Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2020, 11:11 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,534,932 times

Advertisements

Parts, not all, of SoBe can be like Vegas...what happens here stays here (like the commercial with the guys parading around a metal flower vase pretending it’s a sporting championship cup). Then again there are those who will pay $150 just to enter a club, drop $1500 for a table, and then wonder why they don’t have a pot to **** in....but that’s a limited, if not visible, segment of the city.

At the same time, others (not you) make the suggestion there’s no money in this town (we’re all lesser educated bartenders who came over on rafts), yet standalone high end fashion boutiques such as Kiton, Berluti, Brioni, Canali, Richard Mille, Graff, etc etc not found in 98 - 99% of other US cities thrive here. Strange argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Didn't say they're not out-of-towners.
As a matter-of-fact, my example of the postal worker from Melbourne is a true story. It's out-of-towners, going down there, looking to make an impression, because they're in Miami.
I'm speaking specifically about the wannabees, which are generally the ones flaunting around overpriced name-brand junk in an attempt to look like celebrities.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-30-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 11:18 AM

626 posts, read 462,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
From what I've seen, from my personal experience, yes.

Maybe the girls in Miami are just so sexy that the guys feel the need to impress them? Could be primal.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:20 AM

17,119 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Maybe the girls in Miami are just so sexy that the guys feel the need to impress them? Could be primal.
LOL!!! Could be...

Old 11-30-2020, 11:42 AM

9,851 posts, read 6,562,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
NYC, LA, Miami.

Honestly the rest could be bickered about and torn apart all day long. Those are the only three cities in the US that truly set fashion trends and where fashion is truly a staple of the city's culture.
Atlanta is a clear fourth and I agree from there

Old 11-30-2020, 12:18 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,908,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Quality brands emanating from Boston and surroundings

Timberland-Stratham NH
Alden
J Press-New Haven CT
LL Bean-Maine
Sperry
Bodega
Karmaloop
Raw
Olivier- Providence, RI (the NBAs favorite street wear brand)
New Balance
Reebok
Converse
Antonio Ansaldi
Vineyard Vines
Bostonian dress shoes
The Black Dog
47 Brand
PUMAs North American headquarters

High End Boutiques like Riccardi, Adidas Concepts, Alan Bilzerian and dozens of other boutiques in every corner of the city.

Boston played a major role in the popularity of small logo polo shirts, peacoats (common in Boston but also the US Navy’s official supplier, sterling wear makes the coats in Boston since 1965), bean boots, athlesiure, Sperry, Nike Airmax 90 (go to Irish catholic Dorchester, wow), scally caps, hockey Jersey as hip hop fashion (almighty RSO were first to do so, See: Antonio Ansaldi),Patagonia, North Face and the Gumby hairstyle(Bobby brown)

I could do a somewhat similar list for DC. If you don’t see it in these cities...you’ve got blinders on
Thing is, in 2020, content via social media is what drives fashion. So much of it has become a content business.

I think those advocating for Houston, Atlanta, Chicago as the next best thing behind NYC and LA, have a point. Boston is not as heavily involved in that content/influencer corner of the world from what I can see. Despite the high end brick and mortar retail in Boston's MSA, and despite the notable brands HQed in Greater Boston, and despite the affluence, it doesn't have it's finger print on current fashion like so many other areas. I'd say the same about Philadelphia and San Francisco.

Houston, ATL, Chicago all seem to have a very entrepreneurial, content driven fashion ecosystem. LA far and away exceeds every other city, including NYC, in this space. NYC shines, as it's the stomping grounds for so many foreign/domestic designers.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:33 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,710,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Thing is, in 2020, content via social media is what drives fashion. So much of it has become a content business.

I think those advocating for Houston, Atlanta, Chicago as the next best thing behind NYC and LA, have a point. Boston is not as heavily involved in that content/influencer corner of the world from what I can see. Despite the high end brick and mortar retail in Boston's MSA, and despite the notable brands HQed in Greater Boston, and despite the affluence, it doesn't have it's finger print on current fashion like so many other areas. I'd say the same about Philadelphia and San Francisco.

Houston, ATL, Chicago all seem to have a very entrepreneurial, content driven fashion ecosystem. LA far and away exceeds every other city, including NYC, in this space. NYC shines, as it's the stomping grounds for so many foreign/domestic designers.
I have seen anything from Houston or Chicago at all in regard to fashion in social media. My Instagram, personally, is full of Boston area designers and influencers. Many of whom have celebrity or corporate co-signs.

I know folks in Boston who have had high profile ads for Polo and Nike. We’ve discussed a nauseam how there a enormous culture divide within Boston an fits own perception of what popular vs what’s not. I can only speak to this because my best of friend was a top client for Maggie’s Agency on Newbury street. He now lives in LA.

Bostonian:
https://images.app.goo.gl/kMSNULnmqaS6qhks7

Bostonian: https://weartesters.com/bodega-x-asi...rials-anatomy/

Providencian, but lived in Boston in later years: https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...e-art.amp.html

Bostonian: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaSTkA0l...=11ehtg3bfhf6c

Bostonian: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/87/84...9217377aa0.jpg

Bostonian: https://instagram.com/thelabelltd?igshid=8icrd8eqsxct

Bostonian: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFIW7den...d=fu4fvh75mlri

But fwiw even though it’s 2020 things like clustering and having the creative content curators and innovators in footwear living in Boston or any other city is real and important

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 11-30-2020 at 12:44 PM..

Old 11-30-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I have seen anything from Houston or Chicago at all in regard to fashion in social media. My Instagram, personally, is full of Boston area designers and influencers. Many of whom have celebrity or corporate co-signs.

I know folks in Boston who have had high profile ads for Polo and Nike. We’ve discussed a nauseam how there a enormous culture divide within Boston an fits own perception of what popular vs what’s not. I can only speak to this because my best of friend was a top client for Maggie’s Agency on Newbury street. He now lives in LA.

Bostonian:
https://images.app.goo.gl/kMSNULnmqaS6qhks7

Bostonian: https://weartesters.com/bodega-x-asi...rials-anatomy/

Providencian, but lived in Boston in later years: https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...e-art.amp.html

Bostonian: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaSTkA0l...=11ehtg3bfhf6c

Bostonian: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/87/84...9217377aa0.jpg

Bostonian: https://instagram.com/thelabelltd?igshid=8icrd8eqsxct

Bostonian: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFIW7den...d=fu4fvh75mlri

But fwiw even though it’s 2020 things like clustering and having the creative content curators and innovators in footwear living in Boston or any other city is real and important
Houston and Chicago are two of the primary trend setters in hip hop fashion. You can say “that’s the only category” but it’s the most trendy category right now and has been for a while.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Houston and Chicago are two of the primary trend setters in hip hop fashion. You can say “that’s the only category” but it’s the most trendy category right now and has been for a while.
No it’s not, not in wider American culture. Business attire would be just as important. Let alone high fashion. Also I would delineate street west and hip hop fashion. Two different styles appealing to overlapping demographics. Regardless Boston has set trends in hip hop fashion that we still recognize today. New Edition as a group (really BBD) was known primarily for their fashion in the 1990s. Also I’m not sure what hip hop fashion trends Houston has set outside of grills. Albeit Beyoncé who no longer lives in Houston has Ivy Park. Which literally just came out.

The general shopping experience in Boston is also superb. This is not an area Boston lacks in at all.

Bodega as a bar and is based in Boston and only has a satellite in LA. It’s Twitter account has 250k followers including Ebro of Hot 97, Deion Sanders, Sole Collectors, Kam Bennet and more. Push a T could be found shopping at Riccardi on Newbury.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
No it’s not, not in wider American culture. Business attire would be just as important. Let alone high fashion. Also I would delineate street west and hip hop fashion. Two different styles appealing to overlapping demographics. Regardless Boston has set trends in hip hop fashion that we still recognize today. New Edition as a group (really BBD) was known primarily for their fashion in the 1990s. Also I’m not sure what hip hop fashion trends Houston has set outside of grills. Albeit Beyoncé who no longer lives in Houston has Ivy Park. Which literally just came out.

You mean an entire style? Houston and Chicago introduce entire new styles. The general shopping experience in Boston is also superb. This is not an area Boston lacks in at all.
Grills are a small part of Houston’s hip hop contribution. Its an entire style. Revolutionized how Air Force 1s are used, denims, etc. Not to mention home of the #1 celebrity jeweler who’s the most influential hip hop jeweler of all. Johnny Dang says hi. Like Houston, Chicago is a regional dominant hip hop trend setter that Boston isn’t.

Business attire is not trendy. It’s classic but not trendy. Hip hop fashion is far more trendy right now. Hip hop fashion has expanded far beyond hip hop culture and into pop culture. Crazy you’d even question that. This entire post, you’ve brought up extremely outdated trends. What are you? 100? Thought you were in your 20s. And now you really think Boston has a similar caliber scene smh. I respect putting on for your home town, but you’re over doing here.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Grills are a small part of Houston’s hip hop contribution. Its an entire style. Revolutionized how Air Force 1s are used, denims, etc. Not to mention home of the #1 celebrity jeweler who’s the most influential hip hop jeweler of all. Johnny Dang says hi. Like Houston, Chicago is a regional dominant hip hop trend setter that Boston isn’t.

Business attire is not trendy. It’s classic but not trendy. Hip hop fashion is far more trendy right now. Hip hop fashion has expanded far beyond hip hop culture and into pop culture. Crazy you’d even question that. This entire post, you’ve brought up extremely outdated trends. What are you? 100? Thought you were in your 20s. And now you really think Boston has a similar caliber scene smh. I respect putting on for your home town, but you’re over doing here.
Business attire follows trends and I would say can be very trendy.

Houston revolutionized Air Force 1s? What? Denim? Legit-what are you talking about?

You view pretty much everything through a hip hop only lens. And still Houston’s only notable contribution was 100% tack and not fashion.

That’s it’s entire contribution to the fashion world.

Houston’s resume compared to Boston is an absolute one way thing in favor of Boston. Houston doesn’t even have brands.

You’re talking about trendy hip hop stuff which I don’t even give Houston credit for like I do Chicago(moncler/robin jeans) DC(foams/NB/dreads) or ATL (not sure what to put here-just appeasing the masses). I’m talking about a fashion capital where folks are headquartered an manufacturing and has a history in the garment/textile industry. None of that is Houston. Boston also has some influencers and high end boutiques that I haven’t seen a match for in Houston from you. Not to mention a street like Newbury or a mall in the city like Copley Place...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty