Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 11:35 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,236,300 times

Advertisements

I agree, no one asks this question expecting a negative response. lol

For the most part, though, when I look at most people, I can easily see them at either 10 years younger or 10 years older than their actual age. Most people seem to have a big range, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 05:45 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times
Interestingly, if a pre-teen were to ask this question, they'd hope you'd guess they were OLDER!

Old 02-05-2019, 03:59 PM

561 posts, read 324,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
When I was asked, I had to go out to my car to get my I.D. (I had planned to just run into the store with my money, and run back out.) I was pleasant about it. The guy's just doing his job. I was like "Oh! OK, let me run back out to the car."

When I showed him my I.D., he blushed and thanked me, and gave me back my I.D.

For the record, I don't think I was a 40 yr. old that looked like an 18 yr. old. IMO, MAYBE I could've passed for 30. But not even I am vain enough to think I looked 18 or younger at the time.
I worked in a convenience store and it was habit no matter how old a person looked. I'm not good at guessing and if I sold to someone underage I would get fired AND have to pay the fine. (The store and the employee are fined separately) It wasn't worth it to me to be wrong so I carded EVERYONE unless they were there literally every day and I knew them by name. Even then I could get written up for breaking store policy if the wrong supervisor witnessed my not asking regardless of how old they actually were.

Also, for the record, senior discounts are a mine field. Some get offended if you offer no matter what amount they may save and some are mad if you don't ask and they didn't get their 10% off.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:01 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I always just say that I have no idea.

Someone asking you to guess their ages is fishing for a compliment.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:10 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
I never play this game. It is so childish and embarrassing. Who in the heck cares how old you are or look? I’ll pass on that question everytime.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:19 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In all fairness, I have a niece who is 35 and does speech therapy in middle schools. She serves several schools. She's constantly asked for her hall pass, or told students aren't allowed in the teacher's lounge.

Hilarious. Her husband is her age, and they're constantly mistaken for being father and daughter.
Bless her--she has what I call the "terminally cute" gene

I'm 67 and people assume I'm 10-15 years younger. When they find out my true age I tell them it's good genes--both of my parents didn't look their age.

Youth is not just looks--it's how you carry yourself. A sense of humor and a positive attitude takes years off of you!

Last edited by Daisy Grey; 02-05-2019 at 10:30 PM..

Old 02-06-2019, 08:05 AM

561 posts, read 324,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post

Do you really think the clerk in Missouri thought you were under 18? *eyeroll* I guess it may've been a really dumb clerk, or stoned clerk, or just to be safe and not get fired/in trouble I'll card EVERYone who isn't obvi 75+, clerk.
You forgot the clerk who doesn't give a crap, doesn't have time to play games, sees too many faces in a day and isn't going to risk the fine. If they fail a sting the store gets fined AND the clerk gets fined and the store isn't paying it for them. Some stranger too lazy to pull out an ID wasn't worth that to me. You usually have to get your wallet out to get the cash or card out to pay anyway so it shouldn't be any trouble to just show your ID. You know perfectly well when the product you're buying requires one, it's not like a pop quiz that no one is expecting. The ones that gave me a hard time would get one right back and I'd remember them so I could be sure to ID them EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:18 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Some businesses just have a policy of carding EVERYONE regardless of age, like Target. Prevents issues.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:09 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,680,944 times
Whenever people ask this, they always want to hear you guess a younger age than they actually are.

Unfortunately for them all, I happen to be extremely good at 'seeing' ages, and I do not lie when they ask me. I have seen many faces crush because I was spot-on.

I think the youngest looking person I've seen was a woman at the office one day being helped by a co-worker. I was interrupted to guess her age and I looked at her and said 41, which was her actual age. They were both surprised. I do not know what gave her face away but something did. But I did tell her that she was the youngest looking 40-sum year I'd ever seen and meant it.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:21 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
When our youngest was around 6 or 7 I overheard the following conversation between him and our neighbor, who was in his mid-70's:

Son: Mr. ____, how old are you?
Neighbor: How old do you think I am?
Son: 100??

Thankfully, neighbor had a sense of humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty