Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 09:00 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Diane von Furstenberg is one that comes to mind that was able to recapture where it left off, simply because its eponymous founder relaunched the company after a successful experiment in the late 1990s. Halston has also been relaunched as a bridge collection in department stores, using some of the heritage designs that has met with a degree of success.

Tommy Hilfiger still has creative input from the founder, so that makes for a change as to how the company has been able to have growth as of late, though the focus has changed from when it was originally launched.
My understanding is that the bridge approach killed Halston back in the day. I'm thinking about the JC Penny line.

Attitudes about bridge collections may have softened since then. Plus we have fast fashion like H&M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 09:09 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
My understanding is that the bridge approach killed Halston back in the day. I'm thinking about the JC Penny line.

Attitudes about bridge collections may have softened since then. Plus we have fast fashion like H&M.
Halston ended up not being able to use his own name commercially at the end, due to all of the varied licensing agreements. The success of the higher end lines was mixed with the fragrances, accessories, etc., where he lost control of the company for the licensing. Lord & Taylor has had Halston in store, which is a rebound from the JC Penney days that basically killed the prestige of Halston, despite the history of the brand's designs. Halston ended up being not too dissimilar from Pierre Cardin for a while, where the name is used for other purposes, and emblazoned on anything that could have a label.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-02-2019, 11:24 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Every time people see me in my Saucony sneakers, they very excitedly tell me how much they like them and that they haven't seen them in a long time. I am working on bringing them back.

I definitely agree with Converse.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:54 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Every time people see me in my Saucony sneakers, they very excitedly tell me how much they like them and that they haven't seen them in a long time. I am working on bringing them back.

I definitely agree with Converse.
I have gotten some comments like that when I wear my Pumas. It's also true of Converse. I didn't realize that Saucony had faded away. I had a few pairs of Saucony running shoes about 10 years ago.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:16 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I have gotten some comments like that when I wear my Pumas. It's also true of Converse. I didn't realize that Saucony had faded away. I had a few pairs of Saucony running shoes about 10 years ago.

Pumas have been pretty popular in the last 10-15 years where I live. Actually, I think I see them less now than a few years ago. I always liked the low profile Pumas that make your feet look tiny, but they are awful for support.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Halston ended up not being able to use his own name commercially at the end, due to all of the varied licensing agreements. The success of the higher end lines was mixed with the fragrances, accessories, etc., where he lost control of the company for the licensing. Lord & Taylor has had Halston in store, which is a rebound from the JC Penney days that basically killed the prestige of Halston, despite the history of the brand's designs. Halston ended up being not too dissimilar from Pierre Cardin for a while, where the name is used for other purposes, and emblazoned on anything that could have a label.
Lord & Taylor sounds like a much better fit.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:02 AM

I don't have any problem with dead brands coming back. There are acquisitions and so on and fashion isn't as big as it was in the twentieth century. You have a few companies owning the majority of the brands. Which suggests that fashion is not as profitable as it used to be. Which is probably a good thing because younger consumers are either smarter than we were at their age, not as conscious of designer labels, or have just learned not to take things as seriously.

Plus there are other things that are fashionable, like electronics, that were not back then.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:25 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Hmmm...

Arrow shirts?

Munsingwear underwear?

Hart Schaffner and Marx suits?

Knapp shoes?

Wildroot Cream Oil?

Aqua Velva?

Old 01-04-2019, 11:06 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Boston Traders was once a popular brand in the early 1980s. It was a preppy/outdoors brand, perhaps an alternative to LL Bean, with respect to clothing. I'm not sure what happened to it. It kind of faded away, relegated to discount store status like many brands. Anyway, I was surprised to find that it's still in business.

I was also shocked to discover that Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) is still among the living. They too were a popular retailer with its own clothing brand in the early 1980s.

https://bostontraders.com/pages/about

https://www.ems.com/on/demandware.st...ountain_Sports

Old 01-04-2019, 04:55 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Pumas have been pretty popular in the last 10-15 years where I live. Actually, I think I see them less now than a few years ago. I always liked the low profile Pumas that make your feet look tiny, but they are awful for support.
I got a pair of Puma driving shoes a while back. They make your feet look very small but as you say, they offer little to no support.

I learned that unless you're a race car driver, driving shoes make little sense. My driving is interspersed with a good amount of walking, and driving shoes are terrible to walk in because of the lack of support. And it makes little sense for me to have to change my shoes every time I get into or out of the car.

I mainly wear the Puma Suede and Basket for casual wear. I also have a pair of Adidas Superstar, another shoe that was very popular, largely disappeared and then came back. The Pumas were super popular back when I was I high school and college. They had a huge market penetration then when there were a lot fewer brands. It makes me feel younger when I put them on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty