Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2020, 05:15 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Maybe because you are in NY. Europeans to me dress way better than people in the Midwest and south.
Well if you're judging from the rural South and Midwest then yes, but as far as cities go, I don't see a huge difference. I just came back from Austin and the spectrum of clothing I've seen is quite similar to what I see in New York (less winter gear though, of course).

But I guess you would see more dusty looking people if you're in any city with a very low average income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Depends on wear. Manhattan has well dressed folk (If you like that style I guess) alongside Brooklyn and LIC. Anywhere else is equally bad/worse than anywhere. The average New Yorker dresses average.
Yeah while there is a fashion scene, a large chunk of the city's population doesn't really participate in that. A cab driver from Bangladesh or a cook from Mexico are likely not going to be dressed very well, which there's nothing wrong with of course.

I also think that the internet is killing many different regional differences, which includes fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 09:43 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times
Quote:
Can’t post this without posting examples. I have not seen any fashion trends that dominate America started from anywhere outside of NY and perhaps LA!
I think like most things today,more places have begun to show influence due to more cities are becoming more prominent

Old 03-04-2020, 12:37 PM

41 posts, read 29,749 times
Quote:
Maybe because you are in NY. Europeans to me dress way better than people in the Midwest and south.
One, I wish we'd stop saying "Europeans". That is a continent. It would make as much sense to declaratively say "North Americans dress better than Oceanians" or "Asians dress better than Africans".

Two, I find many people in much of the south to be very stylish, and in an interesting and distinct way.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:31 PM

795 posts, read 483,195 times
The problem with a top ___ list is that for any given criteria - there might not be enough choices to honestly answer. The result? Responses padded with random major cities just to fill the requirement, in this case more than 5...

My opinion, in all honesty, New York City and Los Angeles for The United States. I would pick a city each from Canada and Mexico (they don't follow EVERY fashion trend we have, I can't answer which cities as I don't have enough knowledge on that). That would be it for North America.

Question should be phrased as What are the fashion capitals of North America? There aren't 10, so random cities pad the remaining spots as answers... Giving an inauthentic answer.

I can appreciate the OP's idea for question though - fashion is fun!

Last edited by CinderFella7; 04-26-2020 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-29-2020, 12:21 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
NYC, LA, Miami.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:58 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Interesting report I stumbled on here, IFDAQ Global fashion & industry cities index. They have three categories in the top 20 for brands, magazines and agencies. For brands, the top three in N.A are: NYC, LA and Montreal. For magazines, only 2 N.A cities crack the top 20 (NYC/TO) and agencies it's NYC, LA and Toronto. Never seen this before but I guess it's another metric to look at and consider alongside others.
[Q2, 2020 report]

Report Q2 2020 - IFDAQ Global Fashion & Luxury Cities Index

Old 11-29-2020, 01:10 PM

1,393 posts, read 861,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Interesting report I stumbled on here, IFDAQ Global fashion & industry cities index. They have three categories in the top 20 for brands, magazines and agencies. For brands, the top three in N.A are: NYC, LA and Montreal. For magazines, only 2 N.A cities crack the top 20 (NYC/TO) and agencies it's NYC, LA and Toronto. Never seen this before but I guess it's another metric to look at and consider alongside others.
[Q2, 2020 report]

Report Q2 2020 - IFDAQ Global Fashion & Luxury Cities Index
Additional proof it’s nyc and then everyone else

Old 11-29-2020, 02:28 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Additional proof it’s nyc and then everyone else
Is this even up for debate? Lol...

Old 11-29-2020, 02:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
NYC
LA
Miami
Atlanta
Vegas

All other citiersd after cotton picking on impact

Old 11-29-2020, 02:47 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
NYC

SF/Bay

LA
Miami

The top 4 are obvious

Atlanta -Hip Hop/Urban Fashion

Chicago-Hip Hop Urban fashion hi-end shops
DC- The DC prep look, corporate fashion, dreads, DC has had urban brands and popularized Foams and New Balance ecclectic hip hop fashion
Boston-Classical/ Prep attire, well-known streetwear brands (Olivier, Bodega, Karmaloop) and HQ for many lifestyles/athletic apparel brands like Reebok, 47 Brand, Puma, New Balance, Converse. Tons of high end shop

To me DC and Boston are interchangeable but w/e. All these cities get exclusive fashion releases/boutiques before other cities in the US.

I've voted on this poll before, but I see it again and now that I'm in a different place in life I vote again.

Houston? Vegas? Dallas? Just fishing there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty