Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 03:42 PM

182 posts, read 197,216 times

Advertisements

I thought Seiko watches had a good reputation too, but the Seiko 5 I bought for my husband a couple of Christmases ago didn't make it even one year. Never kept good time and finally just broke. Can't speak to the question of authenticity--purchased from Amazon. He went back to a cheap Timex and I'm sure it has now outlived the Seiko.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 03:55 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
I bought my one and only Seiko watch in 1994, a quartz kinetic. I have to replace the capacitor about every five or six years. Until recently it was simple, as Seiko dealers could swap the capacitors in about ten minutes. But apparently this is no longer allowed and I had to mail the watch to an authorized repair facility in Texas. So I went without for about six weeks and I think the cost was about double what it had been.

I still like the watch. It is accurate and never needs winding or battery replacement.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:06 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
What do you think about Seiko watches for men looks/function/brand aspects? Good watch? Where are good places to get one at a good price?
It all depends on what your looking for! I am a watch collector and my favorite watchers are all Diver watches, I just love the size and the way they look.

That being my preference, I have two Seiko diver watches that are over 15 years old, both automatic watches and one of them I wear almost every day, I love them.

I also own a Swiss automatic diverwatch that is great looking and very highly rated and although it was 10 times the price of the Seiko, it will probably require a $500 rebuild in less than 10 years.

Bottom line, the Seiko automatics are Excellent inexpensive watches. My other choice would definitely be a Citizen solar. I’ve had the Promaster Diver and it’s an incredible watch! Way more accurate than the Seiko’s day however I don’t mind readjusting from time to time since I value appearance more than accuracy since I really don’t need a watch, I carry an iPhone and that time would be Super exact.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:32 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
I bought my one and only Seiko watch in 1994, a quartz kinetic. I have to replace the capacitor about every five or six years. Until recently it was simple, as Seiko dealers could swap the capacitors in about ten minutes. But apparently this is no longer allowed and I had to mail the watch to an authorized repair facility in Texas. So I went without for about six weeks and I think the cost was about double what it had been.

I still like the watch. It is accurate and never needs winding or battery replacement.
I have a Seiko Kinetic watch disguised as an Oakley Time Bomb.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:58 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathedralhill1 View Post
I thought Seiko watches had a good reputation too, but the Seiko 5 I bought for my husband a couple of Christmases ago didn't make it even one year. Never kept good time and finally just broke. Can't speak to the question of authenticity--purchased from Amazon. He went back to a cheap Timex and I'm sure it has now outlived the Seiko.
Seiko 5 is a "dress" watch and hopefully those who wear them treat them as such. They are more fragile than most watches these days since there is more of a trend towards sportier watches.

Timex makes some rugged/field watches. Two different styles. So it's reasonable that a Timex could be more durable.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:44 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Seiko is a quality budget friendly alternative to high end brands. A nice daily watch for a middle class person. Obviously, nothing a high class executive would need to wear.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:34 AM

827 posts, read 658,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
I agree. There is nothing special about the brand.
If you want people to notice have on a Rolex, But when people take notice of a Rolex that could be good or bad.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:34 AM

827 posts, read 658,903 times
I bought this Seiko in Hong Kong 1967 or 68 while in the Army paid $35.00 for it. If I would have known I would have bought a big box load of Rolex's and another box load of Seikos. I had on my Seiko for about a year while in Vietnam and still have it and works like the day I bought it. That old Seiko does have some stories to tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Seiko watches for men-a75e0a06-1ba6-442d-822e-73ddc089bc5e.jpeg   Seiko watches for men-221ba35a-1a8b-4272-9e0b-9180d790343e.jpeg  

Old 12-30-2018, 10:41 AM

502 posts, read 391,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
I bought this Seiko in Hong Kong 1967 or 68 while in the Army paid $35.00 for it. If I would have known I would have bought a big box load of Rolex's and another box load of Seikos. I had on my Seiko for about a year while in Vietnam and still have it and works like the day I bought it. That old Seiko does have some stories to tell.
Yes some Seiko look sexy, I like them more after hearing the responses.

I like watches with somewhat larger dials at least 40 mm, are there any Seiko like that? Usually they seem to be smaller.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:47 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Yes some Seiko look sexy, I like them more after hearing the responses.

I like watches with somewhat larger dials at least 40 mm, are there any Seiko like that? Usually they seem to be smaller.
The Sports models (such as this one) are larger.

Mod cut: Copyrighted image.
Good looking watch.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-30-2018 at 04:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty