Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 08:10 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have found the exact opposite. I remember when jeans were stiff and uncomfortable (in the 70's). Now they have softer fabric and more stretch in them. I hated the skinny jeans but now that I lost weight I bought two pairs and find them quite comfy.
I like how they look with tunics, but I still don’t like the feeling of tight denim against my legs...I like straight legs.

I like these...
https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...59?sku_0=::QDI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 09:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
In the 70s and early 80s, brand name jeans were the rage. Britannia Jeans, Calvin Klein and several other brands. You were lowbrow if you only wore levis. They were crazy expensive. Most of my friends stole theirs. I bought mine so I only had a couple of pairs. Even guys put them on wet and jumped up and down to get into them. Then they would dry to fit you, then you soaked them again and let them dry on you again. Eventually you could take them off and wash them again (and put them on wet). Sometimes you did not have to jump up and down to get into them, you could just lay on your bed in wiggle in.

But, if you thought those fancy brand jeans were expensive, try buying and maintaining a few black silk shirts with printed patterns that look like a black light poster.

According to an online calculator those shirts cost the equivalent of $172 in today's money. Of course you were not about to toss such a shirt into the washing machine. You either hand-washed them or had them professionally cleaned.

At lest velour was cheaper when that ugly stuff replaced silk as the key material for shirts. Yes, we looked like we were wearing a towel, but we felt like we were cool and stylish, and we could even afford to own more than two shirts.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:46 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
In the 70s and early 80s, brand name jeans were the rage. Britannia Jeans, Calvin Klein and several other brands. You were lowbrow if you only wore levis. They were crazy expensive. Most of my friends stole theirs. I bought mine so I only had a couple of pairs. Even guys put them on wet and jumped up and down to get into them. Then they would dry to fit you, then you soaked them again and let them dry on you again. Eventually you could take them off and wash them again (and put them on wet). Sometimes you did not have to jump up and down to get into them, you could just lay on your bed in wiggle in.

But, if you thought those fancy brand jeans were expensive, try buying and maintaining a few black silk shirts with printed patterns that look like a black light poster.

According to an online calculator those shirts cost the equivalent of $172 in today's money. Of course you were not about to toss such a shirt into the washing machine. You either hand-washed them or had them professionally cleaned.

At lest velour was cheaper when that ugly stuff replaced silk as the key material for shirts. Yes, we looked like we were wearing a towel, but we felt like we were cool and stylish, and we could even afford to own more than two shirts.

Lord, I forgot about that. LOLOL

Old 01-23-2019, 10:50 AM

3,067 posts, read 1,679,170 times
The other day I was walking towards Walgreen's and - I kid you not! - I watched three women outside, plus a couple more inside, all wearing big holes in the knees and some on the thighs. This, to me, is the dumbest look in jeans ever. Never liked it in the early 70's either.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:10 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Anyone else agree? Back in the ‘80s, people wore Levi’s and there were few jean alternatives, so the range of ugly jeans didn’t exist, and people wore jeans only in more casual environments. That was fine.
nope, not even close to accurate. Designer jeans started in the late 1970s and in the 1980s they were what people with even a tiny claim to any degree of fashion sensibility wore.

never mind that this entire thread is about passing off personal preference as fact.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:28 AM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSNAYY6vAgs

Last edited by katharsis; 01-23-2019 at 11:38 AM..

Old 01-23-2019, 11:58 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I am not up for the current trend of “wear jeans to everything”. They’re often ugly:

1. Whether or not they’re sold with a distressed appearance, they fade quickly. Nobody would wear pants, other than jeans. That had faded more in some places than others, creating an uneven look.

2. All of the pockets, rivets and stitching just look rough and amplify when the jeans don’t fit well. If you wear khakis or or other regular pants, if they don’t fit, they just look too big and you see wrinkles. If jeans don’t fit, you see so much on the jeans, such as light-colored stitching, that amplifies the lack of fit.

3. Back pockets on jeans are almost never used and the designs on them can be ugly.

Anyone else agree? Back in the ‘80s, people wore Levi’s and there were few jean alternatives, so the range of ugly jeans didn’t exist, and people wore jeans only in more casual environments. That was fine.

Khakis, or jeans that are all one color (such as beige or black), are more presentable.

Anyone agree?
Some people prefer the pressed look, but that's ruined when someone washes then dries the jeans on high heat. Threads in the seams shrink and give the bumpy, lumpy appearance.

My grandpa starches and irons a crease into his yard jeans. His neighbor mows the grass in dress pants. Definitely a different generation but I agree it's possible for jeans to fit (according to numbers) but not really fit.

My issue is finding tailors who are able to replicate the original seam when hemming jeans. Always looks like a dress pants-style hem.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:32 PM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:

Ugh. I never did that. But I did lay on the floor to zip my Lee jeans.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:33 PM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Some people prefer the pressed look, but that's ruined when someone washes then dries the jeans on high heat. Threads in the seams shrink and give the bumpy, lumpy appearance.

My grandpa starches and irons a crease into his yard jeans. His neighbor mows the grass in dress pants. Definitely a different generation but I agree it's possible for jeans to fit (according to numbers) but not really fit.

My issue is finding tailors who are able to replicate the original seam when hemming jeans. Always looks like a dress pants-style hem.
I don't even put my jeans in the dryer anymore. Just hang them to dry.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't agree. Jeans more than any article of clothes, need to fit well. Depending upon the jeans, they can flatter your figure or show it's flaws.

It isn't the 1980s. There are many styles of jeans out there. Not all are rough. Actually, designer jeans came out in the late 1970s.

I like American Eagle and Express jeans. I only wear denim and black. I don't like, and I have never worn, "dress pants". I wear dresses, skirts and jeans.

I wear yoga pants to yoga class. Lounge wear around the house - or jeans.

There seems to be regional differences in perceptions of jeans. Some older people thing of them as work clothes or farmer's clothes.
Oh c’mon. I’m 72. I am very familiar with designers jeans which have been around since the 1970s. And most of us older folk have worn many pairs of jeans throughout our lives.

If there is one piece of national dress in this country, it is a pair of jeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty