Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2019, 11:17 AM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times

Advertisements

I am not up for the current trend of “wear jeans to everything”. They’re often ugly:

1. Whether or not they’re sold with a distressed appearance, they fade quickly. Nobody would wear pants, other than jeans. That had faded more in some places than others, creating an uneven look.

2. All of the pockets, rivets and stitching just look rough and amplify when the jeans don’t fit well. If you wear khakis or or other regular pants, if they don’t fit, they just look too big and you see wrinkles. If jeans don’t fit, you see so much on the jeans, such as light-colored stitching, that amplifies the lack of fit.

3. Back pockets on jeans are almost never used and the designs on them can be ugly.

Anyone else agree? Back in the ‘80s, people wore Levi’s and there were few jean alternatives, so the range of ugly jeans didn’t exist, and people wore jeans only in more casual environments. That was fine.

Khakis, or jeans that are all one color (such as beige or black), are more presentable.

Anyone agree?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 11:19 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Pretty much anything can be ugly. Jeans are not exempt.

As for :
Quote:
Back in the ‘80s, people wore Levi’s and there were few jean alternatives, so the range of ugly jeans didn’t exist, and people wore jeans only in more casual environments
I saw plenty of ugly and non-Levis jeans growing up in the 70s.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:29 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I am not up for the current trend of “wear jeans to everything”. They’re often ugly:

1. Whether or not they’re sold with a distressed appearance, they fade quickly. Nobody would wear pants, other than jeans. That had faded more in some places than others, creating an uneven look.

2. All of the pockets, rivets and stitching just look rough and amplify when the jeans don’t fit well. If you wear khakis or or other regular pants, if they don’t fit, they just look too big and you see wrinkles. If jeans don’t fit, you see so much on the jeans, such as light-colored stitching, that amplifies the lack of fit.

3. Back pockets on jeans are almost never used and the designs on them can be ugly.

Anyone else agree? Back in the ‘80s, people wore Levi’s and there were few jean alternatives, so the range of ugly jeans didn’t exist, and people wore jeans only in more casual environments. That was fine.

Khakis, or jeans that are all one color (such as beige or black), are more presentable.

Anyone agree?
OK, we get it; you don't like jeans. I haven't worn denim-colored jeans in decades. I don't mind colored jeans, though. But the only time I've been on a job location that allowed jeans (this was before "casual Fridays", and "casual everything"), everyone was expected to wear new ones in good condition. By "new", I mean non-distressed new.

But times have changed, I guess? Now any kind of jeans are accepted? It really depends on the workplace, though, or the type of social occasion, or the crowd. I don't agree that it's ok to wear jeans to everything. YMMV.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:33 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Anyone agree?
Nope. It isn't the denim that makes one ugly and another not.
VF corp announces new company name as KONTOOR INC.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:13 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
when I was in school....the poor kids would have jeans with holes in them...… decades later im bringing my son clothes shopping and he wants the hole-ly ones...brand new

jeans don't bother me....

seeing hunter orange at a wedding reception...yeah that gets on my nerves

Old 01-20-2019, 01:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I love jeans! Pockets, rivets, whatever.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
The solution is to buy nice, well-fitting jeans, no?

I wear jeans and knit pants almost exclusively now. The reason? Jeans seem to fit. Almost everything else doesn’t.

Faded denim really appeals to me, frankly. But I like black jeans too. And I own pink jeans and wheat colored jeans. Today, I am wearing a pair of modern bootcuts with a pair of booties. This passes for style for me.

The ugliest jeans I ever saw were those pairs with heavily decorated pockets on the back. That’s just what I need—sparkle on my backside. Not!

Old 01-20-2019, 01:46 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,868,950 times
Clearly most people don't agree or they wouldn't be so popular. Compared to most styles of pants they do look a lot better.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:49 PM

6,109 posts, read 4,602,134 times
I agree with OP. Many look like they've been dug out of a filth infested dumpster.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:41 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I agree with OP. Many look like they've been dug out of a filth infested dumpster.
LOLOL! Thanks for my laugh of the day. Don't hold back, Jowel; tell us how you REALLY feel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty