoes, medical items/devices/drugs, or any number of other products which don't always work out for the best for a purchaser. There's literally thousands of posts on this C-D forum where consumers haven't been very happy with their purchases …

does that make them all "haters" in your "dubious" assessment of their experiences?

Perhaps you're a consumer who has never had a less than perfect experience with everything you've ever bought?

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-29-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 10:51 AM

11,230 posts, read 13,235,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
I agree. There is nothing special about the brand.
That's really what I like about the brand. Unless you are buying something on their higher end line of Grand Seiko, then usually you are paying a fair price since you know they are not overpriced.

Other good brands have been mentioned like Tissot, Bulova, etc. Fossil.

I've always been interested in watches and never once thought of a watch as something that should be out of reach price-wise for anyone to own. That's why I never understood the appeal of Rolex, Patek, Cartier, etc. I would actually rather own something like a military issue Benrus.

I know people personally who have bought fake versions of popular items, sometimes repeatedly. Some people are able to get reeled in by snake oil salesmen pretty easily.

Last edited by OzzyRules; 12-29-2018 at 11:01 AM..

Old 12-29-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
OK, mr dubious …

first of all, there's no "hate" here … what I've reported is actual experiences with the items.

I didn't choose to buy the Seiko dive watches I owned … they were gifts to me.

Keep in mind there's a lot of promoted goods in the marketplace which don't always live up to their reputations.

We could just as easily be discussing cars, consumer appliances, audio gear, cameras, clothing items, shoes, medical items/devices/drugs, or any number of other products which don't always work out for the best for a purchaser. There's literally thousands of posts on this C-D forum where consumers haven't been very happy with their purchases …

does that make them all "haters" in your "dubious" assessment of their experiences?

Perhaps you're a consumer who has never had a less than perfect experience with everything you've ever bought?
Sorry. I can understand getting a gift like that. I guess some brands like Seiko and Rolex are going to be burdened with bad experiences due to the fake sellers.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:56 AM

15,312 posts, read 10,342,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
I agree. There is nothing special about the brand.
My recollection is Seiko's claim to fame was the first Japanese watch to challenge Switzerland as the watchmaking capital of the world. Offering quality at a price point that was simply not available on the market. I had one of their "eco drives" back in the late 60s. I bet it still works if I can find it. Pretty remarkable if you think about it.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:02 AM

5,659 posts, read 3,729,487 times
I bought a Seiko Sports 50 22 years ago for $99.00. Worn everyday and around the world. Keeps absolutely accurate time after all these years. Never a problem.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
My recollection is Seiko's claim to fame was the first Japanese watch to challenge Switzerland as the watchmaking capital of the world. Offering quality at a price point that was simply not available on the market. I had one of their "eco drives" back in the late 60s. I bet it still works if I can find it. Pretty remarkable if you think about it.
I think their fame in the western hemisphere was making the first popular quartz watch in the late 60's. Then people took notice because they discovered that Seiko had been making traditional watches for decades. The Japanese quality matched the Swiss.

The funny thing is that there is still a demand for high priced Swiss watches today. But it's all smoke and mirrors because there is nothing really special (physically) about the watches themselves. You can find similar quality in mid priced watches, and many of the luxury watchmakers use the exact same ETA brand movements found in cheaper watches.

At least Seiko actually makes their own movements, as does Rolex.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:17 AM

11,254 posts, read 44,582,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Sorry. I can understand getting a gift like that. I guess some brands like Seiko and Rolex are going to be burdened with bad experiences due to the fake sellers.

You also wrote today on the Rolex thread: "How many divers would actually use their Rolex for that purpose? Technically speaking a Rolex watch is overpriced jewelry." And above: "At least Seiko actually makes their own movements, as does Rolex."

In any event, neither of my Seiko or Rolex watches were fakes which you assert would be the causation of why they disappointed me. The Seiko's came with full factory registration/warranty papers in the boxes, having been purchased from a local Denver jewelry store (the owner was a mutual friend of the donor and me, we're all divers). The Rolex SSub, as I indicated, was purchased new and with full factory warranty, and received Rolex factory warranty service (either locally at Williams or they sent it out to Rolex factory workshop in Chicago) before the warranty time expired.

I bought my Rolex with full intentions of using it for dives to 120' depth. With a 1000' rating, I assumed that it would hardly be stressed in such use. As I've repeatedly pointed out, the issue with the watch was that while being a 'certified chronometer", it didn't keep time to within 2 minutes/day from new. And Rolex, despite claiming that the beat count was correct on the test stand, never could get it to keep better accuracy.

In comparison, my two Bulova's keep time to within a second per many months, as verified with Boulder's WWV timekeeping signal. Accurate timekeeping is a matter of simple electronics these days, as evidenced by the inexpensive GPS devices prevailing in the marketplace today.

PS: At the time I got the Seiko dive watch gifts, I was assisting my divemaster on "open water" dive certification trips in exchange for my dive trips that he booked. One came from the divemaster, who was also a customer of mine who owned several MB cars … the watch was a "tip" for having saved him $thousands on several repairs on his family's cars for cruise and climate control issues that were prevalent failures in the series of cars he owned. The second Seiko gift came from an appreciative dive student who I'd guided through the process of learning to dive after he'd had a bad experience with another group and was thoroughly intimidated by diving, yet wanted to do so with the rest of his family. I'd bought the Rolex because I was doing a lot of diving and it was far more durable than the sailboat racing watch that I'd been using, which wasn't rated as waterproof below 100'.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-29-2018 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-29-2018, 11:30 AM

I believe you could have had better luck with the Bulova as you claim, but it's also sometimes just dumb luck. I've owned two units of the same model quartz watch. One of them kept perfect time within less than one second a year. The other one had average performance.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:30 AM

5,027 posts, read 2,237,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
My recollection is Seiko's claim to fame was the first Japanese watch to challenge Switzerland as the watchmaking capital of the world.
On Christmas Day 1969, they were the first to offer a quartz watch, which caused a "Quartz Crisis" for the Swiss in the '70's.
In 1983 you could've bought Blancpain for less than $40k. Not one watch, the whole thing!

Old 12-29-2018, 03:05 PM
46H

1,083 posts, read 660,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
What do you think about Seiko watches for men looks/function/brand aspects? Good watch? Where are good places to get one at a good price?
Seiko has a good reputation for durability and accuracy. They (along with Citizen and Orient) supply some of the best under $500 watches in the entire industry. I have had over 15 different Seiko models, including one automatic since 1973, and they all still work and provide accurate timekeeping. They have never had a service. Seiko dive watches ( now the 200m class) are notoriously durable tool watches, sometimes available for under $200.

The Seiko SKX007 is a classic dive watch.
https://www.google.com/search?client...x-b-1&q=skx007

Here is an interesting article about Seiko dive watch history:
https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko...beater-divers/

Despite the single poster's bad review of a few examples, I would not hesitate to buy any Seiko.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty