Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 05:25 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,569,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I'm 67 so I guess I've earned the right to wear them
Everyone should wear what they want to wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 05:48 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
Perception is reality. Literally. Studies have even shown that people who think of themselves as "old", feel "old" and worry about being "old" actually age faster than people who feel young and carefree.
Agree!! When I was around 45, I was asked my age by a little Asian girl. I couldn't think of my age right off the bat, so I told her that I was born in 1958 and she needed to do the math. Basically, once I became an adult, I stopped counting my years. And my family, when wishing anyone a happy birthday, never mentioned the age in the salutation. After all, we aren't a number, we're just an adult human being. Meanwhile, all of my other friends had birthday greetings from their family members always mentioning their age and how OLD they were becoming. And IMO that's kind of sad, especially the older one gets.
Quote:
I think this is very true. I also rarely wear makeup. Not only the tugging but all the weird chemicals on your face all the time... Plus I think makeup really ages you. If I put on a thick face of makeup I think my skin looks 10 years older than it actually is. Without makeup I look pretty fresh and nice. This is probably because makeup settles into your fine lines and wrinkles. I've tried the "age defying" brands that claim not to do this, and they still did.
Yup, Foundation just accentuates the lines and wrinkles.

I guess my other ways of staying young at heart...

1. I love my manual transmission cars and enjoy driving on a twisty country road.
2. I try to be happy and have at least one good laugh a day.
3. I try to learn something new every day and keep my brain lubricated.
4. I never wear uncomfortable shoes. Especially high heels. And because of that I don't have any pain lines on my face and my feet look the same as when I was a teenager. No bunions, hammer toes or callouses.
5. I didn't have children. So no varicose veins on my legs. I can still rock short shorts and mini skirts as well as young women in their 20's.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:01 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
There are quite a few over 50 fashion bloggers, the popular ones all have their own style, it seems like that's key, being yourself.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:56 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Imagine if both sexes stopped dyeing their hair, getting plastic surgery, and toned down on the make-up. People would actually show their age.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
From a distance clothing and hair style can make someone look younger chronologically, but if close, I can usually ascertain a proximate age by face, neck and hands. Too much makeup or those with 'overly taut, perpetual pouting lip' faces with mannequin like stiffness of fascia muscles are a turnoff.

Upon engaging them in person I find the personality and fitness (how they move) will make many look younger IMHO. I realize everyone's 'chassis' ages but when women have a well running engine (active lifestyle) and suspension (muscle tone and displacement) they tend to always look younger than their peers. There's something about that feline playful ready to spring quality to their step, or the smooth movement of a toned fit female. Couple that with a more natural look like that used by catalog models and you get those natural beauties that are such a delight.

Last year at a wedding reception I met a woman (married) who was 58 (research) and she looked a good ten years younger. She seemed to wear the right amount of makeup, kept fit for her body type and dressed classy. Still looked attractive to me. There is a late 70s Hungarian woman who lives near and she still looks attractive and younger than her years by her personality and movement.

The problem with women's fashion styles (and men's too lesser degree) is the frequency of change for changes sake. Perhaps as demand creation men's are changing as frequently, but I think most men tend to not spend as much time, thought, and money on the whims of fashion industry (clothing and hair) to same degree as the majority of women (generalization - I know).

A result is people in older 'styles' may sometimes convey an outward appearance of older based on a conditioned perception.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:15 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Because they are unattractive.

If you like them, wear them. Personally I do not like them nor have I seen anyone they flatter. Fort the most part they chop off your legs at the widest part of your calf.
That's only a problem for people who have ugly, fat calves.

Just sayin'. I look my best in capris. They show off slender well defined muscles in calves, and slender ankles, but bypass 40 something kind of former athletic knees.

The "widest part of my calf" is not an esthetics issue for everyone, as it would seem on this board. Some people look really lovely in capris, and I'm going to say I'm one of them.

Although I've gotta say, those ugly stovepipe wide capris are ugly on everyone. Even the most perfect body isn't flattered by that look.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I just came back to this thread to edit my post - I don't know why I said 60, except in my observation, women 70+ don't often choose to wear them.
I always associate capris with older women who probably wore them as teenagers in the 50s and 60s and still hold on to that time period as being fashionable.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:04 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And I don't wear makeup. IMO what has really help me "defy gravity" is that I have not worn eyeliner since my 20's. All that applying and removing of eye makeup tugs at the delicate skin around the eyes. So I have don't have much in the way of wrinkles on my face because of not having put on and taken off makeup every day of my adult life.
Or more likely, because of genetics.

I wear makeup almost every day, especially eye makeup. I have since I was a teen. I don't have the fine lines around my eyes like so many other people around my age have already developed.

My mom is in her mid 60s, and despite wearing makeup, she does not have many wrinkles on her face. But neither did my grandmother, who also wore makeup every day.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:08 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Agree!! When I was around 45, I was asked my age by a little Asian girl. I couldn't think of my age right off the bat, so I told her that I was born in 1958 and she needed to do the math. Basically, once I became an adult, I stopped counting my years. And my family, when wishing anyone a happy birthday, never mentioned the age in the salutation. After all, we aren't a number, we're just an adult human being. Meanwhile, all of my other friends had birthday greetings from their family members always mentioning their age and how OLD they were becoming. And IMO that's kind of sad, especially the older one gets.
Yesterday was my 3rd oldest son’s birthday & I did mention his age because next year; he will turn 30! And it’s just so weird to me to think that in a year, I will have 3 kids in their 30’s!

Just one year & two months ago I was in my 40’s & had one kid in his 30’s. What the heck! He thinks it’s funny.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:01 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Tonight my brother brought home a young woman who looked to me to be about 15 years old. I said, Dude... you need to check her ID. ( he’s 29). Turns out she’s 23 and a paralegal/ law school student. She wasn’t wearing any makeup when I met her. Later he showed me a picture of her wearing makeup, an updo and business attire which made her look closer to her age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty